Only in America

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I was born in Los Angles, and stationed in the Mojave Desert. I had someone try and tell me Los Angles starts at the ocean and spreads all the way to the Nevada state line. Yeah, right.

I was born in Los Angles, and stationed in the Mojave Desert. I had someone try and tell me Los Angles starts at the ocean and spreads all the way to the Nevada state line. Yeah, right.
I'm telling you, people are dumb. Especially tourist. Especially American tourist. I saw some tourist from Ohio get heir car towed for not paying the valet and parking fee. They decided they would park in a private parking lot that required you pay. They got upset when the tow-truck hooked up their car. Their excuse was that they were from Ohio, and they don't pay people to park their car. I'm pretty sure they paid far more than the parking fee when they went to get their car released.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
USians tourist I met in Europe were rather stereotypical. In the youth hostels they wouldn't talk to anyone or mingle. Like they were afraid of all of us evil foreigners. They stuck to frozen pizza and McDonald's when it came to food. Couldn't hold their liquor. They really stood out.

I am from glorious nation Québeckistan, by the way.

USians tourist I met in Europe were rather stereotypical. In the youth hostels they wouldn't talk to anyone or mingle. Like they were afraid of all of us evil foreigners. They stuck to frozen pizza and McDonald's when it came to food. Couldn't hold their liquor. They really stood out.

I am from glorious nation Québeckistan, by the way.
Your kind are some of the worst tourists we get down here.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
There are collections of dumb travelers' stories out there. My mother was a travel agent for 20 years. Here's one of my favorites. Back in 1983, a woman was upset that my mother wouldn't let her drive from England to France. (remember, the chunnel didn't exist in 1983--it was little more than a pipe dream (sorry, I couldn't resist. OK, I could have, but didn't want to)). Her next question was whether or not there was any fruit in France, or should she bring some with her.
The kicker: She was a Geography Teacher!!!
Really, really said something about the quality of the public schools in CA.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RE: school bus color.

For the longest time, ours were aquamarine,

RE: Americans as bad tourists.

My most recent trip outside the USA was to Moscow & St. Petersburg, and I had a blast sampling the local fare. Especially enlightening was the tour of the Razin Brewery in Moscow, which had been bought by Heiniken just 2 weeks prior. As part of the tour, our group was taken to an executive boardroom, where each person was seated at a place set with a bottle of each beer Razin made. We sampled all 14 or so.

Did I mention this tour was between breakfast and lunch?

Anywho, I was more typical of that group than the cuisinophobes who sometime venture abroad. And in fact, we had 2 with us. A father & daughter- both adults- brought an entire large suitcase of trail mix, granola bars and the like, and ate from it almost exclusively over the first half of the trip.

They have no idea what they missed out on.

RE: things we have here (or in certain areas here) that are uncommon elsewhere.

Drive through restaurants
Drive through liquor stores
Drive through daiquiri shops
Liquor stores
Powdered drink mixes
Portable powdered or liquid drink mixes
Mayonnaise!
Ketchup!
Peanut Butter!
Buffets...at nearly every level of the dining experience, for nearly every cuisine
Free-standing food courts
2+ car garages
Car culture: low-riders, monster trucks,
Empty spaces
Contrarian landscaping: we make the deserts bloom, build megahouses on cliffsides, we make arificial beaches & reefs, the cold places hot, the hot places cold, etc., just to live there the way we want to live.

Last edited:

Remove ads