[March] What are you reading?

Rbledsaw

Villager
You spend 25-30 hours a week commuting?

Ugh.... :erm: I never thought about how much time a week I spend commuting.... That number is ridiculous.. But yes, I live between Peoria and Lincoln, Illinois but work in Burr Ridge, Illinois. 300 miles a day round trip. I have to change my car's oil every 2 weeks (3000 miles) and rotate my tires every 3 weeks. Luckily the job pays really well.

Nellisir

Hero
Ugh.... :erm: I never thought about how much time a week I spend commuting.... That number is ridiculous.. But yes, I live between Peoria and Lincoln, Illinois but work in Burr Ridge, Illinois. 300 miles a day round trip. I have to change my car's oil every 2 weeks (3000 miles) and rotate my tires every 3 weeks. Luckily the job pays really well.
You drive it???

Dude. That's flat out insane. I'm sure you have reasons, but you are totally out of your gourd.

Honestly, I was trying to soften the blow by asking per week, but yeah, you spend almost a day and a half EACH WEEK just getting to and from your job. Would it not be cheaper and incredibly less stressful to get a studio in Burr Ridge, and maybe work 4 10-hr days?

I'm sure you know all this; I'm just having trouble processing it. "Pays really well" had better be the understatement of the year.

Rbledsaw

Villager
You drive it???

Dude. That's flat out insane. I'm sure you have reasons, but you are totally out of your gourd.

Honestly, I was trying to soften the blow by asking per week, but yeah, you spend almost a day and a half EACH WEEK just getting to and from your job. Would it not be cheaper and incredibly less stressful to get a studio in Burr Ridge, and maybe work 4 10-hr days?

I'm sure you know all this; I'm just having trouble processing it. "Pays really well" had better be the understatement of the year.

Yeah, there's like no jobs where I am, and I'm looking into moving as soon as possible, but my wife is like 39 weeks pregnant. Luckily I've been able to work from home this last week or so since she's so close to having the baby. But yeah, I drive it. Getting a studio would not save me a whole lot on gas. I spend about $1000 per month on gas so I'd need to get a studio for less than $850 per month to be cost effective. It's near impossible in that area (cost of living is so high). I was commuting an hour and a half to my last job which paid $7/hr less than this gig does so I had no issues going for it. Plus half of my income is considered non-taxable because it's a split per diem. Making over $30/hour helps though.

Nellisir

Hero
Yeah, there's like no jobs where I am, and I'm looking into moving as soon as possible, but my wife is like 39 weeks pregnant. Luckily I've been able to work from home this last week or so since she's so close to having the baby. But yeah, I drive it. Getting a studio would not save me a whole lot on gas. I spend about $1000 per month on gas so I'd need to get a studio for less than $850 per month to be cost effective. It's near impossible in that area (cost of living is so high). I was commuting an hour and a half to my last job which paid $7/hr less than this gig does so I had no issues going for it. Plus half of my income is considered non-taxable because it's a split per diem. Making over $30/hour helps though.
Yeah, it does look pricey. I turned up some going for $700-$800, but that's still steep. I think if your wife weren't so far along it still might be worth it (you'd save on gas, tires, oil, general wear & tear on the car, plus just the savings in time) particularly if you could switch to a 3-4 day workweek, but you've clearly got enough complicating factors in your life. You've got my respect, that's for sure.

Rbledsaw

Villager
Are your daughters Robert Bledsaw II and III? Because that'd be hardcore.

Hardcore ego, but still hardcore. ;)

Haha, nope. I only wish I was that hardcore, lol. I am Robert III (grandson of the Bob Bledsaw Sr. of Judges Guild). Oldest daughter is Abigail :) but the 2nd child was miscarried before we knew the sex.

Remove ads