The treat injury skill

dwayne

Adventurer
I run a modern game and have made some massive alterations to most of the rules to get a gritty feel but adding magic has caused the treat injury skill to be trivialized but were as magic can heal but a skill can be done by almost anyone and magic has a finite number of spells. So its use is still vital to the game more so without magic. I had a person die in game by having there heart stop no save this was a effect to emulate that of a divine artifact like the arc of the covenant, if touched you are struck dead. Well Despite me almost strait out telling them do not touch it of course the PC's touched it, oh and not just one but 2 of them. So the doctor, of course always with his bag, I thought he would have at least 1 adrenalin shot in it, so gave the police officer, who did put points in the skill Treat injury "Medicine in my game" a chance to bring him back. Which he made the roll the doctor who had a small defibrillator in turn brought back the other PC fairly easily as he is a master doctor and has every point he can in the skill and anything else he could to have to enhance the roll. So in short I had to make a judgement call and improvise and below is the result hope you guys can use or give feed back on this I would love to know.

Bringing back the dead (DC 20): A person can only do this in a few ways 1) as part of a surgery and fallows the rules of that ability, 2) by use of a chemical stimulant adrenalin shot to the heart DC 25 if not a medical doctor 35 untrained. 3) By use of mechanical device a defibrillator in this case the DC is 25 as it requires some technical use or basic training to use; otherwise it is 30 for someone not trained in the use. Even then it requires that person to make a fortitude save DC 25 lowered by one point over the DC made by the person administrating the life saving technique, this can only be done with in the last few seconds of life for each round the DC increases by +2..

I increased the vitality healed to 1d6 and the surgery to 1d8, So if some one were to pick up a defibrillator and use it and with luck might bring a person back in no way does this stop the loss of vitality. So you could bring a person back just to have them die again from blood loss and shock I think this captures the gritty nature of it and puts a good mechanic to use for it.

Just change vitality to hit points as my system I use vitality.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So in short I had to make a judgement call and improvise and below is the result hope you guys can use or give feed back on this I would love to know.

Bringing back the dead (DC 20): A person can only do this in a few ways 1) as part of a surgery and fallows the rules of that ability, 2) by use of a chemical stimulant adrenalin shot to the heart DC 25 if not a medical doctor 35 untrained. 3) By use of mechanical device a defibrillator in this case the DC is 25 as it requires some technical use or basic training to use; otherwise it is 30 for someone not trained in the use. Even then it requires that person to make a fortitude save DC 25 lowered by one point over the DC made by the person administrating the life saving technique, this can only be done with in the last few seconds of life for each round the DC increases by +2..

Some posting feedback: your post is very hard to read, due to misspellings and lack of punctuation. I hope you'll get more help from the community if you can correct these issues.

If you issued your "do not touch" warnings as the GM, the PCs might have seen it as a ruse. These warnings might have a better effect if delivered by NPCs, since an NPC has (in theory) less access to metagame knowledge.

If a gritty game is one in which PCs die: just let them die. Maybe the player will be more careful with his next character. If a gritty game is one in which PCs live: don't let them die - but give them a memento when they come back. A permanent limp. A scar. A blind eye. That's grit.

dwayne

Adventurer
Actually I posted this as a way to pass on an Idea not for your critiquing. As for the spelling errors this was done with spell check so not sure what you are talking about. So in short DM mike buzz off I have put you on an ignore list so I do not have to see your idiotic feed back. Which by the way is not welcome, as for everyone else feel free to give feed back. On the skill that is not in how I handled the situation, as I do not need any help DMing.

Remove ads