Freedom Cheeze!

Do you have alternative names for Parmesan, feta and Gorgonzola?

Nope. Go into any store and find a wide variety of cheeses with the same name; it's up to the consumer to decide which version of "parmesan" (or whatever) they prefer. Cheese snobs (my MIL is one) will swear by certain brands while others just don't care.

Seems a tough ask for the EU -- if those were brand names they could possibly be protected, but forcing a rename of a type of item? I don't see it.

Besides, the Germans and Belgians would have a better case that American beer should be renamed "pee-water" than cheese silliness, but I haven't heard of any initiative in that direction. They choose instead to educate consumers and strengthen their brand identity.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Nope. Go into any store and find a wide variety of cheeses with the same name; it's up to the consumer to decide which version of "parmesan" (or whatever) they prefer. Cheese snobs (my MIL is one) will swear by certain brands while others just don't care.

Seems a tough ask for the EU -- if those were brand names they could possibly be protected, but forcing a rename of a type of item? I don't see it.

Besides, the Germans and Belgians would have a better case that American beer should be renamed "pee-water" than cheese silliness, but I haven't heard of any initiative in that direction. They choose instead to educate consumers and strengthen their brand identity.
People can choose if it is a Parmasan or not? Like people can choose if evolution is real? lmfao

It sort of is a brand, like Champagne. It is a protected designation of origines.

People can choose if it is a Parmasan or not? Like people can choose if evolution is real? lmfao

You misunderstand. There are different brands which sell Parmesan cheese -- consumers choose from among the different brands.

A better solution to all this is to define a standard for what makes something Parmesan, or cheddar, or whatever. But that won't happen, because the issue really isn't about quality of cheese.

delericho

Legend
It sort of is a brand, like Champagne. It is a protected designation of origines.

That's exactly it. The EU have laws that specify that certain foodstuffs have to come from certain regions - to be called Champagne a wine must be produced in that region, Balsamic vinegar must come from Modina, Melton Mowbray pork pies must come from, well, Melton Mowbray, and so on.

Of course, as discussed in that seminal classic "Wayne's World", Americans don't respect the convention and so label all sparkling white wines 'Champagne'.

So, the discussion is over the terms of the upcoming US-EU trade agreement - the EU are pushing for the US to accept those same "Protected Region of Origin" designations as already exist over here. Whether they'll actually get that or not remains to be seen, of course.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's exactly it. The EU have laws that specify that certain foodstuffs have to come from certain regions - to be called Champagne a wine must be produced in that region, Balsamic vinegar must come from Modina, Melton Mowbray pork pies must come from, well, Melton Mowbray, and so on.

Of course, as discussed in that seminal classic "Wayne's World", Americans don't respect the convention and so label all sparkling white wines 'Champagne'.

So, the discussion is over the terms of the upcoming US-EU trade agreement - the EU are pushing for the US to accept those same "Protected Region of Origin" designations as already exist over here. Whether they'll actually get that or not remains to be seen, of course.

I can't imagine it will. Cheddar is, I guess, the biggest example.

delericho

Legend
I can't imagine it will. Cheddar is, I guess, the biggest example.

Indeed, Cheddar is now considered generic, so doesn't get protection even in the EU.

Incidentally, the US do have an equivalent restriction, meaning that, for example, Tennessee whiskey can only be produced in that state.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Hah! I am shocked to find out that Cheddar isn't in the US. Over here, "cheddar" means "American cheese".

But we've been going through this over the last ten years because of EFTA. I grew up with gouda, which turns out isn't gouda at all. Turns out it bears little resemblance to actual gouda. Now it's called "góðostur".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases