26 Best Cult TV Shows Ever

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Depends how you define "Cult." Sorry, but Star Trek: the Next Generation is NOT cult: it's about as white and sterile as bleach. Total Milquetoast, almost to the level of Smallville.
Some shows I'd never heard of.
A lot that sucked.
Few goodies in there though.
(why so much reference to Veronica Mars in the thing, when it ranked somewhere in the middle?)

Depends how you define "Cult." Sorry, but Star Trek: the Next Generation is NOT cult: it's about as white and sterile as bleach. Total Milquetoast, almost to the level of Smallville.
Some shows I'd never heard of.
A lot that sucked.
Few goodies in there though.
(why so much reference to Veronica Mars in the thing, when it ranked somewhere in the middle?)

Give your definition of cult for this context, and as for Veronica Mars...it just got a kick starter funded theater and VOD release this pas week.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Give your definition of cult for this context, and as for Veronica Mars...it just got a kick starter funded theater and VOD release this pas week.

To me, Cult is something not accepted by the main stream culture, but that still has a strong niche following.
Original Star Trek: Cult.
TNG Star Trek: Not
Doctor Who: cult for the first few years, but by the 70s it was pretty much an accepted establishment (The Doctor was working for the British Government for crying out loud). Might still be cult in the US because it didn't get to be on the main network channels or syndication.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know almost all of those. Like some. Love a few. Didn't care for most.

Surprised at how many modern teen centric shows made the cut, while older ones like Freaks & Geeks, Square Pegs, and Parker Lewis Can't Lose didn't.

Or even more culty modern ones, like Todd vs The Book of Pure Evil.

Than there's a host of cartoons...ATHF, Venture Bros., Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, Frisky Dingo, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I know almost all of those. Like some. Love a few. Didn't care for most.

Surprised at how many modern teen centric shows made the cut, while older ones like Freaks & Geeks, Square Pegs, and Parker Lewis Can't Lose didn't.

Or even more culty modern ones, like Todd vs The Book of Pure Evil.

Than there's a host of cartoons...ATHF, Venture Bros., Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, Frisky Dingo, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls...

I think the thing to remember is people have very short attention spans. I'm sure the polling base for the show was thinking only in terms of what they remember. There was one voting list where Lost came out as "number 1 tv show of all time." Purely trendy thinking.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It was also one of the most watched shows on TV at the time. So was Lost at one point. Cult shows are supposed to be favorites of a small rabid niche, unknown to the masses. I think if everyone's watching it, it's not cult.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I believe 'cult' status occurs when, long after the shows are over, people still talk about them as if they were still on-air.

Take Lost, fr'ex. It's been dead for years, yet people are STILL arguing over the Finale, and just recently, I believe there was official word from the producers as to the 'real' meaning behind it.

People pushed for Veronica Mars to be renewed to the point that a fan-funded movie (via Kickstarter) was produced.

Firefly. That's all I have to say to incite a riot for cult followers of Firefly.

And Dr Who? The fact I abbreviated "Doctor" should send somewhere between 40-60% of EnWorld into spastic fits.

I agree with most of the articles choices. :3

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Doctor Who: cult for the first few years, but by the 70s it was pretty much an accepted establishment (The Doctor was working for the British Government for crying out loud). Might still be cult in the US because it didn't get to be on the main network channels or syndication.

I think the Doctor is a good example of a show that didn't start out as a cult show at all, but faded into cult status over it's run (only to dig itself out over the first few season of the new show).

Remove ads