Convert Pathfinder Adventure Paths to 13th Age

plancktum

First Post
Hi,

I was thinking about using the Pathfinder Adventure Paths for my 13th Age group.
As I think Monsters are easy to replace (or convert), how should one handle the Icons? Just searching for equivalents in the Adventure path? Or just ignoring them, which is by far the easiest way...

And do you think the Monster conversion will work?

EDIT: Do you think one needs to know the Pathfinder Rules? I've played DnD3.5 a while ago, but never played pathfinder.
What about the levels?

best regards

Last edited:

Kinak

First Post
I don't think you probably need to know the Pathfinder rules. Search for monsters you don't know on the PRD. When replacing NPCs, check out their tactics section and make sure the replacement has the same general feel.

Personally, I would suggest creating new monsters based on the same theme and difficulty rather than trying to actually convert anything.

The biggest pitfall, if you can call is that, is that you'll end up with more encounters than you need. You'll want to either cut encounters or combine them (with several rooms reinforcing each other). If you're leveling up at the appropriate plot points, rather than strictly based on XP, you can easily adjust the number of fights you want to fit your playstyle.

Cheers!
Kinak

Starfox

Hero
I think introducing Icons to Pathfinder adventure paths ought top go well. Most adventure paths have an antagonist that is close to Icon level, but not quite there. It is trying to advance/return to Icon status, and naturally other Icons will react to this. Some might be allied, but most ought to be more or less hostile, as there is limited room at the top. Thus, it makes sense for PCs working for other Icons to intervene, as agents or pawns.

Sometimes (like in Kingmaker), it is the players who are proactive and pushing to create something new, in which case the GM should probably offer the PCs to choose only Icons that ought to be friendly to the project.

Agamon

Adventurer
I wouldn't do a wholesale conversion. Take the plot, locations and NPCs, but completely scrap the encounters and create your own. Or just keep a few key ones and scrap the rest. The adventures don't need as many encounters as published unless you scale back progression a bit.

Also, I wouldn't bother with using Icons if I were running 13A with an adventure path, either. 13A assumes the game is open and sandboxy, and the Icons help give clarity to the story. With a storyline already planned out, Icon rolls would become frustrating, if not pointless, to utilize. Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

plancktum

First Post
Thanks to all of you! :)
I will take a closer look at the Pathfinder Adventure Paths. Maybe I will master some of them or just use them for inspiration.

plancktum

First Post
so. i've taken a Look at "Rise of the runelords" and it Looks very nice. tommorrow i will Take a Look as "serpent skull", but i think i will use runelords.

does someone have some practical Advice for converting this campaign? how should i Handlemagic items and Special Monsters/NPCs?

whats about Level progression? as i Need to build own encounters i Could just make 1,5 Levels per Adventure so at the end they are Level 10.

some further things i should consider?
p.s.: i'm writing on my Smartphone which is Set to German. so ignore the Strange Typing please :D

Kinak

First Post
so. i've taken a Look at "Rise of the runelords" and it Looks very nice. tommorrow i will Take a Look as "serpent skull", but i think i will use runelords.
Rise of the Runelords is the one I'd start with, personally, assuming you're looking for a classic playstyle.

Not sure how you'd implement it, but using the Sins in place of Icons would be thematically appropriate.

does someone have some practical Advice for converting this campaign? how should i Handlemagic items and Special Monsters/NPCs?
You're mostly going to be converting the spirit of encounters, so reading the tactics of NPCs (the bosses have particularly detailed tactics sections) should get you thinking in the right direction.

whats about Level progression? as i Need to build own encounters i Could just make 1,5 Levels per Adventure so at the end they are Level 10.
I'd give out one at the end of chapters 1-5, plus one level for a few major accomplishments.

Assuming Rise of the Runelords, I'd give those extra levels after clearing the Catacombs of Wrath, Misgivings, and Fort Rannick. Those are good midway points for the first three adventures.

That'll put the party at 9th level going into the last adventure and you can bump them to 10 when they enter the Spires themselves, so they have some time to show off their sweet abilities but not so long that they miss advancement.

Cheers!
Kinak

Remove ads