[LPF] From Whence None Return

Satin Knights

First Post
From Whence None Return
A Living Pathfinder adventure for 4-6 characters at levels 6-8

Seeing several worthy adventurers just sitting around in the DWI while hiring greenhorns,
a former employer informs a group that the Mystic Pearl is paying a bounty to whomever
can retrieve the Staff of Unlife. A rather nasty necromancer happened to also be a
talented enchanter, creating interesting items that the Mystic Pearl would like to get
their hands on. The job is open. It has been for decades. Nobody who has tried has
returned. You might get lucky and survive. You might even get rich if you do.

GM: Satin Knights
Judge: Systole
Start Date: April 16th, 2014 (DOY=106-1)

Honored Players:
Weel Naxel (jkason).......................... Aasimar Oracle 8->9
105-256 Start .34,000 XP,....2,640 EXP,....3,300 EGP;....13,439 TXP,...10,872 TGP.Sept 13th, 151 days at 89/72
256-285 Start .50,079 XP,....1,520 EXP,....1,620 EGP;......3,364 TXP,.....2,581 TGP.. Current 54,963 XP 116/89

Maui and Taniwha (jbear).................. Druid 7->8
105-170 Start .30,073 XP,..........0 EXP,.,,,,,,...0 EGP;....3,965 TXP,...3,604 TGP..Jun 19th, 65 days at 61/53
170-285 Start .34,038 XP,....4,160 EXP,...4,920 EGP;..10,235 TXP,.,,8,280 TGP.. Current 48,445 XP 89/72

Vincenzo
(Scott DeWar)..................... Human Fighter 7->8
105-171 Start .30,024 XP,..........0 EXP,.,,,,,,...0 EGP;....4,026 TXP,...3,498 TGP .Jun 20th, 66 days at 61/53
171-285 Start .34,050 XP,....4,160 EXP,...4,920 EGP;..10,146 TXP,,,,8,208 TGP.. Current 48,356 XP 89/72

Menik (Kinem)........... .... .................Evoker Wizard 6->7
105-203 Start .17,336 XP,.,,.1,680 EXP,....1,940 EGP;..,.4,312 TXP,...4,116 TGP.. Jul 23rd, 98 days at 44/42
203-285 Start .23,328 XP,.,..2,480 EXP,....2,980 EGP;...,5,002 TXP,..,4,346 TGP.. Current 30,810 XP 61/53

Lem the Cook (Deuce Traveler)........... Monk 6->7
105-203 Start .17,336 XP,.,,.1,680 EXP,....1,940 EGP;..,.4,312 TXP,...4,116 TGP.. Jul 23rd, 98 days at 44/42
203-285 Start .23,328 XP,.,,.2,480 EXP,...,2,980 EGP;..,.5,002 TXP,..,4,346 TGP.. Current 30,810 XP 61/53

Updated: Oct 12th, 2014 (DOY=285), level at 23,000, 34,000, 50,000 xp
[sblock=Encounters]
Day .EXP.. ..EGP
170 ........ ......... ~ Maui leveled to 8th
171 ........ ......... ~ Vincenzo leveled to 8th
178 00960 01000 ~ Jun 27th ~ Shambler Nest ~ CR 8 ~ Shambling Mound at CR6 and 4 Shocker Lizards at CR2
196 00240 00340 ~ Jul 15th ~ Stair Pit Trap ~ CR 4 ~ detected and disabled by covering with stone
203 00480 00600 ~ Jul 23rd ~ Front Pit Trap ~ CR 6 ~ detected and exited without tripping or disabling
203 ........ ......... ~ Menik leveled to 7th
203 ........ ......... ~ Lem leveled to 7th
213 00240 00340 ~ Aug 1st ~ Leach Swarm ~ CR 4 ~ Leach swarm, pureed by water elemental
216 00240 00340 ~ Aug 4th ~ Flooded Room Pit Trap ~ CR 4 ~ tripped, caught Lem
217 00240 00340 ~ Aug 5th ~ Door Pit Trap ~ CR 4 ~ detected and disabled by Weel
227 00240 00340 ~ Aug 15th ~ Door Puzzle ~ CR 4 ~ Door puzzle
256 ........ .......... ~ Sep 13th ~ Weel leveled to 8th, at false treasure room
267 01280 01280 ~ Sep 24th ~ West Door Trap ~ CR 9 ~ Poisoned Pit Trap with disguised trigger, failed and fell in
285 00240 00340 ~ Oct 12th ~ Advanced Bloody Skeleton ~ CR 4 ~ Kyle Krill impersonating Mr. Bones, the bloody skeleton
[/sblock]
[sblock=Treasure]
Scroll of Locate Object
Wand of Cure Serious Wounds with 11 charges
2 potions of Restoration
Map to get there
Knowledge brother Kyle tried this endeavor
silver dagger
5,150 gp elven chainmail (mithral, Kyle's)
2,315 gp +1 longsword (Kyle's)
unidentified backpack, bow, quiver, a fine rope, belt pouch with a few coins and a potion bottle.

[sblock=Hidden Roll]Maui inspecting the Western door of the split for traps.Perception vs. Trap (1d20+12=20) failed[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=Marching Order]
Single File ...............Double Wide........................... ..Watches
If you have a standard procedure for opening a door, we will put it in here too, so as to speed repetitive issues like that.[/sblock][sblock=Items Consumed or Destroyed]none so far
I will be tracking, when I remember, things like healing potions used here.
[/sblock][sblock=Intended Time]This adventure is based on 1 1/4 PFS scenarios. They had a deliciously wicked start, and I added a more dangerous ending. As such, it should probably run about ten to twelve months with the characters leveling once, maybe twice. If you spent several PFS adventures in the Tapestry, check with me to see if you have already played the base adventures.[/sblock][sblock=Adventure Rules]Liberally adapted from others who do this better than I do.

* I prefer the use of [ sblock=OOC ] instead of [ OOC ]. It does a better job of hiding the out of character commentary. And the raised grey on black just looks ugly to me.

* I write with the Legacy skin for the forum. Therefore, all of my text is assuming a black background and light colored text. Many times I will used black periods to space out text when I need it.

* Group Initiative: rolled by GM with physical dice. In the case where an individual member of the 'losing side' rolls better than all other individual members of the 'winners,' that character may act first in the initial round of combat (surprise or round 1). Otherwise, unless a players specifies that actions are to follow another character / event, actions happen in the order they were posted. More than 48 hours or so delay for posting during your turn in a combat may result in my NPCing the character to keep things moving. I also post mid-round updates, with characters that still have actions in gold for their name, and those that have already acted are greyed out.

* PM is liking Ditzie for mapping, but I still prefer MapTool. I have more control over lighting and other background issues with it. So, I am going with MapTool for now. I own the servers the maps are stored on, so I know they are not going to be disappearing over time like a lot of stuff seems to do from photobucket.

* Feel free to use Invisible Castle or the Coyote on-line dice rollers for your characters. In general, I may or may not be posting my actual rolls, or just results.

** Irrelevant now, but left in for the good info: I may use the EnWorld roller more than other GMs, so if the dice at the bottom of a post starts overwhelming, you can shrink that down to a text one liner by changing your user settings. Settings->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->Dice Roller Display->Streamlined. GM secret rolls like Perception and Stealth will be done by physical dice. EnWorld does have a dice roller back, but it is no where near what the original did. So, Invisible Castle is my preference.

* I tend to post at any time of the day or night. I may post "mid-round" combat updates as needed or "short responses" to questions more often than the characters. If you're going to be away for longer than a couple days, please let me know if at all possible so we can arrange NPCing if necessary.

* If you do not post for a week or more without notice, I may end up writing you out of the adventure. You will still receive your share of the XP and treasure earned as well as time XP and gp to the date of your last post.

* If your character gets enough XP to level, they may do so at the end of an encounter. This grants the extra hp, but does not heal damage, and grants any additional spell slots, but not spells prepared. A caster capable of spontaneously casting could use these slots normally, a cleric could only use them for cure or inflict spells, a druid for summon nature's ally, etc. Prepared casters may prepare spells in these slots as if they had left the slots blank for the day, if they are able to do so. They can go through the appropriate spell preparation as if they had already rested if applicable. If you are adding a new class that requires special materials, like a wizard's spell book, please PM me a little ahead of time so I can work it in cleanly.

PS: My PM box hovers at 16 of 20. Too many projects I have to track. So, if a message bounced because my mailbox is full, wait a few hours and I should have made some room.

* Mini stat blocks (preferably including a link back to the wiki page for your character) and a picture for maps are quite helpful. Some good examples. It is nice if you can colorize the major stats like Total HP, Current HP, AC, Weapon in hand. When you are ready to make a new post, editing an old post for a second, long enough to do a "Select-All, Copy, Cancel" and then pasting that into the new post is a good way to keep consistency in your stat blocks. It saves a lot of typing too. The A/A in the upper left corner of the editor box controls toggles from What You See Is What You Get mode to source mode. If you need a template for a starter, it is as easy as starting a reply to a message you like, doing a copy all of the example, CANCEL so you don't go through with that post, and then pasting it into where your message will be. Strip the [ quote= ] at the top and the [/ quote ] at the bottom, then edit the example to fit your needs.

* If you have an interrupt or immediate action ability, please list it in your mini-stat block so I can attempt to weave it into the bad guy's combat at the appropriate time the first time around. If you can take more than one AoO in a round, please list that too.

* I tend to roll saving throws for the characters so the narrative of result can be added immediately instead of asking for the player to make a single die roll. I also tend to roll appropriate knowledge checks immediately so that information can be given as well. But, anytime you feel another knowledge or skill check may apply too, please feel free to roll that as well when appropriate. (ie, any time after you are no longer flat footed in the surprise round)

* I mess up sometimes. Everyone does. Feel free to point it out. I will try to retcon to fix if needed. Sometimes, I will need to use the "plot device or special circumstances overrides the normal rules" card. We're all here to have fun, so I'll try to do everything I can to facilitate. :)

* Sometimes I will earn the "cruel rotten bastard" title. There might be occasions where the cause has to play out for a week or two before you see the effect later and go, "Oh, that was worth it." I promise it will never be personal.

* This adventure is homebrew off the top of my head. It is loosely scripted, but I may tweak it along the way. It is a return to the same place that Rescue at Boar's Ridge took place at, so please do not read that game thread. It has too many location based spoilers that would make the game no fun.

I think I have overdone it by now, let's get started.
[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[section]Cratchen makes his way out of the back room after having sent the kids off on their errand. Well, some of them were older than he was, but they were still greenhorns in his eyes. That task shouldn't be too hard for them.

"Grog! Grog! If you wouldn't mind good friend, get me 'nuther bottle. Got the kids going. Wanted to send a real spell slinger with them, but none stepped up. I mean the kid who plays with vials and bottles will probably do okay, but a true sorcerer or wizard are far more effective in the talents."

"Grog, better get me some food too. Getting tipsy here."

Turning towards the patrons of the establishment, "Now that I got the kids out the way, who here is capable of going on a real death defying mission. I got a bounty that pays well. And it ain't been paid yet. Well, no one that has tried has returned. If you can't wrestle with a troll, or knock out a bone devil's teeth, this job 'tis too much for you. But if you are brave, talented and lucky, the money is good."

"Toze that are interested, come see m.m.me over there in my office. Well, Grog's office. Y'all know what I mean."

The old wizard makes his way to the backroom that he had come out of just moments ago. He has left the door half open for those that are curious.
[/section]

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, aasimar oracle

A burly young man in decidedly eccentric armor clanks his way into the room. He starts to sit at one of the chairs, but it slides deftly out of his way.

"I'm sorry. I didn't ask nice. Do you mind?" he says to the chair. It rattles slightly, then slides back into place for him. The man sits back, then finally seems to notice Cratchen. Smiling, he says, "I heard you have gold that doesn't like living in your coffers, so I thought I could help you find a home for it. I'm Weel."

There is a brief chatter in the air and a breeze which seems to come from nowhere. Weel sighs.

"Never mind the jibber-jabbers. They don't bite. Mostly."

[sblock=ooc]Weel is my replacement for Nathan. He's not approved yet, but I figure recruitment / startup will still take a while, anyway, so shouldn't hurt anything[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
A human man walks in with a sword at his hip and very good quality clothing.

"Vincenzo del Vecchio da via della Rosa D'Avorio the second. Swordsman, at your serv, . . . . . Uh, ready for action. There are possibly three others out there waiting too"

kinem

Adventurer
Menik, elf wizard 6

[sblock=Menik] Blood_elf_horde_long_hair_pointy_ears_white_hair_world_of_warcraft.jpg[/sblock]

Menik brings his mug of mead into the office and grabs a chair. The elf says "Hello Cratchen, I am Menik. I've been known to sling a spell or two.

Let me guess: It's a necromancer. It's always a necromancer. Except when it's not."

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

OOC: I think Lem the cook, Maui-Jungle warrior and Sylla the Grimm and scary are out there waiting to join too.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
A cheetah pads into the room preceeding a dark skinned jungle warrior with tribal tatoos marking the entire left side of his body including his face. His long dreadlocks are pulled back tightly, his eyes flecked with yellow giving him a feline look as well. His clothes seem mismatched with the rest of his body as the finely spun green cloth and cloak seem of far too good a quality for someone so obviously savage.

"Maui and Taniwha" he announces although he does not clarify which is which. "You want te lucky and te brave, we are here" he declares. "Maui and te King fear no man and no beast. Tane walk with us and give us te luck. Our talent is te tooth and te claw."

He looks around the room, grins at Vincenzo. "Handsome Blade" he smiles. "Did Maui dream that you were telling te tale of te Daughter of te Sly? Careful or you might call her up!"

He then turns back to the tipsy wizard. "So now te long talking and then we can go to wrestle te troll, no?" Maui settles into a seat waiting for his least favourite part of adventuring to be over: the 'long talking'. But he knows the drill so he waits for the ritual to begin and end so they can get to the part he lives for.

[sblock=Lvl 7 Stats]
[http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Maui_(jbear1979) Maui]
Initiative: +2
AC: 21 (Touch 14; FFt 18)
HP: 65 Current: 65
CMB: +10 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 Reflex: +8 Will: +10

Conditions:

In Hand:
Cold Iron MW Scimitar: +11; 1d6+5 (Crit 18-20:x2)
and Heavy Shield

Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Know Direction, Detect Poison
1st: CLW 2/2; Longstrider, Entangle, Charm Animal
2nd: Bull's Strength 2/2, Bark Skin, Delay Poison
3rd: Mad Monkeys, Greater Magic Fang, Resinous Skin
4th: Thorn Body
Wild Shape: 3/3 uses left per day

[sblock=Leopard Shape]
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 , touch 16 , flat-footed 12
Speed 30 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d8+6; 2 Claws: +11; 1d4 +6 dmg
View attachment 57927
[/sblock]

[sblock=Lizard Bird Shape]
Deinonychus
Medium animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 16 , touch 16 , flat-footed 12
Speed 60 ft.
Melee:Bite +11; 1d6+6; 2 Talons: +11; 1d8+6 dmg; Foreclaws: +5; 1d4+3
View attachment 57928
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dire Tiger Shape II]
Dire Tiger
Large Animal; Senses: low-light vision, scent;
AC 17 , touch 15 , flat-footed 14
Speed 40 ft.
Melee:Bite +12; 2d6+7 (+Grab); 2 Claws: +12 ; 2d4+7 dmg (+Grab)
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6753809_f520.jpg
[/sblock]

Wand of CLW Uses: 10/16
Wand of Magic Fang: 46/50
Wand of Speak with Animals: 48/50
Wand of Mage Armor: 48/50
Rod of Lesser Extend: 3/3
Potions: CLW 2/2
Flasks: Holy Water 2/2
Sling Bullets: 19/20

Taniwha
Initiative: +7
AC: 22
HP: 50 Current: 50
CMB: Trip/Disarm +10 CMD: 25 (29 vs Trip) Fort: +7 Reflex: +11 Will: +3

Conditions:

Bite: +10 ; 1d6+4 dmg; special: Trip
2x Claws: +10 ; 1d3+4 dmg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

"You mean talking of . . . Would summonnnn . . . . ? ULP!" He does however stand and greet his long suffering friends with a bow. "I am glad you have returned from your dreams, friend"

Remove ads