Several/few

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think most folks agree that a "couple" is two.

What, to you, constitutes "a few"? What about "several"?

For me, a few has always been 5-6ish, and several (maybe due to the sound of the word) 7ish to 9ish.

Context is important:

I went to the store with $200. I only have a few bucks left - $15.
Out of 8 gamers only a few had ever played gnomes - two.
A few of us went to the movies. "Us" could be 6 people or 600. What's "a few" of that amount?

Several is similar but seems more likely to refer to a single digit number to me. As my dictionary says - more than two, but less than "many".

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Context is important:

This.

In one of his science articles (as contrasted with science fiction), Isaac Asimov described what he said was perhaps the scarcest element on the planet: he said there were hardly any atoms of it on earth at all -- "Only a trillion." (That quote may have been the title of the article.)

It's relative. I'm not sure what it is relative to, but that might also depend on context.

For example: How many Borg spaceships is a "few?" Is one Borg ship a "few?" (Personally, I would think it's rather a lot to handle. I've seen that Star Trek movie about going back in time. . . .)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Early accounting was "1, 2, many." This lead to problems, as "Many enemies are coming over the hill" could mean 4-5, or an army, thus the chief didn't know whether to arm a few soldiers to protect the tribe, or run for the hills. Thus the invention of "Smeg-loads." This was very helpful, and solved the problem for a while. Sadly, while the king might know that he had smeg-loads of wives, keeping track of which was where and such like became a more complicated matter. This lead to the invention of modern mathematics.

--not necessarily accurate history, paraphrased from "Red Dward: The Log"

MarkB

Legend
I generally think of "a few" as about 3-5, and "several" as anywhere from 6-10. Once you hit double figures, "several" doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

Remove ads