Captain America: The Winter Soldier (no spoilers in OP; can't promise about the rest of the thread!)

delericho

Legend
I went to see this last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot played out pretty much as I'd have expected from the trailers, but it was entertaining enough for all of that.

There's not too much else to say, really. It's very much of a piece with the first one, so if you enjoyed that (and the recent Marvel films generally), you'll probably enjoy this one.

(Finally, I should note that there is a mid-credits scene which is interesting, and a post-credits scene that we didn't stay to see. Oops.)

Ahnehnois

First Post
(No spoilers)
I did not see the first one, but I did see the new one, and I quite enjoyed it.

I thought the action looked much more real than in most action movies these days. The direction was excellent, and it flowed well. It was certainly a comic book movie with some eye rolling aspects to it, but it was also surprisingly successful in engaging contemporary social issues in the plot. The characters were much better developed in this one than in Avengers. Most of the gag lines worked. The Winter Soldier himself was pretty effectively threatening.

Also, I appreciated that a fair part of it seems to have been shot in DC. I hate it when films are set in the District and filmed elsewhere. It never looks right. They certainly took some liberties, but the movie opens with characters jogging around the Tidal Basin, and it looked right.

Bagpuss

Legend
Really enjoyed it, seemed a bit darker than the first one, less humour in it, but what there was worked. Not knowing the comics the reveal of who the Winter Soldier was, came as a nice surprise, and there were a few other surprises not leaked in the trailers, which was nice.

[sblock]The effect on Marvel's film universe is pretty dramatic (no more SHIELD), how the Agents of SHIELD series continues now is going to be interesting.[/sblock]

Last edited:

biotech66

Explorer
Anyone else kind of surprised by the amount of people trying to not spoil the marvel movie? Honestly, this stuffs been out there for over 10 years! I kind of think its funny when people are offended by these spoilers when we are way post the spoiler point.

Back on topic, I think this will be an interesting one. We haven't see Cap's response to the modern world or his response to "The Avengers." I'm looking forward to seeing his character grow.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyone else kind of surprised by the amount of people trying to not spoil the marvel movie? Honestly, this stuffs been out there for over 10 years! I kind of think its funny when people are offended by these spoilers when we are way post the spoiler point.

Not everyone has read the comics. I certainly haven't; I didn't even nkow it was based on a comic-book storyline. (I've also not read this thread; just replied to this comment which appeared in the What's New? feed).

delericho

Legend
Anyone else kind of surprised by the amount of people trying to not spoil the marvel movie? Honestly, this stuffs been out there for over 10 years!

I haven't read the comics. Besides, I don't know how closely the movie reflects those comics - it's not exactly uncommon for movies to bear no resemblance to the source beyond the name.

Most importantly, though, I wouldn't want someone to spoil the movie for me, so I'm going to avoid spoiling it for someone else.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So, is Redford the Red Skull?

Who are the speedster and the teleketic prisoners?

Last edited:

[sblock]The effect on Marvel's film universe is pretty dramatic (no more SHIELD), how the Agents of SHIELD series continues now is going to be interesting.[/sblock]
[sblock=Response to spoiler]
I haven't seen the movie, but to tell you the truth, I'm glad they aren't around in the movies any more. SHIELD in the movie universe annoyed me. They are this super spy world awesomeness shadow government organization that every bad guy knows about and can pretty much beat up fairly easily. Their flying bases seem to be really easy targets. They either get taken down or infiltrated and wrecked. [/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases