Legacy of Death Part IX: The Ultimate Tomb

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Six passed from Baga Yaga's Hut into Sigil.

Only three remain to pass through the Iron Door to Pluton. You step from the door to a circle.

You arrive in a crumbling courtyard, and the teleportation circle at its center is set within afield of blasted dark
red stones. Steep slopes strewn with rubble fall away in all directions but one. There, a ruined staircase twists down
and across the shadowed landscape where pulsing white fire cuts through an ever-present darkness.

Out of Character Thread

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Sim takes out one of the better bottles of wine obtained in the old hag’s hut.

He offers a toast; normally a Janissary would swear an oath of vengeance for a fallen comrade. But since I’m not sure Nar was truly a comrade or that his doom was necessarily unjust, I will say his fate may yet prove to be more mercifully than ours.

The stairs are the obvious move but Sim scans the distance is all directions for anything that may be a dead god tomb, i.e., a cave entrance, a building or some type of marker.

Death awaits those who linger here too long, but a short rest seems needed.

Buckthorn

First Post
"Aye, to Nar-Heru," Buckthorn whispers solemnly. "Another fallen comrade. I've lost more brothers in arms than I care to count. Too, many on this damnable quest. I truly did not think the book had taken him. I did not. Perhaps I was blind or naive. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking. He will be missed."

Buckthorn
will look around their new environs. "And his magic will be missed."

Buckthorn
will survey the landscape- are there any landmarks? Can he tell what time of day it is? What direction the party is facing? (Nature check)

He will also look and listen for any signs of creatures or persons (footprints, pawprints or other tracks). (Perception)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You take some time.

This place is cold, though not damaging, at least not over 5 minutes.

You also feel a creeping gloom. Again, not surprising.

But noticeable.

(makes those checks....look around, do something else?)

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Perception check for surroundings - 30.
Using the Manual of the Planes, Sim casts the Analyze Portal ritual (half cost 125gp, and time 30 minutes). (Arcana check – 42) He tries to learn the origin, type of the last creature to use the portal, the length of time since that event, learn where the portal leads regardless of its transparency and see the other side up to 24 squares.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You spend more time at this place.

The stairs plunge into a strange landscape, but in that direction, on the horizon, with the strange strips of white fire dancing about it, some dark shape looms.

Sim (its unclear you can do all those things, at least not according to the rituals description, but anyways): you confirm that you all just came through the Portal of Ash, whose main function is to bring you to this part of Pluton. You are reminded of Melkar's Door/Runic Circle portal duality paradox. The portals creator is very powerful, you cannot confirm who it is. However, you learn one potentially interesting thing: it has been used at least 1 more time in the last few days.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
(The list of things is from the tables in Analyze Portal ritual that can be learned based upon an arcana check of 42)
I have learned much through my incantation. This is the fabled Portal of Ash. It was created by long forgotten archmages and hierophants. These stairs lead to the tombs we seek (this seems the only path anyway). The portal has seen other activity recently. But the details are shrouded by powerful counter-spells. Buckthorn, maybe you can determine from the tracks what has come this way before us.
Sim waits until Buckthorn is done examining the area before moving further outside the ring.

Buckthorn

First Post
Buckthorn will also look at the steps, does he see any footprints, any signs of any other creatures or persons passing this way? (Perception) (19 and 37 (rolled a 20 on the second). Also nature check (36) for tracking.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
this is not "nature" as you would know it! The dim light from no sun, the cold, the strange hanging gloom. As you spy about, all trees seem to be dead, the ice is black and arcane, blades seem to be piled about in odd places. Even the rubble seems off.

You also notice the black shape--what is that?--looming through the weird storm in the distance.

The several footprints you find however seem to be perfectly normal. Human--which has become a little strange to you, but still.

Mixed among there is an exception: some kind of great cat! A truly great one.

They head down the stairs. One way.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
(Sim is OK but the group heals up to the extent needed)

Sim mutters to himself couldn’t be a panther shaman. What would a nature freak be doing here?

We can avoid it no longer; a hero’s task and a martyr’s reward await us.

I have studied the tomes and scrolls in the old library and see patterns in Acererak’s madness. In his hubris, he generally signfies the entrance of his province with a portal or marker. When we have found this our test begins.
But this realm is likely filled with other deadly horrors as well. We should avoid them as they will needlessly sap our strength.

Sim draws the Ruinblade and points to the stormy black shape in the distance, Acererak we have come for you. To the (final) death – Acererak’s . . . or ours. He leads the quixotic triumvirate (or at least himself) down the stairs.

Remove ads