[April] What Are You Reading?

Currently reading The Testament By John Grisham, then I'm going to read Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World followed by Reagan's Secret War: The Untold Story of His Fight to Save the World from Nuclear Disaster.[h=3][/h]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Way of the Pilgrim, by Gordon R Dickson. The story opens three years after a technologically superior race takes over the Earth, and follows the gelling of a resistance movement around an unlikely leader. I first read it years ago, and have had the urge to reread it recently.

I realized it was pleasantly appropriate to be reading it on Patriot's Day here in Massachusetts. :)

Jhaelen

First Post
I finished 'Among Others' by Jo Walton and still don't know quite know what to think of it. I guess, I think it just wasn't very good. It simply doesn't have any perceptible arc of suspense. If it hadn't been for the numerous references to speculative fiction stories I've read and enjoyed, I'd call it a complete failure. I cannot fathom why it won both the Nebula and the Hugo awards.

Next novel is (probably) going to be 'The Clockwork Rocket' by Greg Egan.

Nellisir

Hero
Just finished Bangkok 8 by John Burdett. Excellent book. It was a little bit weird to read because the protagonist spends some time around the Nana Entertainment Plaza on Soi 4 in Bangkok. My wife's family lived on Soi 4, less than a block from the Nana Entertainment Plaza, and still owns a house there (the only one on their little street that's still privately owned/not a "rent-by-the-hour" hotel. Soi 4 wasn't as red-light then as it now - heck, it wasn't as red light 14 years ago as it is now - but it was a rare case of knowing almost exactly what the author was describing.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Finished Turgenev's Rudin. Overall pretty good but there was some of the typical classical Russian melodrama. I'm not used to that with his work. Anyhoo, starting Spring Torrents today.

Remove ads