Alec Guinness' letter about this "Star Wars" movie he was filming

sabrinathecat

Explorer
One of the (many) possibly apocryphal tales during the making of SW is that the reason Kenobi dies on the Death Star is that Lucas didn't have him doing anything during the death-star trench run, and he thought that there needed to be a reason Kenobi wasn't the one blowing up the death star.

When a fan told AG he'd watched starwars a dozen times, AG reportedly asked him a favor: Never watch that movie again.
I think only the $ and the fact that Lucas was having so little to do with ESB are what brought him back for his ghost scenes in the sequels.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I thought Lucas suckered all the actors into giving up their points and royalties and what-have-you for a bit of extra cash?

from his wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Guinness

Star Wars

Guinness's role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, beginning in 1977, brought him worldwide recognition by a new generation, as well as Golden Globe and Academy Award nominations. In letters to his friends, Guinness described the film as "fairy tale rubbish," but the film's sense of moral good – and the studio's doubling of his initial salary offer – appealed to him, and he signed on.[18] He was one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be a box office hit; he negotiated a deal for 2% of the gross royalties paid to the director, George Lucas, who received one fifth of the box office takings. This made him very wealthy in his later life, and he agreed to take the part of Kenobi on the condition that he would not have to do any publicity to promote the film. Upon his first viewing of the film, Guinness wrote in his diary that "It's a pretty staggering film as spectacle and technically brilliant. Exciting, very noisy and warm-hearted. The battle scenes at the end go on for five minutes too long, I feel, and some of the dialogue is excruciating and much of it is lost in noise, but it remains a vivid experience."[19]

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I know royalties have been around for a while, but was it common for actors to get a percentage of the gross back in the 70s and earlier?
Sometimes yes as the video markets were just getting started and it was a way for them to get into that market. Most of the time, it was a flat fee but with video's being made, stars at the time were normally not getting anything from them.

You have to remember that Star Wars: A New Hope changed Hollywood, even saved it, people kept going back, over and over again. Other movies did not do that, it was a very small percentage that saw a movie twice up until this time, let alone five or more times.

The question is did that include the toys, as Lucas got everything on their royalties.

Last edited:

I know royalties have been around for a while, but was it common for actors to get a percentage of the gross back in the 70s and earlier?
My understanding was always that it was very UNcommon for unknown actors in particular to be given points (Guinness and Peter Cushing were the only "known" actors, Cushing for Hammer horror films and Guinness as much for old b/w comedies as Bridge on the River Kwai). The whole enterprise was rather an unknown quantity as it was a VERY expensive film with revolutionary special effects using computer-controlled cameras and what-all. Not a lot of people were thinking it was actually going to succeed since their idea of SF movies was defined by heaps of the worst low-budget schlock from the 50's and 60's. So, giving the actors points of the gross in this case was somewhat seen as low-risk at the time because the movie stood a good chance of bombing and they'd have been limited to their meager up-front pay and royalties. The smart thing Lucas did was retain for himself the MERCHANDISING. The movie was wildly profitable of course, but the more staggering sums of cash were produced in the merchandising.

But, that's remembering things I'd read about it FORTY years ago...

The question is did that include the toys, as Lucas got everything on their royalties.
From what I hear/read somewhere, Lucas negotiated the rights to all the merchandise in exchange for less money to direct the movie. I think he ended up buying the rights to the merchandise from the actors. If I remember correctly, and again - this is what I heard/read somewhere I can't be totally sure, Lucas paid the actors for those rights. He gave them a big chunk of change up front, and he got all their rights o merchandise, points for the movie, and royalties.

Remove ads