OOC - From the Outside

doghead

thotd
In addition to all that, here's my second character, a dwarven woman called Gemheart

Sorry, I knew that there was something else I should be doing (other than random nonsensical posts).

Hold that thought. I want to get Tristan in to the game first. Then I will look at Gemheart.

thotd

TillForPie

First Post
To address how well Tristan can play with others: First, I know that the game is currently in the wake of some divisive inter-party conflict and that you're just making sure the game doesn't return to that, but let me reassure you right off the bat that I wouldn't make a character who couldn't adventure with the other player characters. It's not the TillForPie RPG, it's the Dungeon World: From The Outside RPG, and we're all responsible for ensuring each other's enjoyment.

For instance, note one of the bonds I listed for Tristan: "I respect the beliefs of Hawthorne but hope she will someday see the true way." So while it's clear that he feels his way is the correct one, he's not incapable of acknowledging the righteous members of heathen religions (and I use "righteous" very purposefully here because note, also, that his "quest" demands he protect the defenseless righteous without making mention of faith or race). This all ties into why I have no interest in playing a young Tristan.

As for his alignment, I picked lawful for him rather than good because, well, he's not good. He's the epitome of how life has a way of wearing away who a person is day by day - and he's seen a lot of days. Toiling for decades out of obligation to an ungrateful god is what he's all about, and that makes him lawful in this player's humble opinion.

So in short, no need to threaten me with a smack-down. I think he'd get along with the group, and if there comes a time when he can't he'll either change as a character or be retired from play. If the above sounds unreasonable to you I wouldn't mind coming up with another concept: I'd rather come up with another concept that excites me that you think would work than water down one that wouldn't.

As for the quest, all that particularly matters to me are the two boons but if a questing isn't something that Tristan would be constantly doing it'll mean he couldn't have been trapped for months as suggested but that isn't too important.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Just finished read the a beginners guide to playing DW. Sometimes it good to go back to the basics. It was definitely helpful in sort of clarifying the key principles. In particular, I took too things from it:

GM doesn't roll dice (which is why my dice make no noise)

Characters make moves in response to the situations the GM presents. So give the characters something to respond to!​

Soft Moves/Hard Moves

Failures are the GM's cue to respond with a move of their own; soft moves in the case of a 7-9, hard moves in the case of a 6 or less.​

Pretty basic stuff right? It funny how sometimes it takes a while for certain concepts to click into place.

There is also a nifty little campaign front in there as well. If I can't kill all the characters in this adventure, I have think that I have next big move lined up. Don't worry to much if you have (or do) read it. Its fairly open.

:angel:

thotd

GlassEye

Adventurer
Since I have no experience with DW (outside of this game, that is) I sometimes wonder if I'm playing it 'right'. Silly, I know. It would probably help my comfort level in playing if I took a look at the beginner's guide and got a general sense of how things run. Thanks for pointing out that it exists.

doghead

thotd
I should have posted a link to the guide.

Here it is if you are interested: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=4996.0

There is also a fairly nice SRD here: http://book.dwgazetteer.com/introduction.html

Five pages and two encounters in, I don't think we are doing too badly.

Actually, I think it is pretty hard to play DW 'wrong' - you just describe what you are doing. If anyone is playing it wrong, its me, in the sense that I could probably be utilising the 'move' mechanics better.

Have a read of The Last Pilgrimmage by manbearcat. Its a bit more crunchy than our games has been so far. Lots of moves and roles.

thotd

doghead

thotd
OOC: Tristan didn't speak that prayer aloud.

I know. But I read praying for guidance as more involving than just words.

Detecting Evil on someone who has invited you into his house and treated you with courtesy strikes me as somewhat wrong. Especially without any cause for suspicion. Doing it furtively seems even less honourable or valourous. Maybe I'm just feeling particularly irritable today.

OK, sure, its an option. It would involve a roll with the possibility of some form of divine disapproval on a fail (although you would still get an answer).

thotd

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases