D&D 5E From what you've seen so far, do you think D&D Next will be a success or a failure?

From what you've seen so far, do you think D&D Next will be a success or a failure?

• Success.

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • Failure.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Success in the beginning but will die early.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Don't care as I'm not going to play D&D Next anyway.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Not enough information to speculate.

Votes: 36 24.5%

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Well now that we are getting closer and closer to the release date, I figured I would post a poll on it's predicted success or failure.

Basically, from what you've seen so far, do you think D&D Next will be a success of a failure?

If you want to discuss your answer then go right ahead, but if you don't then that's okay as well.

Nagol

Unimportant
We would need the criteria being used to determine success before we could even begin to think about the possibility of letting that form of speculation cross our minds.

If the expectation is it will generate $100,000,000 in the first year and settle into merely half that annually for the next decade, I'm going to go with failure.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
We would need the criteria being used to determine success before we could even begin to think about the possibility of letting that form of speculation cross our minds.

If the expectation is it will generate $100,000,000 in the first year and settle into merely half that annually for the next decade, I'm going to go with failure.

You're trying to dig too deep. You can get a rough idea when you look at the game whether it's going to be a long lasting edition or a short one.

n00bdragon

First Post
You're trying to dig too deep. You can get a rough idea when you look at the game whether it's going to be a long lasting edition or a short one.

You can? How exactly does one do this? Whether the game lasts a long time depends entirely on whether Wizards of the Coast and its Hasbro overlords think it's making sufficient revenue, which also requires defining what "sufficient revenue" is. Unless there's a paragraph in the foreword explaining just how many dollars they need to make to be "sufficient" I doubt that you could figure that out just by "looking at the game."

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
It's going to be a success and a 'failure' in the same way that every other edition is. It'll have its fans, it'll have its detractors, the core books will sell like hot cakes, and then sales will slide until WotC decides it's time for 6e in about five years.

Me, I couldn't care less. What I know of 5e doesn't interest me; but that's okay because I have other games to occupy me!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
oh why not

It will return D&D to the position of the number 1 selling RPG, where 5E will remain for years to come.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's going to be a success and a 'failure' in the same way that every other edition is. It'll have its fans, it'll have its detractors, the core books will sell like hot cakes, and then sales will slide until WotC decides it's time for 6e in about five years.

Me, I couldn't care less. What I know of 5e doesn't interest me; but that's okay because I have other games to occupy me!
It's like you read my mind. :)

I don't believe that 5E will be the number one selling RPG a year after its initial release; I think that Paizo's subscription method will return them to the top rank.

But I hope 5E is a big success and is what I want in a game: varied complexity. If not, I'll just keep running Pathfinder and other games.

The core books will be a success. But it will likely take longer for them to sell the same number of core books as 4e. WotC has lost its place on people's "buy sight unseen" list"

After that, it's too early to tell.
It depends on how well WotC implements their promises of modularity. The quality of their follow up books. How much they cannibalize sales of the core books. I think D&D5 has the potential to be a huge hit. The edition war is WotC's to lose.

Warskull

First Post
I see the potential for a very successful game. However, it really boils down to how well the game is marketed and if the company treats it as a cash cow or a long term investment.

Remove ads