D&D 3E/3.5 Newbie: How to convert monsters from AD&D to 3.5?

Emrick09

First Post
Sorry, I didn't find the thread.. I'd like to convert monsters from AD&D (Ravenloft) to 3.5.

Do you have conversion rules (including Challenge rating and XP)?

Thanks!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Some basic guidelines for 2e to 3.0e conversion are available from WotC in a conversion guide (see the bottom of this page). 3.5e doesn't require too much fixing after that. This therad has some more notes. If you want help on a conversion you're doing, you can post it in this forum, and someone will probably chime in soon enough.

But I'd also suggest seeing if it's already been converted at the EN World Creature Catalog. The CC's goal is to make sure every earlier-edition D&D critter is converted to 3rd edition rules (eventually 3.5e). We're still working on the last few hundred unconverted critters, then we'll probably tackle the ones that have other unofficial conversions. And you're welcome to come join the conversion fun in this forum.

lordxaviar

Explorer
its been shut down, the creature catalog that, which isnt that great a loss, the self important people in charge took no advice from anyone but they chosen few.... many screw ups...

In most cases, AD&D monsters exist in 3e/3.5e/PF1. There are many sources, between the 5 MM’s, Fiend Folio, and the Tomes of Horrors. Just do a Bing or Google search too - a fan may have converted it.

if you can’t find it, you probably could convert by using the same HD and keeping pretty much the same attacks. AC, take 10 - AD&D AC, add the absolute value to 10 = rough 3/3.5/PF1 AC. The game didn’t completely change until 4e.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
3.5 had a huge number of monster manuals & similar books, you can probably find the 3.5 equivalent faster than converting it with the simple conversion stuff freyar linked up earlier by just searching google for something like "3.5 monstername" without quotes unless you are looking for something extremely obscure like a one off variant of something that did.

Remove ads