(In WWF Voice) Let's Get Ready to Fumble!

ren1999

First Post
Modular Optional Rules for 5E.

Fumble,
You roll a 1 and don't have the luck of the Lightfoot Halfling.
Fumble Table

Roll a 1d8

1 your weapon breaks, if your target has a magical weapon of equal or higher value, your magical weapon breaks,

2 you break your hand and now do half-damage with that hand for the encounter duration

3 roll normal damage on your enemy, but your weapon becomes stuck in the enemy, roll a strength or dex check to remove

4 you hit your ally, you fool! roll normal damage on your ally

5 you injure yourself, roll 1d4

6 club footed novice! you and all adjacent allies and enemies fall prone

7 you drop your weapon 5 feet, you must take 1 action to ready it again

8 you lose any remaining actions and reactions until your next turn

Last edited:

n00bdragon

First Post
Good to see the spirit of punishing idiots stupid enough to not cast magic is alive and well. Also people with more attacks (i.e. more skill) are ironically more likely to do all of these things than people who only roll a single d20 a round.

ren1999

First Post
Good to see the spirit of punishing idiots stupid enough to not cast magic is alive and well. Also people with more attacks (i.e. more skill) are ironically more likely to do all of these things than people who only roll a single d20 a round.

Caster's Fumble Too!

1d8

1 your spell rebounds on you and your allies! Stick of a man!

2 you lose your concentration for 1d4 turns and can not remember any spells

3 a demon or devil materializes and attacks your party(equal in level to the two lowest level characters of your party)

4 your next attacker attacks you at advantage

5 your equipment scatters 10 feet

6 there is an explosion, count the number of allies and enemies in the encounter and roll an equivalent die to see who gets hit by the spell

7 you turn light puke yellow for the encounter duration, your magical ability score drops -2 for the remainder of the encounter

8 you cast but another spell that you know executes, choose the spell

nomotog

Explorer
Every time I hear fumble rules, I think of gears of war as really the only game that did fumble rules well. They made them optional and not optional as in here is a house rule use it or don't. They made it optional for the player to use or not use. If you wanted to take a risk that you might fumble, you could have a chance of getting a nice benefit. What if rather then having fumbles randomly on attacks you had fumbles as a consequence to failing powerful attacks. It gives a neat sense of risk reward. I can do this extra powerful attack, but it puts me at risk of a more deadly failure.

gweinel

Explorer
Have the caster roll a 1d20 in addition to all the saves that the targets make.

If the caster rolls a 1, it is a fumble.
If the caster crits, have a crits table?

Combat and Tactics from 2e had fabulous fumble and critical tables both for weapon and magic effects.

ren1999

First Post
I had a critical hits and fumble DM screen. Loved it!
If a monster dies on a crit, a gory end was rolled.

We lessened the severity of the fumbles and crits on the party because it slowed the game.

Each player is encourage to describe what part of the enemy they are attacking.
If the enemy dies on the crit, several results could be possible.

if the weapon is slashing, the called limb is severed in half
if the weapon is piercing, the weapon impaled out the other side
if the weapon is bludgeoning, the opponent is either unconscious or the called limb is crushed

If it is the torso, the victim's entrails fall out,
the 5ft. area becomes a hazard, save or slip prone in the guts and blood.

If it is the neck, roll another d20. On a fumble, you are temporarily blinded for 1 turn by the spray of blood

Last edited:

I'd XP you, maybe ten times in a row, but I can't yet.

Remove ads