[LPF] Rodents of Unusual Size, pt 3

Aura

Explorer
The contents of the scroll case are as follows:

1) A set of word instructions on how to get to the site. It reads:
There are two ways of getting to the site where I saw the goblins.
- The safest way of traveling: Go East to Baron's cross, just a short while out of Venza along the trade road. Once there, turn right and head south along the Silver road. After about 15 miles, the Silver Road ends, keep heading south, and if you're good at navigating, just a little east (but SSE is too much east). If you're lucky, in about 25 miles you'll arrive upon the site, sitting upon a short bluff above the Orino River. More likely, you miss it one way or another, and the easiest way to find it is to find it is to just walk the river a few miles each way, watching for the short bluff upon the north shore along a northern bow of the river.
- The most direct way of traveling, for the directionally impaired but strong of sword: Head down the coast to the mouth of the river and follow it through the marshland. Fight off Boggards, Giant Frogs, and whatever else the land throws at you. Fortunately the marsh ends in about 10-ish miles, and then the travel becomes easy. After about 30 more miles of travel along the river, look for a 3 mile NE jaunt. As the river breaks to head east then SE again, look for the shortish bluff with the building on top. It's easy to see.

2) A local map with the site marked on it, a rough scale, in miles, and Venza labeled.
TargetSite.jpg

Fobok

First Post
Joren settles into his chair, looking over to Jacobson and listens.

When she finishes, he comments, "I'd heard the clerics complaining about rats after coming back from patrols lately, but didn't realize it was such a big problem." He glances to Hawk and the others from the previous case, "What did you find with that giant rat? Any clue as to why it was so big, and spiked, or was it just there?"

Back to Jacobson, he adds, "Just one other question. I've never met a goblin, but are they prone to scare easily?"

[sblock=Joren Mini Stats]Joren
AC: 12 (10 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 11/11
CMB: -1 CMD: 11

Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4
Perception: +2 Sense Motive: +2
Initiative: +2

Claws rounds remaining: 6/6

Level 1 spells remaining: 4/4

Current Weapon in Hand: Light Crossbow
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: none[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Commander Jacobson
Asked about goblins, the Commander nods to Joren. "Yes," she begins, "goblins can be fearful little beasts. But be warned, it's not easy to wield fear like a weapon. Always treat them with caution," she leans in, looks Joren right in the eye, and lowers her voice, "because they really want to eat you."

Raising her voice to normal and turns her attention to the other question, "So, Moretti crew, how about that spiky rat?"

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Jonas remains quiet as Commander Jacobson runs through the mission particulars and Joren asks his questions, smiling just a bit at the Commander's theatrics about Goblins. His foster-father's training had been thorough; he knew something about the horrid little beasts himself.​
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]Knowledge (Nature): Goblins (1d20+7=17)[/sblock]

Initiative: +02
AC: 17 (12 Touch, 15 Flat-Footed)
HP: 31/31
Senses: DarkVision (60’) Perception: +10
CMB: +05 CMD: 17 (+7/19 vs. Trip)
Fort: +06 Reflex: +02 Will: +04
[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dunkel strokes his long beard for a moment before saying, "Do we know what this underground complex was? It is possible that goblins have made it, but if so I'd be fearful about the workmanship. If it be ruins, well it could have some ancient treasures inside. I assume we'd be allowed to keep any worthy trinkets we might find?"

After taking a long draft from his ale he adds to his companions, "I'm for taking the more dangerous path. If the wild creatures aren't culled every so often when they move close to civilized lands, then they may cause problems for travellers later. Might as well do regular folks a favor and kill off any potential future threats while we are on the way."

Mini-Stats
[sblock]
Dunkel Metzgerei the 1st level Dwarven Cleric
AC: 18, Flat-Footed: 17, Touch: 11
HPs: 10/10
Init: +3
CMB: +2
CMD: 13
Fort: +5, Reflex: +2, Will: +6
Speed: 20 feet
Battleaxe: Attack: +2 = [BAB (0) + Ability (2) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, Special: S
Sling: Attack: +1 = [BAB (0) + Ability (1) + Misc (0) + Magic (0)]
Damage: 1d4+2, Crit: 20/x2, Range: 50 ft
Consumable: 20 Sling Stones
In Hand: Battleaxe
Spells Prepared
Level 0: Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
Level 1: Enlarge Person, Protection from Evil, Bless
[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
[sblock=Jonas' Kn Roll]Nothing the Commander said was incorrect, although it was vague. More specifically, Jonas knows Goblins are highly superstitious, and have a combination of fear and hatred for horses, dogs, magic of any type and writing. They like fire and explosions. They are voracious, eat the fallen, with particular taste for humans and gnomes. They are not known to build permanent structures.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

"I seriously doubt the gobbos made the structures . . . they're not much given to building, and are more likely to just take over dwellings abandoned by others." Jonas voice is deep and surprisingly cultured, completely at odds with his fierce, somewhat manic appearance. "I agree that the 'dangerous' route is more appealing, simply because the other is full of such phrases as 'if you're lucky' and 'if you're good at navigating.' I know it's hard to tell just by looking at me, but I prefer the direct approach, and the simplest." He smiles at that last.​
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]--[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Aura

Explorer
Commander Jacobson
The White Cloak takes note of Jonas' words, and upon completion, adds to the response to Dunkel's questions, "The term 'complex' is a bit of a guess on my part, although it seems reasonable. A slew of goblins running out of a door in the side of a bluff supports the idea. However, we know nothing of what is in there… Mr… dwarf guy…"

Jacobson thinks a moment, then suggests, "Outside of Mystie, you all might need to do the 'hello my name is' thing with each other."

Last edited:

Fobok

First Post
Joren's eyes widen at Jacobson's descriptions of goblins, sitting back a little, and then nods a little, "Ok, yeah. No intention of being eaten, if I can help it." He nods to the dwarf and half-orc, "Yeah, dangerous path is probably the best. Looking at our group, it looks like we can handle it." Even though he, himself, doesn't look all that impressive.

Then, as Jacobson says they should do introductions, he speaks up, "I'm Joren. I'm a sorcerer, which means I was born with my magic. I'm also an acolyte of Hinotheus, which... doesn't really mean much, I guess, unless you want someone to lead you in prayer. Hinotheus prefers actions to words, though, so that probably won't come up."

[sblock=Joren Mini Stats]Joren
AC: 12 (10 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 11/11
CMB: -1 CMD: 11

Fort: +2 Reflex: +2 Will: +4
Perception: +2 Sense Motive: +2
Initiative: +2

Claws rounds remaining: 6/6

Level 1 spells remaining: 4/4

Current Weapon in Hand: Light Crossbow
Current Conditions in Effect: None
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: none[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

"And I am Jonas, a priest of Iraznog - which likely means little to most of you, as he is a God primarily worshiped by the Orcs," says the half-orc. "I am young in my faith, though, so I still rely on strength at arms as often as on prayer."
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]--[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Remove ads