Star Wars: Disney scraps the Expanded Universe

http://edit.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lucasfilm-unveils-new-plans-star-698973

Let me be honest, this pretty much means I have near-zero interest in the Disney Trilogy.

To me, the Expanded Universe is as much Star Wars as the movies, maybe even moreso.

When I think of Star Wars, my mind is as much drawn to the Expanded Universe as the films. I've spent over two decades getting to know and love a vast continuity stretching over ~30,000 years from the arrival of the Tho Yor arks on Tython to the death of Darth Krayt at the hands of Cade Skywalker. I've spent way, way too long in the incredible depth and breadth of the intricately-managed continuity of Star Wars, immersed in that virtual world to just walk away because the Army of the Mouse figured it was easier to go "frak it" and make new stuff.

I know Disney (seems dishonest to call it Lucasfilm now that George Lucas isn't involved with it anymore, since Lucasfilm is just another Disney brand now) wants to milk Star Wars for every penny it can, but when I look at the shelves and shelves of novels and comics, the RPG books, the video games, everything. . .for them to just say that's not canon anymore is, to me, ripping Star Wars apart just as much as saying the movies aren't canonical.

I was already skeptical about the new trilogy, but now I guess I can just save my time and effort and ignore the new stuff. Kinda sad that no new Star Wars will be published, at least nothing worth paying attention to.

Y'know, I guess this is a lot like how the people who said that "Lucas ruined their childhood" with the Prequels felt.

Apologies if this is just a little too hot, but it honestly does feel like a kick in the teeth for the long-term dedicated fan to say that the universe you have known and loved since you were a child is essentially scrapped.

I'm sure to the casual Star Wars fan who just likes the movies and occasionally plays some of the video games it won't mean anything, but to me, it feels almost like a friend has died.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yeah.
EU was pretty much a mixed bag. There was some really good material, but there was also tons and tons of utter crap.
Ditching the crap is no loss.
Losing the good parts, however, is sad.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can understand it is disappointing to fans, but, to be honest, I would not want to stick them with thousands of years worth of canon they'd have to stick to. That doesn't leave them much creative space.

And, yes, Disney wants to make money. But, at the moment, Disney seems to have learned that to make money, they need to get good people who know and love the properties, and let them go to work. They have done well by both Marvel and the Muppets in that regard, and if they apply the same to Star Wars, I think we can see some good things.

And, their idea to shift the Expanded Universe to "Star Wars Legends" is a pretty darned bright idea. They allow it to be, and may pick elements from it as they will, and still have the freedom to make up *new* cool Star Wars stuff.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm a little disappointed, but I can see why they would want to do that.

I would have loved to see Thrawn on the Silver Screen, though. :)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I honestly know very little about the Expanded Universe. I remember reading a couple of the books when I was younger, but I couldn't tell you anything about them anymore.

To me, whether they go with the Expanded Universe or not, it doesn't matter because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyone. I just hope that whatever they do, they do a good job at it and make it an enjoyable movie hopefully without ruining too much of the canon stuff. I do understand a little how you feel though because even though I don't feel it for star wars, I'm sure there are other things I would feel it for.

Although I do find it funny that you would say this and that there is a link below to a related thread started by you wondering if the star wars expanded universe has jumped that shark and you sound really unhappy with everything.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases