[May] What are you reading?

aiza55

First Post
Dash-PI by Carol Benjimen Its about a private investagator and dog team solve crimes.I just read The Secert Supper,total waste of money.

delericho

Legend
I'm now halfway through "Fear of the Dark". Next up will be "The Redemption Engine", the latest Pathfinder Tale by James L. Sutter. After that will be "The Lovely Bones", by Alice Sebold. And the next Pathfinder whenever that arrives.

(One of the 'benefits' of the pipe band competition season starting is that I get to spend lots of time on buses waiting for things to happen. Which means I should have plenty of time for reading over the next few months.)

Crothian

First Post
I'm now reading Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire. So far it is really good Urban Fantasy book that is very much like some of her other works.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I've finished Spring Torrents and am now working on the essay on it. Typically a classic like this has a forward that delves into the story a bit, its relations to others by the author and what it means in the context of the time it was written. This translation, though, has only a note explaining that this essay would be included at the end rather than the beginning to avoid coloring the reader's impressions. At first I was a little annoyed by that. I like the essays because they give me things to look for and help me understand more because they clue me in on the context. Now that I've finished the novella, though, I appreciate it. I think it has to do with how modern this story felt and how much Turgenev I've now read. It worked and the essay is still quite interesting reading. I'm not sure how common a practice this is and have some concerns about it concerning a new to me book but overall it wasn't a game changer. Plus I can always start at the back.

At any rate, I have to say that Spring Torrents was wonderful. It's a semi-autobiographical work that explains some of how he felt living his rather unconventional for the time life. I'm not sure that I place it above the collection of stories known as A Sportsman's Notebook (aka Sketches from a Hunter's Album - among others) but, if not, I place it second to it and a close second at that. Anyhoo, do yourself a favor and read it.

Nellisir

Hero
I finished Death of the Necromancer and wanted to go onto The Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy, but the 1st and 3rd books aren't in that box so it'll have to wait. I started Lies of Locke Lamora, but I think I already read it for the second time several years ago, so it's all really familiar and not really grabbing me (I usually have to wait about 5 years between books, minimum). I read Vernor Vinge's Rainbows Edge instead. Now I pulled out the three Winter of the World prequels by Michael Scott Rohan (The Castle of the Winds, The Singer and the Sea, and Shadow of the Seer) and Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions. I'll probably read one or two of the prequels.

Finally get to go to the booksale this weekend. I hate missing the first two weekends. I'm sure there will be plenty left, but maybe not so much in SF/fantasy. :/

Nellisir

Hero
Finished The Castle of the Winds. That series (The Winter of the World) is still an amazing job of world creation. It'd be fantastic as a setting.
Just read The Yard, by Alex Grecian. Really good. A bit formulaic, and not really many surprises, but well written and engaging.

The booksale was meh. Only going the third weekend sucks. :/

Kaodi

Hero
I actually read Dead Until Dark, and liked it, though I do not plan on reading the rest of the series. I do plan on watching it though, ;) .

Crothian

First Post
I enjoyed the Sookie books up until the last one. The series Tru Blood is similiar but they do go in different directions at times.

I finished Skin Game, the latest Dresden Files books. It was very good and I am still really enjoying that series.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases