Planning Ahead, or Living For The Moment?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why would you have that? Go to an hospital or clinique.

In the US, hospitals charge you for services - if you don't have insurance, the costs can become hefty very quickly. And free clinics generally don't have the proper setup to care for a really bad case of food poisoning.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That is damn impressive.
For lack of a better term, it's the Great Depression Mentality. You don't get rid of anything as long as it is partially operational or marginally suited for the intended task. You don't spend any money you don't have to. Change is bad, because it costs you money.

Those pillows were a wedding gift to my grandparents.

Their towels were almost as see-through as lace. My grand-uncle used twine for a belt, and used a wicker basket as a hat when working in his garden. If you looked in the cabinets, you'd see products with outdated labels...and some that had been off the market for years. They had bar soap older than I was...when I was interviewing at Loyola Law school.

I met some of their lifelong friends in Michigan and Illinois. In one household, I found the homeowner had multiple washing machines- one for each cycle of the laundry. And dryers for different heat settings.

Note: none of these people were hoarders. Everything looked normal & clean until you'd round a particular corner, or ask to do some certain task, and suddenly, you're in bizzaro world.

Elf Witch

First Post
My aunt lived through the depression and she held onto things. She had a freezer filled with expired food and a two pantries filled. If she was given a gift of expensive chocolate she would not open it to save for a later date. When she died I found gorgeous Irish lace linens from her wedding that she never used, silver wedding gifts that were still in the box along with fine china none ever used because of her mentality that you don't use things because what if you can't replace them.

She used to yell at us kids that we played too hard with our toys and that we needed to keep them as new as possible. It went far beyond taking care of things to an unhealthy extreme.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Which insect lives hand-to-mouth and also manages to stay in a small amount of debt?

The one time I lived like an Ant, I bought a PC. And still had nothing left over.

Now I'm getting scary-close to 40 and I still have negative savings.

Add that to my "hate my life" file. :/

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My Granduncle had decades of unopened gifts in his closet when he died. I think we gave him the only gifts he actually used in the last 20 years- a multi-pocket vest and a broad-brimmed folding hat for his fishing trips.

Right now, his executor/main beneficiary has most of his worldly possessions locked up in a room on the family farm. She can't bear to go through it all...because she's working with the estates of her own father- his brother- and his estate was much the same. Lots of ancient stuff, stored away against a future day.

Remove ads