Modos Rulebook 1.2: the real-time editing thread

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Version 1.20 download here.

Players:
Want to design your own class? Define your own ability scores? Get rewarded for good roleplaying?

GMs:
Want to opt out of rolling dice? Create NPC stats in seconds? Add your own rules seamlessly into an RPG?

These are just some of the aspirations of Modos RPG. And since it's free to all, I'm also opening its development up to the masses as well.

Welcome to the real-time editing thread, version 1.2. There are three sections: the chapter notes (updated in this post), the discussion via replies, and the attached document-in-progress. Changes will be discussed, then posted to the chapter notes, and finally updated in the attached document when a suitable replacement has been submitted.

ANY AND ALL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS THREAD WILL BE CONSIDERED FREE FOR PUBLIC REPRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION, AS IS THE ENTIRE MODOS RPG DOCUMENT. CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN TO CONTRIBUTORS AS CONTRIBUTING AUTHORS/ARTISTS AS APPROPRIATE.

Overview of changes by chapter:

Chapter 1: Introduction
[sblock]-[/sblock]
Chapter 2: Guides of Modos
[sblock]-[/sblock]
Chapter 3: Player-Characters
[sblock]-Starting level recommendations: as level name. Include a paragraph on this.
Character concept: include flaws - the weak spots in a character's stats, which enable a character to regain hero points. And goals - which help determine if a flaw is obstructing a goal or not.
Character creation: recommend base stats of 8, 10, 12. Then add 1 for each character level.
EXPERIENCE: each session, the GM hands out a skill point, ability point, or perk to each
character. When they get one of each (or just three?), they gain a level and hero point

[/sblock]
Chapter 4: Skills
[sblock]-Skill description format: since skills are abstract, text can refer to a particular skill, like underwater basket weaving, and use parenthesis for a skill recommendation, like (profession[craftsman])

[/sblock]
Chapter 5: Perks
[sblock]-Affect +1 target with your spell that affects multiple targets: Mass Destroyer
Max damage perks gain value as effects can avoid protection
Large size: use a movement action to designate one defensive enemy as offensive.
Small size: use a movement action to designate one offensive enemy as defensive.
Perks: max dmg (tuned) and protection perks (mystic ward?) for metaphys as well.
Dual wield: using a second or double weapon, and no shield, grants you an extra attack action.
perk: MAGICAL APTITUDE character can use any bonus actions for Cast Spell.
Rewrite the archetype recommendations

[/sblock]
Chapter 6: Equipment
[sblock]-Two types of weapon/damage assignment: by weapon (folk), or by score. d20 always requires GM approval.
Important: natural armor does not reduce P score. Also, unarmored, yet tough, monsters can take Toughness. (means real armor has built-in anti-perk)
Means...perks are valid use of P armor. Weapons...
Light weapon - low damage + shield
Medium weapon - normal damage + shield
Heavy weapon - two hands - CHOICE OF MORE DAMAGE OR TWO ATTACKS, and no shield
--double weapon advantage: can choose 2-handed damage, or lower damage but extra attack--
d12 damage - exceptional damage
ALL PRICES ARE IN SILVER PIECES - converted from internet prices
[/sblock]
Chapter 7: Magic
[sblock]-More spells needed[/sblock]
Chapter 8: Conflict
[sblock]-Chapter changes:
Encourage the GM to take half all the time
Die rolling: with an action like spellcasting - multiple dice are required to be rolled (cast spell contest, damage, casting damage, MP protection). If not taking half, as many as possible should be rolled at the same time to speed up play.

Combat rounds: describe action-sequence in addition to turns and rounds. (i.e. each non-acting character (NAC) performs his action IN RESPONSE TO the acting character.
--actions are described like:
GM: the gnoll swings his knobkerry at your head for 7 damage
PC: I bring my shield up just-in-time, to see the knobkerry break through the shield!
The "average person rule." Every contest is rolled based on what the average person could do. The difficulty (modifier or contest/fate) is based on this. Note that average people don't have hero points.
Divorce extended conflict from combat?
Extended conflict uses rounds, initiative, progress.
Combat just assigns special values
Initiative: player's choice for ability bonus
Skill used: mostly Fight or Cast Spell
Progress indicator: weapon damage
Goal: max damage
Protection: ???
Contest bonuses for roleplaying
Conflict: number of contests - more contests increase stress. A character could climb a
wall with one roll, or to make it more "cinematic," require several rolls.
CAN PC COMBINE ACTIONS when not in extended conflict? Sure. But this should either open him up to enemy interference, or require GM to
roll the difficulty for each action.
ADDITIONAL section on Progress Damage - like convincing someone

[/sblock]
Chapter 9: Bestiary
[sblock]-Monster creator note: DEFENSES
Three ability scores need three defenses.
Defense types:
- High score - determined by balance/minmax/average
- Protection - comes from perks
- Defense skill - from creature concept
Trap stats: physical is the progress stat, mental is the trap’s Detect, MP for magic traps…
Balancing encounters: total PC levels should equal total NPC levels???

Two types of weapon/damage assignment: by weapon (folk), or by score. d20 always requires GM approval.
Important: natural armor does not reduce P score. Also, unarmored, yet tough, monsters can take Toughness. (means real armor has built-in anti-perk)
New (natural) weapon damage table:
Level Average damage
1-2 d4
3-4 d6
5-6 d8
7-8 d10
9+ d12
Monsters:
Undead: deal MP or M damage -
also Skill damage (like Cast Spell, or one of the defenses)
or the more-powerful ABILITY PENALTY (not ability damage)

[/sblock]
Chapter 10: Modules
[sblock]-Modules
- Three sections: description of rules mod, INCORPORATION of rules mod, and actual rules
- New section: incorporation. How do the new rules affect gameplay/other rules?

[/sblock]
Appendices and Index
[sblock]-[/sblock]

Attachments

• ModosRulebook1-2-0.docx
    777.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Some changes from version 1.1:

The limitation that spellcasting damage cannot be protected has been removed. (This opens the door wide for dedicated casters, but they'll be consuming lots of perks to do it.)

Spells will not deal multiple damage dice per target. A spell increases damage by increasing its damage die - and affects more targets by requiring more casting actions. The increased difficulty formerly associated with casting spells at multiple targets has been removed - for now.

Bonus attacks are not a function of limbs, they're now a function of perks. A character gets an extra attack by taking the dual wielder perk (for weapons) or martial artist perk (for limbs).

Flaws and goals will be introduced into the character concept discussion, to facilitate earning hero points for exploiting your character's flaws to obstruct his goals. (And increase roleplaying.)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The action table

No no, this game does not have tables of different actions nor combat modifiers for each action nor possible attacks of opportunity for each action, depending, of course, on your feats and relevant ability scores...

The action table is an illustration that I want to use in version 1.2 to help players visualize how extended conflict goes. The plan is to use something like this:

RoundTurnActionConanHan SoloMacGuyver
1Con1Move to offenseReady blasterMove to defense
1Con2Attack HanParry ConanChew bubble gum
1Con3(reserve action)

1Han4Attack HanShoot Conan
1Mac5

Apply gum to wire
2Con6Combined attackParry ConanMove to offense
2Con7Combined attackParry ConanAttack with gadget
2Con8Disarm HanParry Conan
2Mac9

Detonate gadget
Does that make sense? Would it look better if the Conan, Han, and MacG columns were say, First Actor, Second Actor, Third Actor, or 1st Initiative, 2nd Initiative, 3rd Initiative?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Moving on to the Perks chapter.

The defensive skills have been marked as such, like "parry" became "defend-parry." This will make it easier to look at your three abilities and know which one is vulnerable. (Remember, you can protect an ability with protection, a skill, or a high score).

The roleplaying and roll-playing sections in the Characters chapter have been streamlined - mostly to illustrate what each subject means in terms of this particular game.

Also, Merloon was the first example-character to get a level-up, which he gained by the improvement-by-session method.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm re-writing some perks. Which is a really great place for game-breaking rules. So wish me luck.

I added a couple level-based perks:

Legendary hero:
If you're level 6 or higher, your hero point die becomes d8 instead of d6.
Epic hero:
If you're level 10 or higher, your hero point die becomes d10 instead of d6 or d8.

And this one, which is intended to make fireballs more impressive:

Mass Destruction (spell name):
Choose a spell that you know that deals damage to multiple targets. Increase the number of targets affected by one.

So you see how things could get ugly here. Here's the chapter-flavor text, if you're interested:

Betty (playing Montana): Greg, do you remember how Montana used his whip as a helicopter blade to slow his fall two sessions ago?

Greg (GM): Yeah, that was pretty cool! And a lucky roll…

Betty: Well, instead of rolling for that next time, I want to make that my next perk. Is that cool?

Greg: If it improves your skills, it’s an “ability.” If it improves with use, it’s a “skill.” Will it do either of those?

Betty: No, I just want it to be a standard bonus, “if Montana is falling with his whip, he can use it to avoid a lethal fall.”

Greg: Are you sure that you don’t just want to take the lucky day perk?

Betty: Yes. This is more specific. It requires Montana to have his whip, and only applies if he’s falling. But it’s not limited by hero point availability.

Greg: I approve. What do you want to call it?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Moving on to chapter 6: equipment.

I breezed over this chapter in version 1.1. Do Modos players really need another list of non-weapons and non-armor to buy?

I want to include more language about how your character doesn't need money to start with: what you have is based on your character concept. Once play begins, there are three ways to spend money:

1) Get it and spend it.
2) Receive it from your concept and spend it.
3) Roll for your purchases, ala d20 Modern.
[MENTION=6746469]Dethklok[/MENTION] pointed out at one point (ha, summoned) that silver pieces were a more realistic option to use for prices. Which is fine by me, but for a setting-less game, would I be better served using "units" or "credits?"

Thoughts?

Dethklok

First Post
silver pieces were a more realistic option to use for prices. Which is fine by me, but for a setting-less game, would I be better served using "units" or "credits?"
Mmm. It would fit your style to use "credits," but silver pieces are almost totally setting-free. "Florins," "Silver Pennies," "Schillings," "Drachmae," "Solidi," "Sheqels," or "Silver Tael" are all setting rich; "silver pieces" is undescriptive. Anyone who wanted to use odd currencies like gold, mercury, gems, or jars of moonlight could just as easily change these from silver pieces as they could from credits.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
"silver pieces" is undescriptive. Anyone who wanted to use odd currencies like gold, mercury, gems, or jars of moonlight could just as easily change these from silver pieces as they could from credits.

Silver pieces implemented. And the equipment chapter actually has some gear in it.

I'll leave you with the flavor text, and then move on to the magic chapter...

Greg (GM): the hold is dark, cold, and smelly. It contains leaky pipes, mattresses, and a vending machine.

Chris (Number 2259): anything’s better than sitting in that brood mother’s lap. I stretch out on the ground, and pat myself down, taking inventory with my hands.

Greg: okay. You find your usual gear, in all of the usual places. Except…(rolls a die.)

Chris: except what!?

Greg: the majority of stuff you found in the alien hive was stashed in your vacuum-bag, which was shot to bits when the hyperspatial rescue team arrived to save you.

Chris: (stunned.) You mean, the legacy drive, the cryo-kit, the Emperor’s databit…were all destroyed? I don’t have them?

Greg: your shell armor isn’t built for cargo. Every pocket has a purpose, and after checking, you realize that each one is currently filling its assigned purpose.

Chris: I knew that rescue team was too good to be true.

Greg: well, you still have the upgrade chip for your space helmet, which gives you motion-tracking capabilities to your H.U.D. and thermal vision as well. That’s worth two perks, which is a little above your level. So consider yourself lucky.

Chris: woah! That’s worth a fortune to a hyper-soldier like Five-Nine. I feel around on the floor for my helmet, and pull it close. Then I make a mental note to go explore the ruins of that alien hive when I get a chance. I think, right now, my rescuers don’t need to know that there could be a broken databit, with imperial correspondence on it, lying around the hive somewhere.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Balancing spells

Ah, spells. I'm going over the spells for each level, making sure the levels are balanced as far as spell count and power. The following translation notes are not necessary for analysis if you have a basic understanding of Final Fantasy or D&D spells.

Level 1EffectLevel 2EffectLevel 3EffectLevel 4Effect
Altercaster morphAnti-Fired12 P fire prot------Berserkreq 2 fights
Armord8 P protAnti-Iced12 P ice protCure2d12 P healingConfuserandom act
Awakenheal MAnti-Lightningd12 P lit protDispelcontest ends spellFlared8 fire, mult
Charmimprove tudeBlindreduce mult skill by -4Draind8 P damage, d8 healHeald8 heal, mult
Cured8 PDarktarget lose two light levelsFastgain 2 fight actionsIce2d8 ice, -4 move
Fear1 fear actionFloatwalk on waterFire2d12 fire dmgInvisibility2mult invis
Fired8 fireIced8 ice, -4 moveFog2"-6 pen in areaPiggy-4 skills
Fog"-2 vision pen in areaInvisibilitycaster in shadow lightHarm2d8 MP mult undeadPsychd8 MP dmg & heal
Harmd8 MP undeadMute"-4 cast spell and speaking skills, can't speakHastegain 1 free actionPuredispel poison
Lamptwo light levelsRuse"+8 parryHoldno P actionsVenomd4 dmg, maintain
Lightningd8 litStatusdetect health---
Warpcaster teleports
Lock"-4 parrySizegain small or large perkLightning2d12 lit dmg

------Sightarcane eyeLock2-4 parry, mult

Shell"+4 vs cast spellPoisond4 dmg, no prot

Sleepgoes to sleep

Sleep2multiple targets

Temperweap focus

Slow-1 free action

Translation notes:
- There are three abilities: Physical (P), Mental (M), and Metaphysical (MP)
- Characters generally get three actions per turn
- Prot stands for protection, which is a die roll that gets subtracted from each damage die a character faces
- The three defense skills are parry (for physical), concentration (for mental), and willpower (for metaphys)
- Each spell costs d8+(spell level) MP, so casters generally get more bang for their buck out of higher spell levels

Would you suggest moving some spells to different levels or adjusting their power? I already have my eye on "Mini". . .

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
4th level spells are filled out, and the Conflict chapter now features some streamlined rules, a game of duck-duck-gray duck, and a high-school level argument between Mercury and Poseidon.

Remove ads