Nazareth Awakened [Mage: The Awakening] [OOC]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The Life 1 spell Sense Life has a section 'By adding a Space 1 component to the spell'. So, that means Sense Life can be a conjunctional spell, right?. Is there any difference in the casting of a conjunctional spell? I didn't find anything about it other than brief references on pp. 20, 111, & 117.

Currently I'm thinking +1 dot in Life, +1 dot in Space (I was torn between Space & Forces but Sense Life tipped it towards Space; I am overall more interested in Forces, though).
Rotes: Sense Life, Healer's Trance, & Finder.
As for xp, I think I'm saving it until something comes up in play that warrants expenditure or until Ch. 2 ends and we can spend on Aracana, whichever comes first.

Rubberneck

First Post
It's hilarious all of us were interested in Forces lol but I mean who doesn't want to control fire and electricity and stuff lol. Since it seems a few are picking up Forces I'll be going with both dots into Prime. I Still need time to consider rotes.

Shayuri

First Post
Forces is my inferior Arcana. :(

I will probably be going heavier into Space...cuz it dovetails rather neatly with Time. Beyond that, maybe some Life...some Matter...

I dunno, really. I need to sit down and really get a feel for Chance. Realistically, between Fate, Time and Space, she probably won't be able to do more than dabble in anything else...

TillForPie

First Post
The Life 1 spell Sense Life has a section 'By adding a Space 1 component to the spell'. So, that means Sense Life can be a conjunctional spell, right?. Is there any difference in the casting of a conjunctional spell? I didn't find anything about it other than brief references on pp. 20, 111, & 117.
If Harper were to take Space 1 he'd have the ability to cast Sense Life as either a normal or a conjunctional spell. Realistically he'd never have a reason not to cast it with Space 1, as doing so doesn't make the spell any harder to cast and in fact makes it more difficult to counter (not that anyone's ever likely to try to counter such a spell).

GlassEye said:
Currently I'm thinking +1 dot in Life, +1 dot in Space (I was torn between Space & Forces but Sense Life tipped it towards Space; I am overall more interested in Forces, though).
Rotes: Sense Life, Healer's Trance, & Finder.
As for xp, I think I'm saving it until something comes up in play that warrants expenditure or until Ch. 2 ends and we can spend on Aracana, whichever comes first.
Sounds good - this all checks out. Just as a note to everyone, while you can certainly spend experience mid-chapter it probably wouldn't be kosher to do so in the middle of a scene. For example, Mosier couldn't have had Agnasci purchase a Drive (Motorcycle) specialty on the spot upon seeing BR's bike in the driveway, but I'd let him purchase it as soon as he had some small amount of IC downtime.

It's hilarious all of us were interested in Forces lol but I mean who doesn't want to control fire and electricity and stuff lol. Since it seems a few are picking up Forces I'll be going with both dots into Prime. I Still need time to consider rotes.
Yup, Forces is a cool arcanum, made especially tempting I think because nobody in the group is specializing in it. I know Mosier is picking up Forces for Agnasci.

Realistically, between Fate, Time and Space, she probably won't be able to do more than dabble in anything else...
Arcana specialization is definitely the norm. You'll find that this holds true among awakened NPCs you encounter - even masters like Penrose and Magellan have only a few dots outside their top two or three arcana.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm mostly interested in increasing my Life and Spirit arcana as I'd like Harper to develop towards being a healer and spirit-wrangler. Forces, yeah, manipulating fire and stuff sounds cool and all but I was mainly interested in it for the level 1 and 2 spells for generating heat. Harper is feeling increasing constrained living in the bookstore with momma-Faye bossing him around and I'm considering having him move back onto the street; a heat redirection/generation spell might be useful during cold nights. Maybe he'll get a furnished room or something; I'll see how things go in this next chapter.

I'm not all that interested in advancing the Space arcana but Space 1 adds onto his Sense Life spell allowing him to pinpoint the location of the life he senses. And since that came up in play (or its lack, anyway) I thought adding Space appropriate.

EDIT: Yeah, I didn't mean mid-scene. If, for example, we get into trouble and Harper's lack of gun skills were a problem he might later ask Law to take him to a shooting range and give him some lessons. After scene down-time stuff as you mentioned.

TillForPie

First Post
I'm mostly interested in increasing my Life and Spirit arcana as I'd like Harper to develop towards being a healer and spirit-wrangler. Forces, yeah, manipulating fire and stuff sounds cool and all but I was mainly interested in it for the level 1 and 2 spells for generating heat. Harper is feeling increasing constrained living in the bookstore with momma-Faye bossing him around and I'm considering having him move back onto the street; a heat redirection/generation spell might be useful during cold nights. Maybe he'll get a furnished room or something; I'll see how things go in this next chapter.
If you recall, Harper's secured a room at Law's mom's place.

I'm not all that interested in advancing the Space arcana but Space 1 adds onto his Sense Life spell allowing him to pinpoint the location of the life he senses. And since that came up in play (or its lack, anyway) I thought adding Space appropriate.
It's true that Harper wasn't able to precisely pinpoint the locations of people using Sense Life, but he was able to sense pretty well where they were in relation to his own location. Space is an incredibly useful arcanum because at level 2 it enables a mage to use magic sympathetically, probably one of the most powerful abilities in the game. But grabbing a dot primarily to unlock the last 10% of the functionality of one spell risks you feeling like you've wasted it further down the road. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Yah Law offered Harper a place to stay. Which reminds me I should probably maybe describe the layout of the house, I'm not sure if it's necessary but why not haha. I'll do it in game and give kind of 'The Grand Tour' if Harper ends up going there. That'll be hilarious. 2 Magi under the same roof, one specializing in Life the other in Death... hahaha. Eventually I plan to set up Law to be completely self sufficient. He'll be like Penrose kinda except not as crotchety. :p

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, so...Chance will go to Time 2, Fate 2, Space 1. That's the two more arcana dots.

I do want to spend some exp to bump her Occult skill from 1 to 2 as well. That'll just be normal exp.

Also, are you sure about the 10 Arcane exp so far? I could have sworn we'd gotten 6 arcane exp before this, and now another 6...but as my brain is notoriously dodgy on questions of numbers and exact figures and...well, most things really...I will take your word for it. :)

New rotes! I recall rotes are 1 'dot' each, hopefully...

Correspondence.
Spatial Map.
Finder.

Hee. I know harper wants that too, but it's just too IC for Chance to pass up. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads