Treadmill Removal

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Back when I last played, Inherent Bonuses were still a hot topic. Some loved them, some hated them. And some other folks realized "Hey - if we're doing all this work of giving players +1 to +6 bonuses that are either Magic or Inherent, and also everyone is taking Expertise just to make sure they keep up with the opposition, why not remove the whole number treadmill?"

I assume this is accomplished by reducing all traps and monsters' attacks, defenses, and skill checks by their level, removing the Feat Bonus from any feats that have it (notably Expertise), and using magic items but not getting any +1 from them.

So bigger monsters/players still improve in hit points, ability scores, damage dealt, number of abilities and powers they have access to, etc. At even levels you still get a feat, and at odd levels you still get a cool new attack or daily power. But lower-level threats remain relevant for longer (due to attacks/defenses not drifting apart) and you can throw in the occasional high-level monster without dooming the players to missing all their attacks.

I can't locate the threads where that was discussed, however. Have any of you folks tried such a change, and if so, how did it work? Are there any problems I need to watch out for if I were to try such a thing out in my next game?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, remove all the vertical advancement and keep all the horizontal advancement?

I don't know if this matches the threads you're looking for, but this can be used for that. It basically gets rid of all the mathbits and turns them into more game-like elements.

Because screw you, numbers! :)

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Hm, I was only planning to remove the increases to d20 rolls, so that there's always a decent chance to hit and a decent chance to miss against any level target. But that thread has an interesting take on making combat as light and fast as everything else, by essentially making it a skill challenge! My aunt (who will be playing with us, she's cool) would probably love that, though it's probably too big a change for me!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I did something like this: I cut out the half-level bonus on both sides, decreased Monster numbers by the expertise bonus (and cut out all expertise feats), incorporated half of inherent bonuses in as a 'tier-bonus' and reduced the range of magic items from +1-6 to +1-3.

Worked fine and sped up the game a little for a while.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases