Flaw Curious, Avoids People, Needs People. Can these Flaws work together? What would a character with them be like?

a-d

First Post
A long time ago I came across the Flaws, Curious, Avoids People, and Needs People.

And while that probably isn't what their titles actually were, it describes what they were supposed to be fairly well.

What I'm wondering is if the Flaw Avoids People can pair up with Curiosity or Needs People, and what the personality of someone who had two or even all three of these seemingly conflicting needs would be like.

Any ideas?
Ever played as or with someone who's character acted similarly to how you think one with such Flaws would behave?

Why Curiosity?
Because I imagine someone with Curiosity as a Flaw 'Needs to Know.' Which means they're nosy and possibly drawn to rumor mills and gossip. Both of which would become more difficult if they prefer to avoid people.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Curiosity has no dependancy on people - it is a simple desire to find out about things, so it easily works with the other two.

Avoids People and Needs People is a lot harder to visualize. This could work out however as some who actively dislikes people, but keeps finding themselves in a position where he/she needs their assistance in matters. This could lead to a situation, for example, where the individual works as part of an adventuring group but tries to scout ahead, lag behind or offers to do all the "boring" research so they don't have to directly interact with the other members.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...or someone who desperately wants to belong to this group or that, to be popular...but then finds himself extremely uncomfortable in the social situations imposed by group membership.

IOW, the person is constantly in a cycle of longing and avoidance.

Dandu

First Post
A long time ago I came across the Flaws, Curious, Avoids People, and Needs People.
Sheldon_cooper.jpg

...or someone who desperately wants to belong to this group or that, to be popular...but then finds himself extremely uncomfortable in the social situations imposed by group membership.

This, especially the last line. These three flaws sound like exactly a description of one of my family members, and Dannyalcatraz' description fits them perfectly.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

I was going to say this too. That's exactly what I thought of when I saw those two flaws.

Someone with both flaws is going to want to be around people, but will likely find themselves "socially awkward" when they are, to the point where they're now avoiding groups of people because they're certain they'll feel embarrassed, frustrated, and uncertain if they fraternize with them. That doesn't mean that they don't want to join the group, though - they just know that things will go sideways if they try.

In other words, they'll want something that they're convinced they can't have.

Remove ads