Critter Bits and Magic Recipes!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ

Critter Bits and Magic Recipes!

if you've played D&D before 3E, then you probably know what i'm talking about. in older editions of the game, lots of monsters had body parts that could be used for spell components, or to make magic items out of. this is still in 3E to some extent, but nowhere near what it used to be. what i want to do is collect all the old references and make them 3E playable, for those of us who'd still like to use those old rules.

i could spend several hours looking all this stuff up by myself, but i just don't have that kind of time. so, here's what i want you to do for me, if you feel so inclined. i can't use, "um, i think the old monster manual used to say..." what i need is specifics, something i can check upon and verify. for example, "the 2E monstrous manual says: The feathers of a cockatrice are prized by certain wizards as many magical scrolls must be inscribed with pens made from such quills," would be ideal. or if you don't have time for that, and were to simply go through a certain work and list names and/or page numbers where i could find such info, that would also work just fine. if you know of an online source that contains info like this, then please post a link to that site or page.

monster books would, of course, be ideal choices to research. but keep in mind, other sources such as an old PHB, DMG, unearthed arcana, or the tome of magic are other likely sources to contain such monster lore. give me info from ANY official book, boxed set, or magazine from ANY pre-3E edition or version of D&D, from any campaign world. don't worry if the monster in question (or the spell or magic item it yields) doesn't have 3E stats yet. somewhere, someone probably has a conversion, so it will be useful somehow.

and, thanks in advance - i hope this proves to be useful to all of us.
    Last edited by BOZ; Thursday, 2nd January, 2003 at 06:26 AM.

Ignore Maldur
    Do you only want 2E or earlier references or do you also want 3E references. (Im not sure if they are there but they might?)
    So many games, so little time!

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    bump
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    anything before 3e: D&D basic, AD&D 1E, AD&D 2E, and anything else i missed.

as time becomes available for me, i will do some research myself and post things on this thread. i would have done it before posting this, but i just thought of this idea tonight while gaming, and didn't want to take a chance that i'd forget about it.
    Last edited by BOZ; Thursday, 2nd January, 2003 at 07:11 AM.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Olive
    Theres some stuff in the BoVD about power components: devil's heart and the like.

Also, one of the magic weapons mentions angel's wings.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Richards
    Okay, here's some 2E stuff I just happened to have lying around...

"The Ecology of the Amphisbaena," Dragon #215, p. 38:
    Wizards often use amphisbaena scales as ingredients in the manufacture of spells and items providing protection from cold-based attacks.
    "The Ecology of the Osquip," Dragon #227, p. 42:
    Osquip dung hardens after about an hour's exposure to air, at which time it maintains the hardness of stone. For this reason, jermlaine often use osquip dung as mortar to make stone walls, seal off tunnel entrances, and even to fashion sling stones and crude stone implements like axeheads.
    p. 43:
    "Osquip incisors can be used as substitute material components for the dig spell, allowing it to be cas as normal, or it can be used to affect an amount of solid stone equal to half as much dirt as normally affected. The teeth are, naturally, consumed in the course of the spell."

"How many teeth per use?"

"Two: one upper and one lower incisor from the same creature."
    p. 43:
    "Osquip dung is a perfectly usable substitute for clay in the use of a stone shape spell."
    "The Ecology of the Roper," Dragon #232, p. 46:
    The stomach acid from a slain roper is worth about 4 gp per ounce to an alchemist. A full-grown roper can supply 80-120 ounces of the acid, but it must be carefully harvested and stored only in platinum vials. Other roper by-products include the glands that produce the sticky glue coating its cilia and strands (the glue itself sells for about 8 gp per ounce, or 25 gp per gland, of which the roper has a total of four) and the eye, which is considered a delicacy among certain humanoid races (prices vary). Roper glue is a valuable component used in the preparation of sovereign glue.
    "The Ecology of the Nymph," Dragon #240, p. 72:
    A sleeping potion made from--among other things--a lock of nymph's hair will cause imbibers to save vs. posion at -2 or fall into a deep sleep lasting 2d4 hours.
    p. 72:
    If the nymph's hair is enchanted, woven into a cloth and sewn into a garment, the wearer adds 1 to his or her Charisma. Creating such a garment requires the use of an enchant an item spell but no further spells--the Charisma boost is powered by the magic from the nymph's hair and works for as long as the garment is worn. At least 20 strands of hair from a single nymph are required to create such a garment. The types of magical vestments are many, but popular ones include robes, capes, and shirts or blouses.
    p.72:
    "I haven't begun distilling the [nymph's] tears into philters of love yet, but I'd guess we should have enough for at least four, maybe five."
    "The Ecology of the Steeder," Dragon #245, p. 81:
    Body parts from steeders can be used in the creation of slippers of spider climbing and boots of striding and springing. They are not used in creating cloaks of arachnida because of the steeder's lack of a dangerous venom and its inability to travel over or produce webs.
    "The Ecology of the Flumph," Dragon #246, p. 78:
    The brain of a flumph--a small organ located just under the creature's upper shell, midway between its mouth and its rear rim hole--when pulverized, produces a liquid useful in the production of potions of levitation. One flumph brain provides enough liquid for three such potions.

The inner layer of hollow flumph tentacles can be removed and used as one of the ingredients for oil of acid resistance. It takes about 20 tentacles for an application of this magical oil.

The gland that stores the flumph's defensive spray can be used as an alternative material component for the stinking cloud spell. If used for this purpose, any flumphs within one mile of the spell's effect have a 50% chance of investigating the stinking cloud.
    Hopefully that'll get you started for now.

Johnathan

"Osquip dung is a perfectly usable substitute for clay in the use of a stone shape spell."

i am glad they added the qualifier about the spell

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    thanks richards, that's exactly the sort of think i'm looking for.

Edit: you wrote those articles, didn't you?
    Last edited by BOZ; Friday, 3rd January, 2003 at 02:45 AM.
    don't quote me on that.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Richards
    Yeah, guilty as charged. Here are a couple more:

"The Ecology of the Sphinx," Dragon #244, p. 86:
    A criosphinx's horn can be used as an alternate material component for the shout spell.
    "The Ecology of the Flail Snail," Dragon #258, p. 62:
    "The main value of the creature is, of course, its shell, which has a market value of about 5,000 gold pieces and a wide variety of magical uses."

"The most obvious use of the shell is the creation of magical shields," said Willowquisp, consulting his notes. "Two shields can be made from a single shell, which not only offer excellent protection from weapons, but also carry the shell's magical protection from spells for a number of months."

[Footnote: These are shields +2 and provide protection from spells for 1-6 months in the same manner as the shell does for the living flail snail (40% chance of spell malfunction, 30% chance of it working normally, 20% chance of total negation, 10% chance the spell is reflected back at the spellcaster). Even after the spell-altering effects of the shield fade, it remains a shield +2.]
    p. 62:
    "Optionally, the shell can be ground down and made into a robe of scintillating colors," said Buntleby.
    p. 62:
    "Optionally, the shell can be brewed into several potions of rainbow hues," submitted Willowquisp.
    p. 62:
    "It is believed that the creature's 'love darts' may be used in philters of love," said Buntleby.
    p. 62:
    The stomach and liver of a flail snail, when ground up and mixed with flail snail blood, are valuable ingredients in an elixir of health, negating any previously-ingested poisons. Flail snail skin, along with a small coating of the mucus that normally covers it, when finely ground can be used in the creation of potions of fire resistance.

In addition, flail snail mucus, although not a standard ingredient, can be used to create potions of climbing. However, this thickens the potion so much that it takes two full rounds to imbibe (and does nothing to enhance the taste, to say the least).
    "The Ecology of the Carrion Crawler," Dragon #267, p. 68:
    Severed tentacles can be sold to an alchemist, for when properly boiled, the essence thus distilled can be fashioned into a potion protecting the imbiber from all forms of paralysis (including that of ghouls, ghasts, and various other undead creatures) for 1d10+2 turns. Optionally, an alchemist can craft a potion that paralyzes the drinker for 2d6 turns. (This is often the unintended result of a poorly made batch of the potion mentioned above.) Finally, carrion crawler tentacle essence can be used to fashion a gummy ointment that, if spread lavishly over a pair of gloves, allows the wearer to paralyze other living beings for 1d8 turns by touch. The ointment generally wears off after 2-5 uses or 1d4+2 hours, whichever comes first. Of course, those foolish enough to try applying the ointment directly on their own hands usually end up paralyzing themselves.

Details on the uses of carrion crawler essence can be found on page 91 of the Ravenloft campaign supplement Lords of Darkness.
    "The Ecology of the Pseudodragon," Dragon #269, p. 79:
    Pseudodragon poison can be sold for about 100 gold pieces per ounce. A slain pseudodragon yields about 12 ounces from its venom sac; living pseudodragons can be "milked" (against their will; they see the process as extremely demeaning) for about 20 ounces a week.
    p. 79:
    Pseudodragon skin can be used in the production of rings of chameleon power, potions of rainbow hue, and cloaks of elvenkind.
    p. 79:
    Pseudodragon blood is often used in the creation of rings of spell resistance.
    p. 80:
    Pseudodragon eggs can be sold for as much as 10,000 gold pieces on the open market. Hatchlings can fetch up to 20,000 gold pieces to the right buyer. (Wizards, especially those without access to the find familiar spell, are the primary target audience.)
    "The Ecology of the Gorbel," Dragon #270, p. 84:
    It isn't easy, but it is possible to harvest useful gorbel byproducts. Gorbel eyes can be used as substitute material components for the wizard eye spell, but they must be harvested before the gorbel explodes.

Another byproduct of possible use is the pyrophoric gas produced in the gorbel's hollow body, which, if extracted, can be used in the production of potions of fire breath.

The gorbel's rubbery hide, if taken intact, could be put to use in fashioning a lighter-than-air craft like a balloon or a zeppelin. Of course, it would take many gorbel hides to create a large craft; to date, no successes in this endeavor have been documented.
    Johnathan

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Richards
    Here's a little more:

"The Ecology of the Dark Naga," Dragon #261, p. 66:
    The cranial portions of dark naga skulls are often used to craft medallions of ESP or amulets of proof against detection and location. The rubbery, baglike organs in their gullets are sometimes used in the manufacture of bags of holding. Dark naga blood is one of several possible types of blood used to empower a periapt of proof against poison and is also employed in the creation of potions of ESP and oil of acid resistance. Finally, the dark naga's hide itself is sought for its unusual color, and the poison sac near the creature's tail spike can be siphoned to harvest a single dose of sleep venom.
    "The Ecology of the Hydra," Dragon #272, p. 87:
    Dragons find hydras delicious. To take advantage of this, wizards and alchemists have devised a potion of dragon attraction made primarily of hydra blood and crushed scales, as well as certain glands from the hydra's body (those involved in the production of subtle pheromones). A single hydra can produce up to five such potions; when poured on the ground, a potion of dragon attraction brings any dragon within a mile in search of a tantalizing meal. The effects of this potion wear off in 20 minutes as the liquid evaporates.

If the potion is foolishly consumed, however, the hapless imbiber becomes the target of all dragon gourmands within a two-mile radius for a full hour. During this time, all dragons are convinced of the imbiber's tastiness and concentrate the majority of their attacks upon the delicious morsel before them.

Potions of dragon attraction carry a market value of 150 gold pieces. (In 3rd Edition, these potions can be created by a spellcaster of at least 2nd level with the Brew Potion feat.)
    pp. 88-89:
    "Just what do you plan on doing with that hydra if you kill it?" asked Rhionda suddenly.

"We're primarily interested in its blood," said Buntleby. "According to Old Gumphrey, our chief alchemist, it can be used in the production of healing potions of various strengths, hopefully without the wart-producing side-effects we get when using troll's blood."

"Yeah, well, a dead hydra's got lots of other uses," replied Rhionda. "Pyrohydra blood and scales are used in the production of fireball wands, and rings of fire resistance can be carved from pyrohydra bones or teeth. Likewise, you can craft a ring of warmth or a cube of frost resistance from a cryohydra's teeth or bones, and the cryohydra's blood and scales can be used to make ice storm wands. Cured cryohydra skin can be used to create boots of the north, but you end up with garish purple boots.

"Also, with the Lernaean hydra's regeneration abilities, it should come as no surprise that the creature's blood is used in making periapts of wound closure or that rings of regeneration can be carved from its bones and teeth.

"Finally, there are my favorite magical weapons, the swords. Hydra blood is often introduced to the metal of a magic sword as it's being crafted: pyrohydra blood for flametongues, Lernaean hydra blood for swords used against regenerating creatures, cryohydra blood for frostbrands. Of course, any hydra's blood will do for weapons specially crafted against reptiles."

"A particularly useful beast!" exclaimed Dreelix happily, rubbing his hands together in greed at the thought of so many magical items to be crafted from a slain hydra.
    p. 89:
    Pyrohydra blood can also be used in the creation of any type of flaming weapon, just as cryohydra blood can be used to create any sort of frost weapon.
    p. 89:
    Hydra body parts can be used as alternate material components for several spells as well. The eyes of any hydra's head can be used for the infravision spell (the darkvision spell in 3rd Edition), but it takes both eyes from a single head, and they are consumed during spellcasting. The finely-ground scales from a hydra's back can be substituted for the granite and diamond dust used in a stoneskin spell without any lessening of the spell's efficacy. Finally, because of the fast-growing properties of Lernaean hydra head regeneration, flecks of dried blood from that creature can be used as an alternate material component for the haste spell.
    p.90:
    DMs might wish to allow hydra teeth to be enchanted so that, when planted in the ground and the command word spoken, they spring up as either armed and armored warriors (as in traditional Greek mythology) or skeletons (as in the movie Jason and the Argonauts). Several excellent ideas for the creation of such magical teeth appear in Gregg Chamberlain's "The Magic of Dragon Teeth," published in Dragon Magazine #98.
    Johnathan

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast