Should I go PC only or get a PS4

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay I have a PS1 PS 2 and PS3 an XBox and a Wii as well as PCs and tablets and I'm wanting to declutter
so SHould I sell off all my consoles and upgrade my computer to gaming specs
or should I get a PS4?

does Skyrim play on PS4? any games in the genre better than Skyrim?

Okay I have a PS1 PS 2 and PS3 an XBox and a Wii as well as PCs and tablets and I'm wanting to declutter
so SHould I sell off all my consoles and upgrade my computer to gaming specs
or should I get a PS4?

does Skyrim play on PS4? any games in the genre better than Skyrim?

If skyrim is your only concern then yes sell it all and up grade your pc..

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The only reason to not get a gaming rig is if you can't afford one.

PS4 will run really awesome games, for about a month. Then, all the cool, great-graphics games will be on PC again.

Janx

Hero
unless something's changed, Skyrim is not on the PS4 and will not be. It was a PS3,360, PC title. They seldom go back to older titles and re-release them on new consoles (yes it happens, but not on most things).

since the XbOne and the PS4 are not backwards compatible, the only thing "portable" is your PSN account or Xbox Live account. Which at least means your active subscription is good on the new hardware and old at the same time.

Both PS4 and XbOne have mirrored each other in tech, services and pricing for the console and the services. Both are $400. Both do not require a paid account to use Netflix, etc. Both require a paid account to play online multiplayer. And the paid account is $5 vs. $6 a month for PS4/XbOne respectively.

The PC will cost more to get into the game. I just paid about $1900 for an Alienware 14 laptop fully loaded (warranties, etc included). It'll last, but probably not as long as the 6-10 year span of a console. But the games will have better graphics, and you can run mods, which is why the wife switched to PC gaming. it's also more of a PITA to deal with tech issues that come up on the PC, which as an IT guy, I can fix, but it invokes more work on me than my consoles ever have to support her PC.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Unless you really want a console exclusive title and are willing to buy a PS4 for it, go ahead. Anything less, upgrade your PC. A PC is getting a longer and longer lifespan. And you can buy a rather hefty piece of videocard for the price of a PS4, keep in mind that you DON'T need to buy a $1900 Alienware gaming rig, I actually would advise against that ;-)

One of the advantages with a PC is that you can get great deals for PC games over at Steam, Humble Bundle, GoG, etc. Much deeper discounts then for consoles, which eventually saves you money, a lot of money over the lifetime of a console. And you can generally keep playing your games for a long time on newer hardware, for older titles you need generally older consoles...

I've been running the same quad core CPU (Q6600) for 7+ years, for 5+ of those years it has run 16hrs/day, 7days/week. The same videocard (GTX285) for ~5.5 years. As you can see, you can do a long, long time with PC hardware, most consoles won't stand up to this kind of (ab)use...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I've done more with my PS3 for netflix than I have gaming. Netflix was actually my primary reason for keeping the PS3 about 5 years ago.
If the PS4 can't do that for you (or you just plain don't use Netflix), just upgrade your computer. But do NOT get windows 8!!! stick with Win7 or better still: XP.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
If you go for XP still, your a stubborn fool! All support has ended for XP (for commercial use), that also means that 3rd parties will stop supporting it, have a problem with a piece of hardware/software expect people to just plain not help you with your support questions (because it's not supported).

Win8 isn't so bad, I do have some questions about certain gaming situations, but haven't looked to close into the issues because I still have a Win7Pro license and see no reason to update to Win8. But I use Win8 a lot at work (and Win2012R2) and it isn't as bad as certain people claim it is. I just install Classic Shell as quickly as possible...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases