World Cup 2014

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm fascinated with the fact that so many people do not give a damn about soccer/football, but, suddenly, once every four years, they pretend to care and know what they are talking about.

It is because of the media coverage (that :):):):) is all over the place) or because it becomes an event, like the super bowl or the olympics, two other events about sports not a lot of people watches or perform (curling anyone?).
Bandwagon fanship isn't a terribly difficult phenomenon to understand. It happens with every major sporting event. People are social animals. When all the people that are actual fans become impassioned about something at the same time, the people that aren't naturally have an inclination to join them or be left out.

For my part, however, I try not to do the whole bandwagon thing. I follow most of the sports I watch with regularity, including my local professional soccer team and the US team during the non-World-Cup games.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
They still have a good chance to get through, but how many defenders do you need to have on the field before one of them covers the guy streaking towards the goal with thirty seconds left in the game?

Only one, of course. But he has to be smart enough to be in the right position and fast enough not to be outdistanced. And considering the circumstances (~30 °C, ~80% humidity) I actually can understand that one player just can't force his body to do as commanded.

It will be an interesting match come Thursday, pitching the two friends Jogi Löw and Jürgen Klinsmann against each other.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Portuguese dude simply had just a little more left in his tank than the man covering him. That's what got him open.

But that pass...oh, that pass!

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Malicious gossip has it that it will end in a draw ;) *cough* Gijón *cough*

Bah, go away with your completely unfounded conspiracy theories! How about this one: at least the German team has a good motivation not to come in first in group G. Playing France in the quarter finals, which is a probable event for the first, isn't fun. So the German team will lose the game after they have promised a Mercedes to the referee of the game Ghana vs Portugal. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, congrats to Uruguay, but Luis "The Cannibal" Suarez needs to be suspended, not just for the rest of the World Cup, but maybe for a year or so. That stuff is inexcusable.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Ok, congrats to Uruguay, but Luis "The Cannibal" Suarez needs to be suspended, not just for the rest of the World Cup, but maybe for a year or so. That stuff is inexcusable.

Yeah, as happy as I am that we won't have to play Italy, this behaviour was disgustnig. Also I'm shocked that the referee didn't even look at the bite marks.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Wasn't entirely clear to me what happened from the replays they showed, but it sure looks sketchy to reach one's head towards someone like that. Shouldn't be any leniency if there is evidence he did it though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's hard to say, but some of ESPN's close-up replays make it look like there was definite jersey movement near the shoulder...

Lindeloef

First Post

Attachments

• Bq6djZnIAAAV0bK.jpg
    Bq6djZnIAAAV0bK.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 69

Remove ads