SyFy: Dominion

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Saw the pilot.

The fight between the Archangel Michael and another angel- a Power named Furiad that looked a LOT like Magneto- were the high point for me. And that fight wasn't exactly the best choreographed one I've seen of late.

What else did we get? Lots of retreads.

Mystic tattoos that tell of a secret destiny. A hidden "Chosen One" who will save mankind. Archangel Gabriel cast as the master enemy of humankind....again. Shapechanging angels that can pass for human, undetectably. Las Vegas become quasi-Roman "Vega", the sanctuary of humanity. Human leaders who don't believe what their experts are telling them...or the evidence of their own eyes. Angels succeptible to (apparently) conventional weaponry...but who survive things far more damaging. Dark mood lighting.

Verdict: Won't be watching.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Missed the opening credits, and never saw Legion. If it was that derivative, I guess I have a list of good reasons not to.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Don't forget the other trope of doom:
Yet another attempt to make christian mythology cool by retooling it to modern youth as a comic book style TV show.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I don't know about movies about christian mythology as film, bus as literary works I found Frank Paretti's 'This present darkness' and 'piercing the darkness' to be very much to my liking. I heard they were made into movies, but never seen hyde nor hare of them.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
never seen hyde nor hare of them.

Isn't that a mixed metaphore?
Hyde was Robert Louis Stevenson's fictional creation, Dr Jeckle & Mr Hyde.
Burke and Hare were murderers from Edinburgh who supplied cadavers to the university--some still warm in spite of their... attentions.

My comments on "This Present Darkness" would violate the "no religion" rule. Author uses "pagan" and "evil" as interchangeable terms in the first chapter, must as Star Wars:The Clone Wars cartoon used "Sedition" and "Treason" as the same word in season 6.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yet another attempt to make christian mythology cool by retooling it to modern youth as a comic book style TV show.

You say that as if we don't retool Norse, Greek, Arthurian or other mythologies very often.

The whole point of Mythology is the retelling! Of course we rework it over and over again!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Wasn't the biggest fan of Legion (if I remember correctly), read the whole postapoc type setting + Angels and wasn't really looking forward to it. The pilot was interesting enough, with just about enough stuff for me to feel I hadn't wasted an hour watching it. Will continue to watch (for now).

Remove ads