[July] What are you reading?

delericho

Legend
As anticipated, the trip to Barcelona meant lots of time to read...

I'm currently reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. I'm about 250 pages in, and not overly impressed.

Yeah. Sad to say I pretty much hated this one.

Next up will be the novelisation of "Remembrance of the Daleks"...

This was okay, but a bit too close to the TV serial for me - there wasn't anything wrong with it, but it did feel a bit redundant.

"The Science of Discworld IV"

Didn't like this one - one "Science of Discworld" too many, IMO.

"Ender's Game"

This, however, was great. I already knew about the "big reveal", but it was still well done for all that.

"The Crusader Road" (Pathfinder Tales)

I enjoyed this too (finished it today). It's still game fiction, so don't expect high literature, but it was an enjoyable read - if you like Stackpole's X-Wing novels, chances are you'll like this. (Also, I particularly liked the dedication to Aaron Allston.)

Oh, and I'm gradually reading the PDF of the new "Firefly" RPG - currently most of the way through the Episode Guide.

I finished this too. The Episode Guide seemed a bit redundant - I've seen the episodes, and there are better guides online. It served double duty as something of a tutorial into the game itself, but I wasn't too keen on that approach. Still, there aren't many RPGs that actually do a good job of teaching the game, so it was nice that they tried something different.

After the episode guide it adopted a far more traditional approach, and it looks to be a good game (and a huge improvement over Serenity). Though it will take some getting used to - I'm very much used to simulationist games while this is distinctly narritivist, so I'll need to train myself to think differently.

"Solo" (William Boyd's James Bond novel)...

This is the current novel, of which I've read the first part. Thus far it seems to be a good novel but not a good Bond novel - it's very much not the way Fleming would have written it. But that should be okay - I'll just try to enjoy it for what it is.

I still have the Seventh Doctor short story to read. After that, and after Solo, I'll probably read "The Cuckoo's Calling". And the D&D 5e Basic Game, of course. :)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The third novel of "Harry Potter and the Natural 20" has started over at fanfiction.net. (It's called "Harry Potter and the Save-or-Die" but is just appended to the end of the first two volumes for convenience.) I'm very excited about it - I thought the author had lost interest.

Basically the series is about a low-level D&D wizard who ends up at Hogwarts. He's a bit of a munchkin. Very enjoyable series and totally free. Check it out!

Harry Potter and the Natural 20

I wasn't very impressed with Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" either. I thought it would be a time-travel novel, but it is really just a romance.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Continuing my superhero binge. I finished the Edgewood Series by Karen McQuestion and Christopher Nelson's The Fire in My Eyes. I didn't particularly care for either of them.

Edgewood is a teen-superhero novel; every sixteen years a small number of teenagers gets superpowers, which reach a peak and then fade. There are various Illuminati-like orders running things, which the heroes have to either join or fight. The author seems to have some blindspots, ethical and otherwise: nobody really seems that upset by a mind-control power being used to make someone fall in lust with one of the heroes. Nor do any of the authorities in the novel seem to take it seriously when a teenager is kept locked up by her (obviously insane) parent. The hierarchy of Illuminati-like groups doesn't make sense, the actions of security forces (like the Secret Service) requires much suspension of disbelief...

However I just finished K.M. Johnson-Weider's West Pacific Supers:Rising Tide and really enjoyed it. The conceit is that superhero teams are like professional athletes and media celebrities: image branding, PR and endorsements are all huge parts of their lives. There is a lot of serious material about marriage and relationships, aging, respect, team dynamics and so on, but also a lot of humor. Well rounded characters that I found I cared about. There's a sequel that I'm just starting (West Pacific Supers:Victory at Any Cost).

Edgewood was pretty bad, I'd agree. Not buying for my Library.

West pacific sounds a bit like the Tiger and Bunny manga. You should give them a look.

Richards

Legend
I just finished Robert Sawyer's Red Planet Blues, a hard-boiled detective novel in the style of Sam Spade - that takes place on Mars.

I'm now reading Utopia by Lincoln Child, about a high-tech amusement park being overtaken by terrorists. It's kind of got a "Westworld" vibe to it, not surprisingly.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
I read She, King Solomon's Mines, and Allan Quartermain (not People of the Mist) on vacation, and Operation Napoleon by Arnaldur Indridason when I got home, and then stalled out. I've been reading Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force, which is a little bit not smart because I was just psyching myself up to get the collected TPBs (two volumes, #1 comes out in a few weeks) but having read the issues so recently I won't be very excited and will probably end up getting something else boring and useful like a mattock instead. :erm:

However, I broke down and bought a new book today - the 31st Years Best SF, which I absolutely do not feel bad about and am desperately in the mood for, so I'll start that tonight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases