D&D 5E The Multiverse is back....

Hussar

Legend
First off, Remathilis. Re Ma Thil Is. Remy if you want to shorten it :)

Now, I don't see much different from what we have and what you want. Always assume "Sages believed" and such things are right up there with Rule 0 in the "things we shouldn't have to spell out"

Really, there is little difference between "Kobolds are small reptilian humanoids that worship dragons" and "Kobolds are small reptilian humanoids that some say worship dragons." Any DM worth his salt shouldn't need that spelled out.

Does playing through Die Vecna Die count? If so, I did with my namesake PC.

Apologies for the misspell. Thumb typing on my phone. :D Yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :p

Yes, there is a significant difference. In the first case, that becomes true for all subsequent publications. All later publications will have dragon worshipping kobolds and you will very rarely see anything related to kobolds that isn't also related to dragons. Makes sense I suppose - makes it easier to sell more books. If you want the full story of kobolds, you also have to buy this book about dragons. Comic books have done it for years.

In the second case, subsequent publications might have dragon worshipping kobolds, or they might not. There is no established canon, so, they can do whatever they want.

Does that make sense?

So, you've played for how many years, and had the Eye and Hand of Vecna appear once. I'm still going to stand by this. If they dropped them both from the DMG, no one would notice.

Remathilis

Legend
So, you've played for how many years, and had the Eye and Hand of Vecna appear once. I'm still going to stand by this. If they dropped them both from the DMG, no one would notice.

Well, its about on par with the number of times I've fought a bronze dragon or found a holy avenger. Should those be dropped as well?

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION], [MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION] - I've referred you to the two leading journals in contemporary Engish-language moral and political philosophy: Ethics and Philosophy and Public Affairs. If you want to see what the methods look like, download any article from a recent issue and read it!

Facile remarks about burdens of proof and "having set a high bar" are just that - facile. If I said the mainstream view in geology is that the earth is over 4 billion years old, or that the mainstream view in contmporary biology is that speciation is the result of natural selection rather than divine intervention, you wouldn't expect me to cite anything. These things are obviously true, known to anyone with a passing familiarity with the disciplines. Well, I have more than a passing familiarity with contemporary anaytic moral philosophy. I publish in the field, I know some of the leading figures, I supervise students in the field and send them to be examined by others with knowledge of what those others regard as mainstream or deviant, etc. In short, I know what my peers (and betters) think about their discipline.

Likewise remarks about "goal-post shifting" are misplaced - I have the whole time been talking about philosophers, using such labels as "contemporary English-speaking moral philosophy" and "contemporary analytic moral philosophy" - these are co-referring expressions, and are intended to exclude non-analytic philosophers (primarily existentialists, phenomenologists and other heirs of the Hegelian/post-Hegelian tradition).

The reasons among analytic philosophers for favouring objectivism are nothing to do with mysticism or metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. They are the features of moral language and discourse that I've pointed to: that there are no differences in the logic of argumentation, in truth and falsehood predication, in epistemic claims, etc between moral and evaluative predication and descriptive predication. [MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION], in his response to those examples, demonstrates a tremendous ignorance of the philosophy of predication. In saying, for instance, that "the use of "and" is a conjunction, used to link two ideas together (which need not necessarily be related)" completely misses the point that "and" is (or is at least typically taken to be) a truth-conditional conjunction, and hence the way it "links two ideas together" is by taking their truth-conditions as inputs. Which implies that moral sentences have truth conditions that can be taken as inputs. Alzrius, if you have an unpublished treatment of "and" that allows for relativistic truth conditions in a technically adequate way, by all means send it to me!

I've pointed to some of the methods that objectivists identify as pathways to objective moral truth: reason, intuition, investigating human nature, etc. I haven't tried to prove any actual moral truth, but if you want to see some philosophers actualy using these methods I can point you to John Rawls's A Theory of Justice (purporting to derive some objective moral truths from facts about human nature in combination with intuition), the same author's Law of Peoples (purporting to derive some objectve moral truths from facts about history, primarily the resolution of the wars of religion), Michael Smith's The Moral Problem (using the well-known approach to analysing response-dependent predication to analyse moral predication, and thereby to come up with a novel theory of the basis for its objective truth), John Finnis's Natural Law and Natural Rights (purporting to derive objective moral truths in the manner of the Catholic natural law tradition), Joseph Raz's The Morality of Freedom (presenting a theory of value pluralism, and of natural rights and duties, grounded in an Arisotelian conception of human nature and human interests) and Frances Kamm's contribution to Jamieson's Singer and His Critics (using a method of intuitions with a broadly Kantian framework).

In good faith I've pointed you both to the basic views in the literature, the basic moves, the difficulties etc. I've offered to circulate work by PM and neither of you has taken up that offer. As far as I can tell neither of you is familiar with any of the relevant authors in the field eg Mark van Roojen, Terrence Horgan, Mark Timmons, Simon Blackburn, Alan Gibbard, Bob Hale, Stephen Barker, John MacFarlane, etc.

If you don't care about that stuff, that's fine. Hours in the day are limited for all of us! But you wanted to know why I think that Planescape's relativist metaphysics is incoherent, and from my point of view I have more than answered that question. As I said some hundreds of posts upthread, there are interesting approaches to relativistic/subjectivist moral discourse, which can try and handle some of the problems I've articulated, but Planescape does not engage with any of them.

Nor do [MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION]'s posts above. For instance, you can't possibly resolve the hypocrisy problem implicit in a relativist's defence of warfare against Germany or IS by saying "you can recognize that everyone will have a value system that is different from yours, while still having values that you hold to be personally unchanging . . . Tony Abbott can believe whatever he wants, but that by itself doesn't mean that his beliefs are more valid than anyone else's."

This is so underdeveloped as an argument that's it a little hard to know where to start, but here are some ways in: the word "valid" in the last sentence is undefined, but seems to be being used as a synonym for "truth". Hence what is being said is that Abbott's beliefs are no truer than those of IS. Which is odd in itself, because the two are in contradiction (eg Abbott believes IS are evil, IS believe IS are good, it's not clear that both beliefs can be true given that each entails the negation of the other). Furthermore, if IS's beliefs are as true as Abbott's, then Abbott's justification for attacking IS seems to utterly fail - all he is doing is projecting his power onto them, which means he is committing the very crime he claims that they are committing when he jsutifies attacking them! (This is the hypocrisy problem.) The issue of "values that are personally unchanging" is also irrelevant and is not something I have been talking about. Abbott may have believed all his life that IS is evil, and vice versa. The duration and firmness of conviction doesn't change the fact that, if relativism/subjectivism is true, then in attacking IS Abbott is apparently acting on merely personal convictions, and hence is no better off than IS is (this is the hypocrisy problem recurring).

Bertrand Russell, in his essays on the significance of the compossibility or non-compossibility of human desires (for a summary treatment, I recommend Alan Ryan's Bertrand Russell: A political life), tries to give an account, on a non-moral objectivist basis, of an asymmetry between various moral attitudes such that acting on certain attitudes doesn't enliven the hypocrisy objection. It might be interesting to explore this in Planescape, but I think you'd have to make some changes. Planescape doesn't generally emphasise compromise and co-existence.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Parmandur said:
Both "morality has some objective character" and "morality has no objective character" are positive assertions.

Again, this is flatly incorrect. The latter is a negative assertion, hence why it's saying that something is not true.

pemerton said:
I've referred you to the two leading journals in contemporary Engish-language moral and political philosophy: Ethics and Philosophy and Public Affairs. If you want to see what the methods look like, download any article from a recent issue and read it!

Again, you fail to grasp the futility of an "appeal to authority" statement; that's not even withstanding the issue of the rhetorical futility inherent in saying "go read something here, and you'll find something or other that agrees with me." That doesn't come close to the standards of what constitutes a debate.

pemerton said:
Facile remarks about burdens of proof and "having set a high bar" are just that - facile.

That you've been reduced to name-calling suggests otherwise.

pemerton said:
If I said the mainstream view in geology is that the earth is over 4 billion years old, or that the mainstream view in contmporary biology is that speciation is the result of natural selection rather than divine intervention, you wouldn't expect me to cite anything.

Hence one of the many, many differences between the agreed-upon nature of objective reality, versus the proposition of a so-called objective truth.

pemerton said:
These things are obviously true, known to anyone with a passing familiarity with the disciplines. Well, I have more than a passing familiarity with contemporary anaytic moral philosophy. I publish in the field, I know some of the leading figures, I supervise students in the field and send them to be examined by others with knowledge of what those others regard as mainstream or deviant, etc. In short, I know what my peers (and betters) think about their discipline.

Again, waving supposed credentials fails to live up to the "show, don't tell" rule of presenting supporting evidence in support of your claim. (Though honestly, the whole idea of introducing expert testimony into the inherently-personal realm of moral philosophy - due to it being entirely subjective and all - has always struck me as being, well...facile, to use your turn of phrase.)

pemerton said:
Likewise remarks about "goal-post shifting" are misplaced - I have the whole time been talking about philosophers, using such labels as "contemporary English-speaking moral philosophy" and "contemporary analytic moral philosophy" - these are co-referring expressions, and are intended to exclude non-analytic philosophers (primarily existentialists, phenomenologists and other heirs of the Hegelian/post-Hegelian tradition).

To put it another way, you're referencing the works of others with only vague specificity, refusing to provide either quotes regarding what you mean or citations to reference them (beyond a hand-wave towards some titles in general), and then expect that when people point out that you're being vague, that must mean that they know less than you do. That's not debating a point, that's obfuscating one.

pemerton said:
The reasons among analytic philosophers for favouring objectivism are nothing to do with mysticism or metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. They are the features of moral language and discourse that I've pointed to: that there are no differences in the logic of argumentation, in truth and falsehood predication, in epistemic claims, etc between moral and evaluative predication and descriptive predication.

Except that it can easily be demonstrated that there are differences between descriptive predication and moral predication. The former can be used to discuss either the inherently subjective nature of morality, or the subjective or objective nature of reality; the latter is only able to discuss the subjective nature of morality. The idea that there's no differences between them is preposterous.

pemerton said:
Alzrius, in his response to those examples, demonstrates a tremendous ignorance of the philosophy of predication. In saying, for instance, that "the use of "and" is a conjunction, used to link two ideas together (which need not necessarily be related)" completely misses the point that "and" is (or is at least typically taken to be) a truth-conditional conjunction, and hence the way it "links two ideas together" is by taking their truth-conditions as inputs. Which implies that moral sentences have truth conditions that can be taken as inputs. Alzrius, if you have an unpublished treatment of "and" that allows for relativistic truth conditions in a technically adequate way, by all means send it to me!

Leaving aside that having to cast insulting terms like "tremendous ignorance" betrays the fact that you're struggling to come up with a counter-point, what you quoted does not at all "miss the point" that you raised - rather, it deftly refutes it. The nature of the conjunctive "and" here does not at all necessitate that it be truth-conditional; that's a claim so outlandish that it's hard to take seriously. Simply because you can link two ideas together does not mean that they'll therefore both need to be true, which necessarily undercuts the nature of your point that these truth conditions can be taken as inputs. Consider that being sent to you, pemerton.

pemerton said:
I've pointed to some of the methods that objectivists identify as pathways to objective moral truth: reason, intuition, investigating human nature, etc. I haven't tried to prove any actual moral truth, but if you want to see some philosophers actualy using these methods I can point you to John Rawls's A Theory of Justice (purporting to derive some objective moral truths from facts about human nature in combination with intuition), the same author's Law of Peoples (purporting to derive some objectve moral truths from facts about history, primarily the resolution of the wars of religion), Michael Smith's The Moral Problem (using the well-known approach to analysing response-dependent predication to analyse moral predication, and thereby to come up with a novel theory of the basis for its objective truth), John Finnis's Natural Law and Natural Rights (purporting to derive objective moral truths in the manner of the Catholic natural law tradition), Joseph Raz's The Morality of Freedom (presenting a theory of value pluralism, and of natural rights and duties, grounded in an Arisotelian conception of human nature and human interests) and Frances Kamm's contribution to Jamieson's Singer and His Critics (using a method of intuitions with a broadly Kantian framework).

See above; name-dropping without any further citations (let alone providing a proper quote for discussion and analysis) does not an argument make. Saying "go read the books that (I purport) agree with me" is something that's done when you can't make the points you want to make.

pemerton said:
In good faith I've pointed you both to the basic views in the literature, the basic moves, the difficulties etc. I've offered to circulate work by PM and neither of you has taken up that offer. As far as I can tell neither of you is familiar with any of the relevant authors in the field eg Mark van Roojen, Terrence Horgan, Mark Timmons, Simon Blackburn, Alan Gibbard, Bob Hale, Stephen Barker, John MacFarlane, etc.

Saying that this is a good-faith argument is hypocritical in the extreme here, since all you're doing is calling out names and saying "these guys support me! Honest!" As far as I can tell, you're completely unfamiliar with the idea that you have a higher burden of proof to live up to if you want to actually appeal to authority.

pemerton said:
If you don't care about that stuff, that's fine. Hours in the day are limited for all of us! But you wanted to know why I think that Planescape's relativist metaphysics is incoherent, and from my point of view I have more than answered that question. As I said some hundreds of posts upthread, there are interesting approaches to relativistic/subjectivist moral discourse, which can try and handle some of the problems I've articulated, but Planescape does not engage with any of them.

Just so long as you're willing to accept that it's valid that from the point of view of others, you haven't answered that question at all.

pemerton said:
Nor do Alzrius's posts above.

Except that this is self-evidently not the case, as per my posts above.

pemerton said:
For instance, you can't possibly resolve the hypocrisy problem implicit in a relativist's defence of warfare against Germany or IS by saying "you can recognize that everyone will have a value system that is different from yours, while still having values that you hold to be personally unchanging . . . Tony Abbott can believe whatever he wants, but that by itself doesn't mean that his beliefs are more valid than anyone else's."

Again, despite your saying that that can't be so, it clearly is, since it has been resolved.

pemerton said:
This is so underdeveloped as an argument that's it a little hard to know where to start, but here are some ways in: the word "valid" in the last sentence is undefined, but seems to be being used as a synonym for "truth". Hence what is being said is that Abbott's beliefs are no truer than those of IS. Which is odd in itself, because the two are in contradiction (eg Abbott believes IS are evil, IS believe IS are good, it's not clear that both beliefs can be true given that each entails the negation of the other). Furthermore, if IS's beliefs are as true as Abbott's, then Abbott's justification for attacking IS seems to utterly fail - all he is doing is projecting his power onto them, which means he is committing the very crime he claims that they are committing when he jsutifies attacking them! (This is the hypocrisy problem.) The issue of "values that are personally unchanging" is also irrelevant and is not something I have been talking about. Abbott may have believed all his life that IS is evil, and vice versa. The duration and firmness of conviction doesn't change the fact that, if relativism/subjectivism is true, then in attacking IS Abbott is apparently acting on merely personal convictions, and hence is no better off than IS is (this is the hypocrisy problem recurring).

It's actually a powerfully developed argument, which is why you're having a hard time trying to knock it down. That said, here's how the refutations you do make can be shown to be invalid (that is, not being able to withstand logical scrutiny): The fact that Abbott's beliefs are no truer than those of IS is not odd at all, because the two being in contradiction is the indicator that neither has any greater degree of truth than the other - both are personal beliefs, and so have no objective metric by which their "truth" can be judged. Both beliefs can be equally "true" at the same time because they're held by different individuals, none of whom have any empirical methodology (or credentials, for that matter) in how they would pass judgment on the beliefs of others. Given that Abbott's justifications are thus no truer than anyone else's, then it makes it clear that all he is doing is projecting his power onto them - hence the definition of wars as being struggles of military power, rather than a contest of opposing ideologies (which further would lead to the idea that those who win wars are those with the truer morality, which is clearly an objective falsehood). Of course, this has nothing whatsoever to do with "committing the very crime he claims they are committing," since that's a conflation of a legal argument with a moral argument. As such, Abbott's attacking IS is indeed his acting on personal conviction - that's not hypocritical because he's acting in accordance with his own beliefs, while recognizing that the beliefs of others are different from his own, even if they have no greater weight insofar as how "true" they may be.

pemerton said:
Bertrand Russell, in his essays on the significance of the compossibility or non-compossibility of human desires (for a summary treatment, I recommend Alan Ryan's Bertrand Russell: A political life), tries to give an account, on a non-moral objectivist basis, of an asymmetry between various moral attitudes such that acting on certain attitudes doesn't enliven the hypocrisy objection. It might be interesting to explore this in Planescape, but I think you'd have to make some changes. Planescape doesn't generally emphasise compromise and co-existence.

More reference-less name-dropping. Try an experiment in your next post - don't mention anyone else's work unless you can quote it directly and cite the source.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION], I don't know what you're trying to prove, but you don't seem to have understood my posts very clearly.

First, you complain about a lack of citations. I have offered multiple works. Do you want page numbers for A Theory of Justice? Look up "reflective equilibrium" in the index. Do you want to read Raz's account of the interest theory of rights? From memory, it's in chapter 8 of The Morality of Freedom. These are actual examples of actual moral argumentation by leading contemporary figures who regard morality as objective.

Do you want to read a defence of non-objective morality? Then read Blackburn's Spreading the Word and Ruling Passions. Do you want to read a devastating critique of Blackburn? Then read Bob Hale's essay "‘The Compleat Projectivist’, The Philosophical Quarterly 36 (1986): 65–84. (This doesn't deal with Ruling Passions, which is a more recent work, but Hale's objections are easily extended to cover Blackburn's later work - if you PM me I can send you my relevant unpublished work.)

If you want to read the most sophisticated version of moral anti-objectivism out there, I recommend a paper I've already cited upthread: Stephen Barker, "Is Value Content a Component of Conventional Implicature?", Analysis 60 (2000): 268–79.

You seem strangely obsessed with quotes, as if pages of argument can be boiled down to a bumper sticker. For reasons of copyright, among others, I can't cut and paste 12 pages from Analysis, 20 from The Philosophical Quarterly and 300+ from Harvard or Oxford University Press. But do you really think I'm lying about the contents of these works? From my point of view, you're in the same situation as someone who, when told that they can learn about natural selection in Darwin's Origin of Species or Dawkins's The Blind Watchmakr asks for a quote to prove the point!

Moving from citations to some of the assertions that you make: You might regard your refutation as "deft". I can tell you that it probably wouldn't pass in an undergraduate essay. You are getting hung up on matters of "burden of proof" that have no relevance to the discussion. For instance, you claim that you don't have to prove anything because you are simply denying a positive assertion, namely, that morality is objective. Well, I can play that game too, if I want: I can deny that morality is subjective, thereby - by your logic - putting the burden on you to prove that it is subjective!

There are some arguments where burden of proof matters, but this is not one of them. You are advancing a theory of the semantics of moral discourse and the metaphysics of morals. Your theory is as affirmative as that of any objectivist. If you want anyone to take it seriously, you have to provide reasons for it. That's what Blackburn, Gibbard, and their predecessors such as Russell, Ayer, and Hume do. Even the existentialists, who are less interested in technical argumentation than analytic philosophers, give reasons for thinking that there are no objective criteria for value. (I mean, Being and Nothingness is notorious for its length. What do you think Sartre is doing in all those pages, if he doesn't feel the need to show that his anti-objectivist conception of value is correct?)

Moving onto your actual claim to have refuted me: you don't even seem to know what you're refuting. You seem to think you are providing reasons why morality is not objective - though I haven't actually noticed any (eg you haven't pointed to any facts of usage, any metaphysical considerations, etc - I think you are gesturing at an argument to best explanation, but you are not engaging with any of the relevant data points that such an argument would have to deal with). But in any event, I have not asserted that morality is objective. Nor have I denied that it is. As I stated a long way upthread, I am not interested in having that argument on this board (and, as I have also stated, I am happy to circulate my relevant work by PM if you are interested).

All I have done is to point out that (i) the mainstream view among analytic moral philosophers is that morality is objective, (ii) there are certain reasons for that view, draw mostly from considerations of usage of the sort I have pointed to, (iii) objectivist moral philosophies aren't just hand waving, but rather have theories of epistemic acces to moral truth, and of methodology in moral reasoning, and (iv) relativist/subjectivist views face a non-trivial challenge that I have labelled the hypocrisy objection.

You haven't given any reason to doubt (i) - for instance, you haven't identified any mainstream analytic moral philosophers who are anti-objectivist. I believe that's because you don't know of any. For instance, my guess is that you've never read Simon Blackburn or Allan Gibbard or Terrence Horgan or Mark Timmons, and so don't recognise them as leading moral anti-objectivists. (And, for that reason, as opponents of the mainstream view.)

I would also point out that, contrary to what you say in your post, the question of whether a certain view is mainstream among a group of academics is an objective matter of fact, whether the academics are philosophers or geologists.

You have not seriously enaged with (ii). For instance, you haven't addressed the difference between falsehood predication in the context of first-person pronouns (which are subjective in meaning) and in the context of moral argument. And your claim that it is "outlandish" to claim that "and" is a truth-conditional operator - a view which has been mainstream at least since Frege - suggests that you've not taken an introductory course in either logic or philosophy of language.

You have not engaged at all with (iii). For instance, you haven't given any reason to think that moral truths can't be derived from facts about human nature (for instance, what is your argument against the claim that going to school rather than working as a bonded labourer in a carpet factory does not, in the typical case, give a child an objectively more flourishing life?).

And in your response to (iv) you concede that waging a war to impose a moral view is no different from mere power projection. But you don't seem to recognise that that appears to render it impossible to distinguish the conduct of the Union from the Confederacy in the US Civil War, or to distinguish the conduct of the Allies from the Germans in the Second World War. Each side, on your account, was as justified as the other - ie fully justified by its own lights but not justified in any genuine sense. Are you sure you want to bite that bullet? Nearly all human relationships involving power - within families, within communities, within and between nations - are structured on the premise that there is a difference between the mere exercise of power and the justified exercise of power. This is what is taken to distinguish (say) police from bank robbers, executioners from murderers, and - in the case of present-day Iraq - the US and Australian soldiers who are there from their IS counterparts.

Nietzsche, and some who follow him, are prepared to deny these distinctions, but they recognise that this is radical revisionism. I'm not sure you've really given the issues the same depth of thought.

Hussar

Legend
Well, its about on par with the number of times I've fought a bronze dragon or found a holy avenger. Should those be dropped as well?

I'm fairly confident that both bronze dragons and holy avengers have seen far, far more use in play than the hand and eye of Vecna.

Btw Rem, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for the brevity and concise nature of you comments. :)

Last edited:

Evenglare

Adventurer
This thread has 103 pages for me. I expected to come in here seeing obnoxiously long posts (not that the posts themselves are bad but the length of the posts are) and replies dissecting those posts. I was not disappointed.

BenK

First Post
pemerton - I did a philosophy major as an undergraduate, but of course that leaves me with nothing more than a smattering. I've just skimmed this epic thread, but I've found your last few posts intriguing - has Rawls somehow overcome this "Is / Ought" divide? (Sorry if you've already addressed this, but the thread is just too long to trawl. Would you mind throwing off a sentence or so summary?)

Alzurius - I'm trying to make sense of the paragraph starting 'It's actually a powerfully developed argument', but I'm having trouble making headway. If A says of B 'What they are doing is wrong' and B say 'We are not doing wrong' I can see two possibilities:

1. The A's claim that B's actions have the property of being wrong is correct, and therefore B's claim that their actions do not have the property of being wrong is incorrect;

2. B's claim that their actions do not have the property of being wrong is correct, and therefore the A's claim that their actions do have the property of being wrong is incorrect.

In the case of the second possibility obtaining - B's actions having no property of being wrong - it could be that some actions do have the property of being wrong, and B's actions do not happen to have that property, or it could be that no such property exists at all (in which case all claims that any action 'is wrong' are simply false.)

Obviously, perceptions of right and wrong - as are all perceptions by definition - are subjective. But if someone claims that something _is_ right or wrong, the claim is either true or it isn't. If 'right' and 'wrong' aren't properties that actually exist, then claiming some action or state of affairs have those properties is simply an error, no?

Edited to remove politics - Lwaxy

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, for me, when someone gets to the point of telling me to go read academic journals to continue a casual message-board debate, I take it as a simple admission that the counterpoint cannot possibly be understood simply by a person with no prior specialization, and so the "functional" part comes into play. A moral code only accessible to obscure specialists and deadened with jargon isn't of much functional use (at the very least, you get the tl;dr reactions folks in the thread are articulating). So it doesn't actually help people in general to answer moral questions. Which means that people trying to answer moral questions in the Real World still must struggle with functional subjectivity. Which is the kind of mindset that PS is made to evoke. And so that mindset is not unthinkably alien, even to those who believe in some objectively real morality.

pemerton said:
For instance, you haven't given any reason to think that moral truths can't be derived from facts about human nature (for instance, what is your argument against the claim that going to school rather than working as a bonded labourer in a carpet factory does not, in the typical case, give a child an objectively more flourishing life?).

Just teasing this out (because it seems to describe the counterpoint): you could dispute this claim in a lot of ways.
  • The idea that a personally flourishing life is a moral good is not objectively true. It hinges on culturally-bound values (for instance, the primacy of the individual and the value of individual education). For instance, one could easily conceive of a conflicting definition of moral good that was family-focused (as the biological understanding of altruism may lead you to), and thus moral good would be measured based on how that child can contribute to the improvement of the family. Making carpets for people in exchange for food and board certainly could contribute to the economic well-being of the family (by taking away an expense, namely, the upkeep of the child), and thus would be a higher moral good than attending school, however miserable that child is.
  • The definition of "flourishing" is subjective. It seems to hinge on personal experience, and therefore cannot be determined from the outside. If the child, for instance, might be quite happy and content as a bonded laborer in a carpet factory until its untimely death, and it might be miserable and incapable and unhappy at school, which would make the bonded labor "objectively more flourishing" than the education. Furthermore, it cannot be known which situation will happen before the experience occurs, so it's impossible to ascribe an "ought" to any of the individual courses of action.
  • A moral code that identifies the "typical case" as determining the "ought" will be actually incorrect whenever the case is not typical, and thus not produce moral good at all. Furthermore, it presumes knowledge of what a "typical case" is or could be, which is unknowable without perfect knowledge of every human's inner thoughts (to determine what "flourishing" is). For instance, what populations are sampled and how often to determine what a "typical case" is?
  • A moral code that rests on "facts about human nature" is a castle built on sand, biologically speaking, as "human nature" itself is not only intensely individual at the genetic level, but also in constant flux both genetically and evolutionarily. Such a moral code would have to, for instance, dub milk products as a moral evil after childhood (given that they are poison to something like 70% of humanity at this point, it would certainly not lead to flourishing in the typical case). If there were some historical accident that changed "human nature," (a massive asteroid falls into Asia and wipes out most of humanity that is lactose intolerant) the moral code would have to be promptly reversed.

A PS game invites you to consider competing moral perspectives. A PS game using that hypothetical child as an adventure hook (say, sacrificed to an underworld god, or sent to an academy for magic) would be, in part, asking the PC's to determine what they believe ought to be done here. A Bleaker might say that the sacrifice to the underworld god would be better, because at least the kid wouldn't be engaging in some ultimately pointless study of magic for all of its pointless life. A Sensate might say that the academy is better, because magical research will lead to more experiences and vistas of knowledge than being dead will. An Anarchist might propose A Third Solution: kidnap the child, raise it in an Anarchist orphanage, and tell the church of the underworld god and the academy of magic each that the other ran away with the kid and hope these structures tear each other apart while the kid gets the freedom to determine their own path in life without the influence of these power-mongers. In play, any one of them may be proven "right" based on their ability to resolve the story to the satisfaction of their beliefs. If the Bleaker fights off the magic-teachers and witnesses the kid's sacrifice, perhaps the family begins to abandon even this worship as pointless, and the academy dismantles as it no longer sees any value in understanding a multiverse where children with potential are sacrificed to cruel gods. If the Sensate fights off the death-cult, the kid goes on to discover new colors and sensations and shares them at the Sensorium and the experience of the multiverse increases profoundly. If the Anarchist gets her way and gets them to fight each other, maybe the kid comes back as a teenager to defy the Anarchist orthodoxy, and a little tear of pride forms in the Anarchist's eye as she appreciates a kid who "gets it."

tl;dr: it's fun to let players come up with their own moral codes, and that's part of the fun PS brings to D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases