Sagiro's Story Hour: Now That It's Over

Fimmtiu

First Post
I just finished reading the finished Story Hour, and it's a very bittersweet thing. I've been reading (and re-reading) this story in its incomplete state for over a decade now, and it's been an endless font of inspiration for my own game and a fantastic story in its own right. Now it's over, and there won't be any more updates. I'm both happy and nostalgically sad.

Sagiro, I can't congratulate you enough for getting to the end of such a huge Story Hour. When I start considering how much work you must have put into this story over the years -- the weekly hours of preparation, the actual gameplay, and then all the subsequent write-ups -- my mind boggles. Your dedication to telling this story is really remarkable, and we've all benefited immensely from it. A simple "Thank you!" seems inadequate recompense for that much work over so many years, all for free, but it will have to do -- at least until the books come out! I can say unequivocally that reading your Story Hour has made me a better DM, not just because it's a wealth of material to adapt and borrow from, but because it stretched the boundaries of how awesome I thought a game could be, and gave me a new high bar to aim for.

Major kudos to the players as well, for creating the well-realized and compelling characters that we've gotten to know over all this time. It must have been hard to let them go after so many years of playing them.

And I can't possibly go without thanking StevenAC for his excellent PDFs; I've spent many a commute and trip reading them on my laptop or phone. They're clearly a labour of love, and a big improvement over the forum-reading experience.

I must admit that I was pretty baffled at first by the decision to end the story immediately after the climax, and was really wishing for more of a denouement. But the more I think about it, the more I agree it was a good move, story-wise. Wouldn't mind hearing what the players imagine happened to their characters afterwards, though; Piratecat's already chimed in on that topic, and it was neat to hear how he saw Dranko ending up.

Kestrel

Explorer
(I posted this in the other thread and then saw this one)

I've been reading this for years, since I first came here. Thank you Sagiro and Abernathy's Company. I have taken more inspiration from this for my own game than any other source. Whenever I get stuck for ideas or feeling a little burned out, I read a few posts and I'm jazzed to run again. Its a shining example of what a game can be.

Thank you so much for the story.

Brian

(And I will definitely be buying the novels)

KidCthulhu

First Post
It's like he was a pusher

I still miss the high Sagiro's game gave me. I miss Ernie. I miss Morningstar and Avavis and Kibbe and Grey Wolf and what'shisname. It's like a family I had and lost. Damn you Sagiro for being so good!

Fimmtiu

First Post
Also just noticed that "Ivellios" is one of the sample elven names in the D&D 5E Basic Rules PDF. Coincidence, or a clever fan?

andreww

First Post
This was a great ending to an amazing story. I have read and re-read these tales several times over the years and they have never failed to impress. Everyone involved deserves all the praise heaped on them for it, amazing stuff.

Is there any chance we could see the stat block for the weakened Adversary?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
This was a great ending to an amazing story. I have read and re-read these tales several times over the years and they have never failed to impress. Everyone involved deserves all the praise heaped on them for it, amazing stuff.

Is there any chance we could see the stat block for the weakened Adversary?
Glad you enjoyed the story! Here's the stat block you asked for. Keep in mind that I didn't always play optimally; I figured I could handwave sub-par decision-making on the Adversary's part as a side-effect of his confusion at having been made mortal.

The Adversary, Named
Hit Dice: 50d8+750 (1042 hp)
Initiative: +19 (Dex)
Speed: 100’ or Fly 200’ (perfect) or Blink
Armor Class: 44 (+15 dex, -2 size, +10 deflection, +11 profane)
Attack: Black Sword of the Adversary, +40/+35/+30/+25 melee
Damage: 4d10+30
Space/Reach: 15'/15’
Grapple: +60
Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities (see below)

Saves: Fort +35, Ref +35, Will+35

Abilities: Str 50, Dex 40, Con 40, Int 40, Wis 40, Cha 40

Abomination Traits: SR 28, DR 25/+6, Electricity Resist 20, Immune to: Cold, Petrification, Polymorph, Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Poison. Shakes off enemy spells with a duration on its next turn.

God’s Reality: 1/round, as a free action, the Adversary may change the state of the combat in some significant way, typically by undoing a negative effect on himself or an ally.

Always Active: True Seeing, Blindsight, and 1000’ telepathy

Spell-like Abilities, quickened 1/round: At Will: superb dispelling, chain fireblood (20d6,10d6) cone of essence (15d6), disintegrate (40d6) (DC 37)
3/day: miracle, maze. Cast as a 27th level caster, DC 31+spell level.

Everett

First Post
I still wonder what his Name was. Sagiro, did you give any thought to whether his Name could be translated into something comprehensible to mortals?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases