D&D 5E Predictions about the true 5e coming!! Hurry and predict and we will see if they are true!

Evenglare

Adventurer
After playing basic characters in the starter set I started thinking about where the game will go, in terms of feats moreso than other things. But the magic system completely opened my eyes to an MP system (which is actually what this new vancian system is in my eyes, just MP/level spells). Anyway my prediction, having not really read any of the playtest stuff.

1. Improved initiative will add your proficiency bonus.

2. Attacks of opportunity will be expanded on in the tactical play module (in accordance to drinking potions, casting spell in melee etc etc).

3. I'd assume magic items would be much more freeform since they aren't integral to the fundamental aspects of the game.

Those are the big standouts that I fully expect to be in the complete/advanced/whatever system.

no class will have less then d6hd (say good buy to d4's sorcerer)

Bard I think will keep d6, but I agree good odds on d10 monk

my question is will barbarians keep the d12?

I think improved Initative will do a lot more then add prof to initative, or just wont be there... remember big complex feats

If Rogues are shifted up to a D8, I don’t see why Bards shouldn’t be also. Not sure on the arguments for other Classes, but I could see the argument that Monks are basically just warriors like Fighters too. I guess it’ll all come down to ‘BALANCE!’ again…

I was pleased to see that the Player’s Handbook will allow Humans not to have the nonsense +1 universal Ability bonus though…:)

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
There will be a feat (or feats) that allows a character to become proficient in additional saves.

Thaumaturge.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
And Verily, the Feat Tax was Levied Upon the Fighters of the Lande.

(Better than that not existing though, so I hope you're right!)
Showing my ignorance, here, but until a month ago I have been absent from these boards for a few years. Could someone please explain/define "feat tax". Thanks

A feat tax is an informal term for a feat which provides a static bonus to a frequently used character statistic, particularly attack rolls or defense, that may otherwise scale at an unsatisfactory rate as the character gains levels. Consequently, some players consider it highly disadvantageous not to take the feat.

The controversy over such feats stems from the opinion among some players that the feats were introduced in later rulebooks as fixes to game imbalances, especially math holes, in earlier rulebooks. The feats are thus viewed by some players as required in order to remain at the perceived baseline at higher levels. This limits the opportunities to choose feats that may be less powerful but more interesting than a static bonus.

Dungeon masters who share this opinion may institute house rules to grant such feats for free, or ban them from play, or a combination of the two. Others believe math holes can be overcome with player strategy and leader roles instead of feats.

Feats considered by some to be feat taxes include:

Weapon attack bonus feats, such as Light Blade Expertise
Implement attack bonus feats, such as Rod Expertise
Defense bonus feats, such as Improved Defenses
Melee Training, for melee based classes without Strength as a key ability
Fourth edition designer Robert J. Schwalb discussed the issue of feat taxes, and expressed a desire to avoid them in Dungeons & Dragons Next.[1]

From the 4E wiki

basically a feat you have to take to keep up (mechanically) or would be (mechanically) very foolish not too.

EDIT: link [1] is gone but here it is on wayback machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20130306.../dndnext/blog/2012/06/13/feat_taxes_and_bloat

Last edited:

andreww

First Post
And Verily, the Feat Tax was Levied Upon the Fighters of the Lande.

(Better than that not existing though, so I hope you're right!)
I would count it more as a tax on rogues to be honest. I expect to see a lot of unpleasant effects targeting Con and Wisdom saves with Dex being largely direct damage. Fighters get Con save proficiency, Wizard and Cleric get Wisdom, Rogues are out in the cold with only Dex as a relevant save.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases