Adversary party

wwanno

First Post
Ok I am a DM. I am not a rule lawyer, I do not "study" the rules in order to create the perfect NPC. But my players do. And now I want to hit them hard with the SAME THEIR :):):):).

They are lv. 8:
2 gnomes (one with shotgun, one with 2 revolvers. Their attacks TOUCH attack, even vs a dragon with +1000000 natural AC)
1 gnome bard (not a power player and not a problem)
1 druid with a t-rex animal companion (the problem here is the t-rex always grappling)
1 half elf batbarian (great damage dealer, but nothing that requires a punishment).

I need a party of 3-4 NPCs and some of them MUST use grappling and fire weapons.
You can use all manuals, everything that was ever published for PF & D&D3.5, with the exception of mythic rules.

I aim for a level encounter like theirs. The match must be fair, but they must suffer the same :):):):) they always use.

You can use the point buy system using 20pts.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll move this to the correct forum for you. Please refrain from using profanity on EN World. Thanks.

A

amerigoV

An Advanced Wolf in Sheep's Clothing should take are of the Gnomes (they go over to talk to the bunny and are eaten). Just make sure this occurs in a city park, so they have to leave the T-Rex outside the gates.

(make sure there is a big "No Dinosaurs" sign on the main gate).

wwanno

First Post
Well I didn't think that word was a profanity. . .
And I was sure I was posting in the d&d and PF section.
Anyway thanks for moving the tread, and yes sir, I will refrain in future.
[MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION]: I don't want a hard encounter, I want an encounter where I can use their same weapons and tricks against them. And they must feel the pain even if they use their whole strength, so no, I won't attack them inside a city in order to inder the druid, instead I want to kill the t-rex in front of him.

Last edited:

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
It's about circumstances as well as numbers. For example:

- An adventure that has places between major areas you need to squeeze through. No more T-rex. In fact, an adventure in a mine or cavern might remove it for the game.
- A mind-control type of NPC, grab the T-rex for yourself, he might be able to swallow a gnome.
- Fear-based spells to remove the T-rex, I assume it has a low Will save.
- Caster using water spells like aqueous orb early on, get rid of those annoying guns by getting the bullets wet. Have them need to swim through an area or wade in a swamp, same effect.
- Encounters with tons of low CR numbers - how many people can a T-rex grab at once?
- High Dex opponents with deflection bonuses from spells not items, like shield of faith.
- Sunder those pesky guns early in an adventure so they are broken a while.

Also, remember you can control things like a T-rex or guns out of combat too - who is going to let one into a town or city? No one lol. Perhaps a town does not allow guns or makes them stay unloaded. Perhaps the T-Rex rampages the countryside while the group is in a city, the T-rex got bored . . . and now a city militia is after it, will the players become enemies of the state or allow the T-rex to be hunted down? That's a whole adventure right there.

Also! Give tasks that require things other than damage. An NPC that needs to be told an epic poem to let them pass uses the bard more. Perhaps a delicate negotiation that needs a soft touch and not a dinosaur stomping around nearby.

Remember, your adventures don't need to be designed for a final boss kill, but for an objective. When players begin to be able to kill everything, the new goals should be things like preventing a villian from finishing an objective, helping an NPC get from A to B alive, and so on. It's harder to make sure a complex mission is completed when it involves more than just killing all the bad guys.

Honestly, though, it seems you have a problem with an uncontrolled and overpowered companion as well as guns . . . I have avoided letting people use the gunslinger class, are guns touch attacks?!? I would NERF that rule right away, having players making touch attacks all the time would be really unbalancing.

Last edited:

wwanno

First Post
Those are all great imput, great to frustrate the PCs who will not be allowed to use their abilities to full power. I will use those ideas for sure (actually I was talking with a friend about them right now).

Remove ads