cant' take skill twice????

Wojorides

Explorer
Neither my players nor I understand this? A burglar who can/t improve in Thievery?? An Assassin who cant improve his shooting?

In July 7th edition the rules still read "Throughout your character's life, you can select skills multiple times, although never twice from the same career . For example, if you have a career choice such as Jock which allows you to choose running as a skill, you can only choose that skill once. "

If a career is repeatable, the character who takes it again WANTS to get better. Yet according to the rules can't.. WHY?? :confused:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Calm yourself. You seem very excited. It's just a game! :)

The idea is that careers offer a range of skills and to be good at a career you need to have some ability at several of them. Also, 5x skill ranks is very unbalancing in play.

You can improve the skills at any time by spending XP. So the burglar certainly can improve at thievery. You just need to earn it a bit.

Last edited:

Wojorides

Explorer
My players are unhappy.

Actually 5x skill only adds 2 dice now. Which on the first night of the play through with these rules also upset the players. They are not looking forward to spending all the exp to go from Skill level 3 to skill level 6 to gain 1 die. Level 4, 2000exp, buy another skill , level 5 2500, buy another skill, finally buy level 6 for 3000 gaining a die. someplace around 10,000 exp to gain that 1 die. At 1,000 exp a week about 2.5 months to gain 1 die. (maybe another in the other skill)

I have already have 2 players out of 6 comment that there is little reward for increasing skills.

If my players are unhappy, this is a bad thing.

Calm yourself. You seem very excited. It's just a game! :)

The idea is that careers offer a range of skills and to be good at a career you need to have some ability at several of them. Also, 5x skill ranks is very unbalancing in play.

You can improve the skills at any time by spending XP. So the burglar certainly can improve at thievery. You just need to earn it a bit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually 5x skill only adds 2 dice now. Which on the first night of the play through with these rules also upset the players. They are not looking forward to spending all the exp to go from Skill level 3 to skill level 6 to gain 1 die. Level 4, 2000exp, buy another skill , level 5 2500, buy another skill, finally buy level 6 for 3000 gaining a die. someplace around 10,000 exp to gain that 1 die. At 1,000 exp a week about 2.5 months to gain 1 die. (maybe another in the other skill)

I have already have 2 players out of 6 comment that there is little reward for increasing skills.

If my players are unhappy, this is a bad thing.

That's what the playtest process is for. The rules get altered in each iteration of the playtest document based on feedback; in particular the XP costs of advances have not been playtested yet because nobody's played long enough to advance yet, so those costs are very subject to feedback from play. Thank you for yours! :)

Remove ads