D&D 5E Surf's D&D 5e Monster Analysis

That's pretty good. I think Amazon worked out to about $23 AUD after shipping costs (got a copy for me and a guy in my gaming group).

So that's a very comparable price, especially considering they have them on the day of release, rather than having to wait for them to ship from the US to Australia.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
So, am I correct in thinking that you'll be pulling apart the Starter Set Monsters until new monsters come out in Basic?

I'm hoping really, really, hard that when the PHB comes out, Basic is updated with some monsters. I remember something to that effect being said (that monsters would be added in August). Here's hoping I'm not interpreting that statement through Fanboy goggles.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
So, am I correct in thinking that you'll be pulling apart the Starter Set Monsters until new monsters come out in Basic?

I'm hoping really, really, hard that when the PHB comes out, Basic is updated with some monsters. I remember something to that effect being said (that monsters would be added in August). Here's hoping I'm not interpreting that statement through Fanboy goggles.

Mike Mearls has said, repeatedly, monsters, magic items, and encounter building stuff will be added to 5B when the PH(B) launches.

Thaumaturge.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Mike Mearls has said, repeatedly, monsters, magic items, and encounter building stuff will be added to 5B when the PH(B) launches.
Sorry.

I had literally been paying no attention to DDN until I went to Wizard's site the Saturday after Independence Day to log into my DDI account and found out about Basic. It was a complete surprise. I've been trying to found out as much hard information as I can, but it's difficult because it's all spread out.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Sorry.

I had literally been paying no attention to DDN until I went to Wizard's site the Saturday after Independence Day to log into my DDI account and found out about Basic. It was a complete surprise. I've been trying to found out as much hard information as I can, but it's difficult because it's all spread out.

And I'm sorry if I came across as a jerk. :)

I said "repeatedly" more to allay your fears they won't be there. If monsters and such don't show up in 5B, Mearls will have a lot of explaining to do at this point. :)

Welcome aboard. Just finding out about 5e must be a pretty neat surprise.

The information is scattered everywhere. This thread probably isn't the place to talk about it. If you have any specific questions, start a thread and we can all help answer them.

Thaumaturge.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I should have been clearer. My original question (asked at one am my time) was about this bit from Surf's website:

Monster Construction. In this first phase we'll flesh out what I've explored of monster design, flagging items as described above. This phase will be driven primarily out of Basic D&D and the Starter Set. I expect it to last only a few short weeks and plan to make 2-3 blog posts a week during this period.
So, my question to Surf is are you going to be posting analysis of Starter Set monsters before Wizard's adds monster to Basic?

Because I'm really curious about what's deducible from the monsters in the Starter Set. I noticed some patterns in my curious look through the appendix, but I really want to see what someone who's better at this kind of analysis comes up with.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Remove ads