Ashes, all OOC

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's just the same as if it were a magic item that did the same thing, only this is more flavourful. I say go for it. (And if Lester doesn't want the cat, then that's his choice!

Kaodi

Hero
I would not mind. Lester could probably use something to occupy his attention, maybe ground him a bit more, and the small bonus to rolls cannot hurt with his stat line.

mips42

Adventurer
Okay, then. Peasea will be a Minor Familiar with the bonus previously described.
He cannot attack for you and, as he is a cat, you can't really command him, either. However, you might be able to teach him minor tricks (fetch, etc).
Hooray for flavor!

mips42

Adventurer
okay, peeps, what's going on?
There's lots still in the adventure if you want it:
You could continue searching the farm.
You could try to follow the Kobolds.
You could deliver your wagon to Crown Point.
You could do something else.
Are we done already? Don't care anymore? not sure what to do or what?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hmmm. We've been at this particular farm for more than a month of real time now, and we've been searching since Sept 8.

We've searched the house and the barn/animal pens and have been told that there is no noise of animals, and that the house is deserted. If there's something here for us to find, I simply do not know what we should be doing to get that information from you.

Since the kobolds "disappeared into the night" (IC 155) before that searching, following them in the dark seems foolish. Were we supposed to chase them down?

Some in the party kept an enemy alive and attempted to extract information, again without success.

It's been dead end after dead end, and I am surprised that you are suggesting we keep searching at this point. What started as stops along the way have dragged us into a situation where there has been no reason for these stops. We as players should have said no to the favour of calling on the farms: our characters trying to be nice has drawn out the game for no narrative advance -- either a deserted farm, or us being driven off by people we were trying to help.

The prisoner is dead, and some people are sitting in the cart waiting to go. That's what I think is going on.

mips42

Adventurer
Hmmm. We've been at this particular farm for more than a month of real time now, and we've been searching since Sept 8.

We've searched the house and the barn/animal pens and have been told that there is no noise of animals, and that the house is deserted. If there's something here for us to find, I simply do not know what we should be doing to get that information from you.
Not say you SHOULD search more, only that you could. It's up to you guys if you want to or not. (BTW using 'guys' as a generic, not assuming gender)

Since the kobolds "disappeared into the night" (IC 155) before that searching, following them in the dark seems foolish. Were we supposed to chase them down?
Again, it's an option. You could camp overnight at the house and attempt it in the morning if you so choose.
Some in the party kept an enemy alive and attempted to extract information, again without success.
Fair enough, that could have been handled differently.
It's been dead end after dead end, and I am surprised that you are suggesting we keep searching at this point. What started as stops along the way have dragged us into a situation where there has been no reason for these stops. We as players should have said no to the favour of calling on the farms: our characters trying to be nice has drawn out the game for no narrative advance -- either a deserted farm, or us being driven off by people we were trying to help.

The prisoner is dead, and some people are sitting in the cart waiting to go. That's what I think is going on.
Again, fair points. I will say this about this: I said before we started that the plot points would not be handed to you, that I would try my best to not put you on rails and let you do what you chose to do. I still stand by that.
It's a open/sandboxy adventure. If you want to chase the kobolds, go for it. If you want to search the grounds of the farm more, go for it. If you want to move on with the adventure, that's fine.
If you'd like some more direction ( not flaming arrow/neon sign directions ), I can do that as well.
I guess what I'm saying is that the players have a lot of say in this type of adventure, but if they don't say, things stagnate and I'd rather not do that if I can help it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks for this, mips42. PbP is a gruelling format: and it can be burdensomely slow. In two months we've had one combat, in which the enemy fled, and several social encounters.

The reward-feedback of D&D depends on gaining competence (xp, levelling) and that's part of the way the system engineers player interest. What we've done would take less than a single evening if we were all face-to-face, but we've been playing for most of 2 months, with part of one combat under our belts, at a point when our characters are at their most vulnerable. How much xp do we have? At this rate when will we level?

This is part of the difficulties of php (as I talked about briefly in OOC 27); sandbox play is fine, but if there are specific details you want us to ferret out, that will slow things down. And a slower game leads to greater attrition of players. It's why I think PbP games should start at what the ref thinks is the "sweet spot" for adventuring -- whether it's level 3 or 5 or whatever. Because the odds are that even a well-run, well-thought-out game won't get beyond that.

I think we do need you to push us more. (I'm speaking only for myself here). I post and it's sometimes several days before the post is answered: call for rolls; let us go to the dice more (if the results might be meaningful).

But of course it's difficult, because you want to leave space for the players as well. But I think most of us are still here, and want to play -- we'll follow your lead!

mips42

Adventurer
Due to extenuating life circumstances, I no longer have reliable, regular access to the internet. It sucks, but there you are. I would like to attempt to continue the game, if possible but need to make sure you all know what is going on so you can vote yea or no. What say you all?

Remove ads