(Casual D&D) A Game of Trust

Guilt Puppy

First Post
(I'm looking through here trying to find a game to play, and it looks scant... So I figure "nobody's going to start a game unless someone starts a game," so I'm starting one.

Ground rules: PHB only to create character. Use 4d6 drop-the-lowest for stats. First level. Roll for gold using the class tables in the Equipment section. Spend on anything in the PHB.

I will not ask to see you character sheets: You'll be rolling your own dice, and I'll be trusting you to be honest about your attacks, checks, et cetera. When making an attack, or series of attacks, include all attack rolls and damage rolls. When making checks, include only the check result. Specify it next to your action like so (Specify check 23) or (Attacks 19, 8; Damage 14, 6) Whenever it may be a question (sneak attack, for instance, or touch attacks) be sure to designate that damage separately.

Be sure to include a check result whenever you do something which you believe might entail one. Otherwise, if it is needed, I'll assume a result of 11 (slightly above-average untrained.) Oh, and use real dice if possible: Random number generators don't really capture true randomness, in my experience.

Regarding combat, describe your action in a multi-round, "if-then" fashion, including rolls for everything. I'll try to structure combats without an excess of surprises that would foil this.

As for signing up, just step right in to the tavern described below. I'll change this intro once six slots are full. Why you're there is up to you: Assume a "vanilla D&D world" for any background elements, although I will likely be seguing into Kalamar once my books arrive :)

World flavor-wise, pretty classic D&D. Mid-level magic, heroic personalities, et cetera... Focus will be more on role-playing than on combat, to suit the style of play-by-post. I'll try to post a few times a night, Pacific Time, and in between you're left for your own devices. If I don't post to this thread for twenty-four consecutive hours, anyone -- players and non-players -- can ad hoc the situation as they see fit. Make sure to bold (As DM) at the top of such posts, and focus more on continuing the action rather than changing the action: I'm not all too hell-bent on sticking to my own storyline, but if we get multiple as-DMs in a streak things'll get all over the place if the focus isn't on continuity.

As you might have guessed from this, this is meant to be played pretty casually, a sort of loose-knit plotline for a set of characters to go through. If you want a more devoted game, this isn't it. Also, a corollary to this: If you're in a lot of PbP games here, consider stepping aside and letting some of the other people take a shot.

In combat, I'll try to give twenty-four hours between actions if needed... If you haven't posted by then, Full Defense is assumed, and I'll try to avoid killing you. If you want to allow other people to pick-up your character while you're gone, post a link to your character sheet and a time limit: This may be forty-eight hours, twenty-four hours, twelve hours, whatever. I ask, however, that players do not look at each others' character sheets; further, I will not look at your character to pick up for you.

Now that that's all set out, the scene: )

Hedrogura: Jewel of the Eastern Sealine, a testament to the glory of Free Cities around the world, at least for those who've never seen it in person. In reality it is a dirty, aging city orbited by dirty, aging slums: Its "booming marketplace" is little more than a horde of thievely old men, peddling exotic novelties and knick-knacks for money to spend in a better place. The gladiator pit, in stories the home of epic battles and glorious warriors, offers little more than the spectacle of death, as criminals and the occasional upstart swordsman are pitted against far more skilled or ferocious opponents.

And then there is Caval's Horde, a tavern which the bards call dirty and small, and which inspection proves to be dirty and small. As you enter there is no trace of the great heroes who, the stories tell, have passed through to break from some grand journey. It is crowded, but quiet, save for the bickering of a trio of Dwarven merchants in a foreign tongue, the slow whispers passed between questionable women and lonely broken men, and from off in a dark corner, the steady-solemn strumming of an old man with an old lute.

The barkeep is gaunt, yet hearty, leathery skin pulled tight around long thin muscle, soaked by a plain grey shirt. His clenched gray eyebrows are the longest hairs on his head: Beard cropped short, hair cut shorter. Thin ears pull back along his skull, possibly half, more likely a quarter elven. He looks with contempt at every glass he fills, and his gaze never seems to soften. His only help is a thirty-something red-haired woman, carrying glasses full and empty to and fro'. She stares off into space for moments at a time, never seems to come all the way back. Neither of them appear to notice that anyone is in the room.

Seats are open along the bar: Leather, torn here and there but still respectable. A table near the door, surrounded by a few rough wooden chairs, seems unoccupied. No one seems to take any note of anyone's entrance... Which seems like a favor, in many cases.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Re: Races

Arg-ha Lardgoa said:
What Races available? Any Exotic?

(Quote original post: "PHB only to create character." So PHB races... Although if anyone wants to play a Kobold, I'll allow it, because I like Kobolds.)

garyh

First Post
Re: (Casual) A Game of Trust: Step right in if you want to play some D&D

Guilt Puppy said:
If you want a more devoted game, this isn't it. Also, a corollary to this: If you're in a lot of PbP games here, consider stepping aside and letting some of the other people take a shot.

I will keep on moving then, GP. :)

Have fun!!

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Re: Re: Re: (Casual) A Game of Trust: Step right in if you want to play some D&D

reapersaurus said:
Yes.

Move on, gary - nothing to see here... ;)

You'd better keep moving, too, Reaper. ;)

Okay, enough hijacking. Have fun, GP!!

Guilt Puppy

First Post
DM italics! Oooh!

garyh: Heh, that part was written specifically with you in mind, and written ambiguously ("consider stepping aside" rather than "keep out") also with you specifically in mind :) (because I can't conscience starting a PbP game that specifically bans the ubiquitious PbPer!)

Of course, if it was the "casual game" part that put you off, that part's pretty set in stone. However, if you (and that goes for reap, too, really) would like to hop in, go ahead (was hoping to get in at least an intro or to before going to bed tonight, heh)... There's still plenty of slots left (although I definitely do want to keep the last three open for less habitual PbPers, as it can be hard to find a non-dedicated game around here, and harder still to squeeze into one :))

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Don't worry, I wasn't offended or anything, GP. I've been trying to hold myself back recently, and I'm all for letting others have a shot at PbP-ing. Fresh blood is good. :)

The casual part actually seems pretty neat, BTW.

wings

First Post
Red-eyed elf, ready to go.

The young elf's expectations of the city had been rather squashed. He had come looking for possible employment, or just any excitement in general, but found nothing but back stabbing merchants that would slit their own mother throats for a silver. Even if they didn't feel like killing off their lineage, they could just offer a copper to the next guy to do it for him...

Well, either its that bad, or the curly haired elf just had a bad day. Considering his picturesque pout, one can assume the second.

Numerous tiny spirals of well kept black hair spill about the very beginnings of his shoulders. The dark color frames his face and falls about his eyes. Deep luscious red, like the color of a dark, wet, rose wreathes his pupil. The Irises are vivid and liquid, usually either sharply taking in surroundings or floating off into some half-realized day-dream. His face is lean and "cute", hair and eyes lending to its shape very well. The long pointed ears of Elven legend poke out through the curls.

He wears a simple dusty brown coat, the torso buckled and the lower parts left open for mobility. His back sports a shortbow unstrung and wrapped tightly with a quiver of arrows. A long-handled rapier hangs from a belt outside the coat. He wears tight leggings of a charcoal-blue color that fit tightly to his form, and black leather hard-soled boots, scuffed and rising up his calves with several buckles. His hands are wrapped in a light black material instead of actually shaped into gloves, for mobility of the fingers.

He sighs and goes back outside, holding out his arm, a seemingly idiotic movement. He waits there, with arm outstretched for a few seconds before a large bird drops out of the sky. A hawk, of a dusky brown color, could be mistaken for black, and a smaller example of its kind, with only about a five foot wingspan. But, still a chore for the diminished elf. He brings the bird in and hope no one says to much against it. He notices they take it with their un-prejudiced apathy, and he whews.

Where is that Victus, anyhow?

spot: 12
listen: 23
pretty good bonuses in just that I'm an elf with a familiar at my side.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Having taken not a moment's glance from the dish drying in his hand, the barkeep calls to his new visitor.

"'ey,"

After a beat, he looks up, unflinching stony eye contact, and tosses his dishrag on the counter, toward the young elf.

"I don't want to find any mess left behind by your little friend there,"

A nod toward the bird: His voice is firm, yet somehow just a touch friendly.

He looks back down toward his work, then remembers:

"Oh, and leave the rag."

Meanwhile, you catch that the old lutist in the corner is singing under his breath... It is too low to hear the words, and it would almost sound like humming if you couldn't pick out the occasional Elvish syllable, soft as music.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases