D&D 5E What Classes in PHB?

jadrax

Adventurer
I was hoping that a Swashbuckler-type option would be one of the "subclasses" under either Fighter or Rogue. I still hope this type of lightly armored but still very competent combatant is represented well in 5e, even if it's only done via Feats.

Right now, 5e is looking to probably be the most Dex friendly version of D&D ever.

What exactly do you want for a swashbuckler that is not present in the current fighter?

gyor

Legend
I can see there being room for a swashbuckler subclass, although I'll admit its already easy to build one with the classes we have have. I'm thinking a rogue with a subclass ability that allowing feinting as a choice for the cunning action, and another that allows one to make an arcobatic check with ones movement for stunts.

Just an idea.

gyor

Legend
Still here is a build for now for a fighter swashbuckler.

Fighter
Champion
Wild Elf or Lightfoot Halfling
Pick twf or dualist as you fighting style and then the other later.
High dex and either leather armour or if you prefer the puffy white shirt get a wizard to cast mage armour on you.
Rapier if dualist, or a scimatar or short sword in one hand and a dagger in the other if twf.
High Dex, High Charisma Criminal/spy background.
You'll be brutally deadly with your sword/swords, picture a rapier with +2 damage, two attacks per action which can be against different foes or the same one, with a 18-20 crit range and you can even do the princess bride manvuer.

PS the Princess Bride manvuer in this case is getting back to ones feet after a savage wound and saying I am blank, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Which champion can do first with his second wind and later his regeneration ability.

Still here is a build for now for a fighter swashbuckler.

Fighter
Champion
Wild Elf or Lightfoot Halfling
Pick twf or dualist as you fighting style and then the other later.
High dex and either leather armour or if you prefer the puffy white shirt get a wizard to cast mage armour on you.
Rapier if dualist, or a scimatar or short sword in one hand and a dagger in the other if twf.
High Dex, High Charisma Criminal/spy background.
You'll be brutally deadly with your sword/swords, picture a rapier with +2 damage, two attacks per action which can be against different foes or the same one, with a 18-20 crit range and you can even do the princess bride manvuer.

PS the Princess Bride manvuer in this case is getting back to ones feet after a savage wound and saying I am blank, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Which champion can do first with his second wind and later his regeneration ability.

Mostly I agree. I still have a problem with the fact that there is insufficient incentive to not use a shield. The Dueling fighting style? You can carry a shield with it. Dex-based, lightly armored, acrobatic rapier-wielding musketeer...with a shield?

I really hope there is a good feat that only works if you aren't using a shield.

(I also hope it applies equally to Str-weapons. There are plenty of fantasy sword-wielders who use a longsword without a shield.)

Andor

First Post
Mostly I agree. I still have a problem with the fact that there is insufficient incentive to not use a shield. The Dueling fighting style? You can carry a shield with it. Dex-based, lightly armored, acrobatic rapier-wielding musketeer...with a shield?

I really hope there is a good feat that only works if you aren't using a shield.

(I also hope it applies equally to Str-weapons. There are plenty of fantasy sword-wielders who use a longsword without a shield.)

You ... You do realize that the buckler in the phrase "swashbuckler" is a type of light shield commonly employed with fencing weapons, right?

You ... You do realize that the buckler in the phrase "swashbuckler" is a type of light shield commonly employed with fencing weapons, right?

Sure. But to put it bluntly: it looks stupid. Most historically accurate combat styles aren't as aesthetically pleasing to modern sensibilities as sword-combat in action movies. I can't remember having ever seen a swashbuckler using a buckler. Either they have a free hand or are dual-wielding. I'd rather have swordplay express cinematic battles than attempt to recreate awkward looking historical re-enactments. And I'm pretty sure a lot of people would agree with me on that preference.

Andor

First Post
Then use the two weapon fighting style and fight with the more cinematic florentine style. I really like the fact that you can now fight off two orcs with one hand and throw you off hand dagger at the cultist Mage to break his concentration. Sounds cinematic to me.

gyor

Legend
Then use the two weapon fighting style and fight with the more cinematic florentine style. I really like the fact that you can now fight off two orcs with one hand and throw you off hand dagger at the cultist Mage to break his concentration. Sounds cinematic to me.

Yes its cool.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Sure. But to put it bluntly: it looks stupid. Most historically accurate combat styles aren't as aesthetically pleasing to modern sensibilities as sword-combat in action movies. I can't remember having ever seen a swashbuckler using a buckler. Either they have a free hand or are dual-wielding. I'd rather have swordplay express cinematic battles than attempt to recreate awkward looking historical re-enactments. And I'm pretty sure a lot of people would agree with me on that preference.

Houserule improvised shields. You don't often see such characters carrying and utilising shields, but you do see them grabbing things from their surroundings to block attacks. A broom handle. A flagon. A leg of mutton.

Or allow the Duelist feature to include the use of items intended for parrying (parrying daggers and cloaks are both historical and cinematic).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases