New Captain America will be black

was

Adventurer
I have no problem with a female becoming the wielder of Mjolnir and thus goddess of thunder. The problem is that, despite their statement, they are essentially producing a female clone of an existing superhero. Marvel's own past experiences should show them that that is doomed to fail. They need to create a new and unique figure not just a feminine version of Thor Odinson...and Thor is his name whether or not he is the God of Thunder..also the Odinson..note the son, not dottir

I may be wrong but, from the article, it appears that the artists behind this move are all male. Maybe it's just me, but they might want to hire some female comic designers in their attempt to build popular female superheros. I'm sure there are plenty of female comic designers out there who would jump at the chance.

I have no problem with a female becoming the wielder of Mjolnir and thus goddess of thunder. The problem is that, despite their statement, they are essentially producing a female clone of an existing superhero. Marvel's own past experiences should show them that that is doomed to fail. They need to create a new and unique figure not just a feminine version of Thor Odinson...
I don't think comics are as popular as they once were. not enough people are interested in them that it is worth to try and create a new character. Marvel is using the popularity of Thor to try to bring in some new readers. Thor comics already have a built in audience, so they are sure to sell a certain amount of comics. They may get a few more people interested with the advertised changes. I don't think it is profitable for Marvel to invest in a whole new character that has to be built up an audience and may fail. I don't think comic companies are willing to invest the money and time it takes to get a new character up and running, especially if there is no guarantee it will succeed.
and Thor is his name whether or not he is the God of Thunder..
The female Thor is keeping the name Thor.
also the Odinson..note the son, not dottir
The Oddinson title can stay with the regular male Thor without the female Thor needing that part of the title. She is taking the title of god of thunder, not son of Oddin.

I may be wrong but, from the article, it appears that the artists behind this move are all male. Maybe it's just me, but they might want to hire some female comic designers in their attempt to build popular female superheros. I'm sure there are plenty of female comic designers out there who would jump at the chance.
Interesting. What gives you that idea?

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
I don't think comics are as popular as they once were. not enough people are interested in them that it is worth to try and create a new character

...I think the money is out there. It's just far cheaper, and cost effective, to recycle old ideas then to try out new ones.

Marvel is using the popularity of Thor to try to bring in some new readers. Thor comics already have a built in audience, so they are sure to sell a certain amount

...Unless they further alienate their traditonal readers with another unsuccessful female superhero
clone. Maybe it's just me, butI think people are hungry for new characters.I am just not a fan of simply recycling old superhero concepts. I don't think it's nearly as creative and don't spend my money on it.

Please bear in mind that I'm not going off on rant. I just don't think it's a good move.

Interesting. What gives you that idea?
comments by:
Marvel's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada
The new Thor writer Jason Aaron
The new Thor artist Russell Dauterman
Marvel Editor Wil Moss

...I am not 100% certain that this creative team is all male, but it's a pretty good bet they are. It's just illogical for companies to continue to lament a lack of popular female superheros and not include female artists in their creation.

http://time.com/#3001241/marvel-captain-america-black/
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/captain-america-announcement/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54083
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/ma...ale-thor-in-new-comicbook-series-1201262561/#
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ion-of-superhero-in-comic-series-9608661.html

Last edited:

delericho

Legend

If Captain America is to stop being Steve Rodgers, then the new guy might as well be black as not. However...

but not the one in the movies...

This does seem to be a somewhat odd move - to a certain extent the comics and the movies now feed back into one another, which means that Marvel should really be seeking to keep the character identities in sync - Captain America should be Steve Rodgers (and should look pretty much like Chris Evans), it needs to be Tony Stark in the Iron Man suit, and so on.

Unless...

We do know that Chris Evans is under contract for 'only' three more movies (Cap 3 and Avengers 2 and 3). And, unlike in the comic universe, he's not immortal and unaging. So, if Marvel want to continue their movie universe indefinitely and avoid reboots, they'll need some sort of succession plan - either new actors take over as Steve Rodgers, Tony Stark, et al or (perhaps better) they retire the original superhero and bring in a successor.

So perhaps this is them starting down that road - use the comics as a test-bed for a new Cap (and Thor), and if it gains traction then they can make the same change in the movie universe. And if it doesn't work out, they can do something else instead.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have no problem with a female becoming the wielder of Mjolnir and thus goddess of thunder. The problem is that, despite their statement, they are essentially producing a female clone of an existing superhero.

For the moment.

Mayhaps you are not aware of this has turned out in the past? I suspect the female Thor storyline is merely the origin story for a new female superhero. Thor falls from grace, she picks up the mantle. Thor eventually cleans up, and she continues on as a hero of some form or other afterwards. Beta Ray Bill and Thunderstrike were both granted their own weapons after beign worthy of Mjollnir, so I expect this to be the pattern here as well. She'll be the thunder goddess for a while, then she'll be her own hero.

This does seem to be a somewhat odd move - to a certain extent the comics and the movies now feed back into one another, which means that Marvel should really be seeking to keep the character identities in sync - Captain America should be Steve Rodgers (and should look pretty much like Chris Evans), it needs to be Tony Stark in the Iron Man suit, and so on.

I don't think it matters that much. Comic fans understand that the two universes are different. Non-fans won't care.

We do know that Chris Evans is under contract for 'only' three more movies (Cap 3 and Avengers 2 and 3). And, unlike in the comic universe, he's not immortal and unaging.

Chris Hemsworth is on record as saying that, keeping up the Thor physique through Avengers 3 is *not* going to be easy. He'll be in his mid-30s when Avengers 3 comes out, and keeping up that build into his 40s? Unlikely.

So, if Marvel want to continue their movie universe indefinitely and avoid reboots, they'll need some sort of succession plan - either new actors take over as Steve Rodgers, Tony Stark, et al or (perhaps better) they retire the original superhero and bring in a successor.

So perhaps this is them starting down that road - use the comics as a test-bed for a new Cap (and Thor), and if it gains traction then they can make the same change in the movie universe. And if it doesn't work out, they can do something else instead.

I don't think so. The current plan has Avengers 3 out in 2017. Tests today won't mean much by, say, 2020 when they'd be really trying to recast. At least, not any more than the tests they've already doe in the past - Cap, Thor, and Iron Man have *all* been other people in the comics in the past.

I think this is where the "Phases" of the Marvel strategy come in. The first Phases amount to "Take some of our most iconic heroes, make really good movies". Now, they start to play off the accumulated good opinion - with things like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. Broaden the stable, use more Marvel IP, but try to keep the movies good. Soon, the word becomes "If it is a Marvel movie, see it!" Marvel has so much IP to play with, they can then take their time with recasting / revisiting the Avengers.

I think the things happening in the current comics continuity are far more simple - response to public desire to see superhero universes show more diversity. After a run as Thor, the new female hero may have some traction. After a run as Cap, Falcon will get a boost when he returns to his more normal duties. By that time, the Netflix shows will hopefully be running (with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage), Agent Carter, and so on.

delericho

Legend
I don't think it matters that much. Comic fans understand that the two universes are different. Non-fans won't care.

I presume, though, that Marvel will want to recruit new fans for the comics. Those are most likely to be people who have first seen the movies. And if they pick up a copy of Thor and Captain America, they'll expect the character they encounter there to match what they're used to.

Every issue is somebody's issue #1.

Chris Hemsworth is on record as saying that, keeping up the Thor physique through Avengers 3 is *not* going to be easy. He'll be in his mid-30s when Avengers 3 comes out, and keeping up that build into his 40s? Unlikely.

Exactly.

I think this is where the "Phases" of the Marvel strategy come in. The first Phases amount to "Take some of our most iconic heroes, make really good movies". Now, they start to play off the accumulated good opinion - with things like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man. Broaden the stable, use more Marvel IP, but try to keep the movies good. Soon, the word becomes "If it is a Marvel movie, see it!"

Eh. That may be the strategy, but I suspect they're in for a rude awakening on that one.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I presume, though, that Marvel will want to recruit new fans for the comics.

Sure, but as a distant third or fourth place priority. Think, for a moment - worldwide, the Avengers movie made something like $1.1 billion. Meanwhile, in the month of August, 2012, Marvel's gross overall comics sales was estimated at about $10 million. So, we might say that an entire year of comic sales - of *all* Marvel titles, and gross, not net profit, is about 10% of the profit from just one of these movies.

So, while getting folks to transit from movies to comics is nice, these thigns are really playing on two different fields, economically.

...I think the money is out there. It's just far cheaper, and cost effective, to recycle old ideas then to try out new ones.
I completely agree with you. My guess is that Marvel doesn't want to take the gamble and lose out on a new character. How much does it cost to set up a new character with it's own comic line?
...Unless they further alienate their traditonal readers with another unsuccessful female superhero
clone.
That's always a possibility, but I think, at the moment, Marvel is seeing bigger profits and more popularity from its movies than it sees from it's comics. I may be wrong. It's just a guess on my part, but I think that's what's guiding some of these changes. It's possible that in the future we'll see a movie where Thor is deemed unworthy of Mjolnir, and a female character becomes the new Thor. Women are becoming more interested in comic character movies, especially since they end up putting guys that look like Chris Hemsworth to play the lead roles. The way comic characters are being consumed by the public has changed. I think from a profitability stand point, comics are not as profitable as TV or movies. What works in comics doesn't necessarily work in the other two, and as comics decrease in popularity, so does the way in which characters are introduced and promoted.
Maybe it's just me, butI think people are hungry for new characters.I am just not a fan of simply recycling old superhero concepts. I don't think it's nearly as creative and don't spend my money on it.

Please bear in mind that I'm not going off on rant. I just don't think it's a good move.
I'm sure people are hungry for new characters, but are there enough people hungry for new characters to make it financially lucrative for Marvel, or other comic companies, to create a new character?

comments by:
Marvel's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada
The new Thor writer Jason Aaron
The new Thor artist Russell Dauterman
Marvel Editor Wil Moss

...I am not 100% certain that this creative team is all male, but it's a pretty good bet they are. It's just illogical for companies to continue to lament a lack of popular female superheros and not include female artists in their creation.
Maybe there just aren't as many female artist or writers in the comic industry, or even interested in writing or drawing comics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases