D&D 5E Player's Handbook Alpha *Spoilers*

gyor

Legend
Okay I finally found out how some people know stuff or seemed to, there is a leaked Alpha ouf there.

Not only is it all subject to change, but I've noticed some in cantrips and major/permantant image already.

In the Alpha Major Image and Permanant Image are seperate spells, in Basic they're one spell with permantant image becoming a higher slot verison of Major Image.

Cantrips that deal damage are nerfed, dealing 5 dice max in the Alpha, but 4 dice max in Basic.

Some other things I noticed, the Paladin's find steed can only be ritually cast by Bards and Warlocks, not full Paladins.

Its a Paladin spell that is a ritual, but Paladin's can't normal cast thier spells as rituals, and Ritual Caster does not have an option to ritually cast Paladin Spells. This leads to the ironic situation where Paladin's can't cast a iconic spell, where they gain there holy steed, but a Bardic can steal Find Steed Spell from the Paladin using magical secrets, cast it in a 5th level slot and summon a Fey, Celestial, or Fiendish Nightmare or Unicorn, and then because it now counts as a Bard Spell thanks to magical secrets, cast it as a ritual to summon his bound mount anytime he wants, something the Paladin can never do.

A Tomelock, Tome Pact Warlock, can also write the ritual down as with the Book of Secrets Invocation he can write down rituals from any class. He can't get the more powerful steeds, but he can summon his bound steed at will. Against a full Paladin can't use a ritual to summon his steed according to the Alpha (hopefully they fixed that in the finished product.).

I believe it's a playtester document from before the release of Basic D&D, so there's likely quite a few changes and errors. It's neat as a curiosity, a bridge between the last public playtest document and the PHB, but there will likely be much more coming.

sidonunspa

First Post
there are a lot more changes then those...

I hope the people that have acquired this (illegal mind you) copy understand it is NOT the final version of the rules....

the Jester

Legend
there are a lot more changes then those...

I hope the people that have acquired this (illegal mind you) copy understand it is NOT the final version of the rules....

Speaking for myself, I would love to see it just to go through it and check out what is likely to be in the book. I doubt whether my 'real' 5e game will get started before the MM, and maybe also the DMG, is in my hands- my 4e campaign still has a bit to go yet.

Drudenfusz

First Post
I believe it's a playtester document from before the release of Basic D&D, so there's likely quite a few changes and errors. It's neat as a curiosity, a bridge between the last public playtest document and the PHB, but there will likely be much more coming.
I have looked into the alpha version and can tell you, it is not a playtest version. Sure, some things have changed, but after all it was the alpha version, so that comes not too surprising.

I have looked into the alpha version and can tell you, it is not a playtest version. Sure, some things have changed, but after all it was the alpha version, so that comes not too surprising.
If it's an alpha, it's also a playtest version. I'm guessing you mean it's not a public-playtest version.

Drudenfusz

First Post
If it's an alpha, it's also a playtest version. I'm guessing you mean it's not a public-playtest version.
Of course in mean it is not one of the public testing. But I don't agree with you that an alpha version has to be a playtest version, after all we are not talking about a video game here, and thus we don't have alpha, beta and open testing.

Of course in mean it is not one of the public testing. But I don't agree with you that an alpha version has to be a playtest version, after all we are not talking about a video game here, and thus we don't have alpha, beta and open testing.
The private playtesters, those in the friends and family playtest, are also known as alpha playtesters.
This document is likely one of the playtests sent to the non-public testers.

Drudenfusz

First Post
The private playtesters, those in the friends and family playtest, are also known as alpha playtesters.
This document is likely one of the playtests sent to the non-public testers.
Again, no! It is build like a player's handbook. It refers chapters that are missing (like the entire section about Backgrounds and thus it is not complete to actually build characters with it). And it is clear that it was written after the latest public playtests (and normally alpha tests happen before open testings). So, stop being a smartass, I know what I am talking about!

ccooke

Adventurer
It's not difficult to find, but it's really only a curiosity - and something to whet the appetite, because there are some lovely bits in it. As has been said, it's not something anyone should be using to run a game. It's fascinating to see the progression from the final public playtest to the alpha leak to the Basic rules, though!

Remove ads