Contemplative questions

JRRNeiklot

First Post
If a wizard gains a level of contemplative (from sword and fist), does he add the domain spells to his spellbook?

In DotF (page 77)
quote:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a prestige domain, the character generally does gain access to the domain.
If she is an arcane spellcaster (wizard, sorcerer, or bard), the domain spells are
added to her spells known&8212;scribed in a wizard's spellbook, or added to a sorcerer or bard's list of known spells, in addition to the character's normal number.

from page 55 or the D&D FAQ:
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorcerers or bards who get access to a prestige domain add the domain's spells to the lists of spells they know, and wizards who get access to a prestige domain add the domain's spells to their spellbooks. These spells do not get added to the bard or sorcerer/wizard class list, and other bards, sorcerers, or wizards cannot learn them without first
gaining access to the prestige domain.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, would a wizard/contemplative add the domain spells to his spellbook? It seems to me he would, but he would not gain a caster level. A wizard 10/contemplative1 would cast as a wizard 10/cleric1, with the domain spells from the prestige domain added to his spellbook and the other two domains added to his first level cleric spells, right?

The contemplative description states that "if a contemplative did not previously belong to a divine spellcasting class, she gains the ability to cast divine spells exactly as a cleric of her patron deity. Her spell progression is the same as that of a cleric."
... and since the cleric's domains are part of their spellcasting ability (i.e., not listed as seperate abilities), it seems to follow that such a character would indeed gain the two standard domains.

Why mention patron deity if not to refer to the "Deity, Domains & Domain Spells" section of the Cleric Description?

Anyway, can someone clear this up for me? Confused.

Drawmack

First Post
Both of your sources state that the spells are added to the wizard's spellbook so I would say they get added to the spellbook. This would keep spell preperation to a single session instead of studying wizard spells for 1 hour and praying for cleric spells for 1 hour the wizard just studies what's in their spellbook.

As far as caster level you are correct.

strongbow

First Post
I'll check my sourcebooks, but I believe that I'm going to throw a wrinkle into this thread. I'll post tonight when I can get to my books.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Huh? All you said was that there was a difference between domains and prestige domains. The only difference I see is that only a few classes offer access to a prestige domain.

Anyway, what has that to do eith whether or not a wizard gets the domain spells, which has still not been made clear? (In this thread, at least.)

AGGEMAM

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
Huh? All you said was that there was a difference between domains and prestige domains. The only difference I see is that only a few classes offer access to a prestige domain.

No, prestige domains have a whole other set of rules which are detailed in the DotF, page 77.

EDIT: That means a big fat 'YES' to your initial question. Which was 'If a wizard gains a level of contemplative (from sword and fist), does he add the domain spells to his spellbook?'

Last edited:

Remove ads