[LPF] The Road to Tritower

FrancisJohn

Explorer
~Francis John III, Halfling~
Francis looks around the group, noticing how long their legs are compared to his short Halfling limbs. "Err.... ummm, considering my low stature, would you guys mind if I road one of the ponies? Me thinks that my short stature would be a terrible hindrance. Besides, I can keep an eye on the road with this contraption." He fumbles around with his crossbow, finalizing his motions with a bashful smile.

Last edited:

epicbob

Explorer
Brandon the Swift

With a slightly disappointed tone, Brandon replies :

"Sadly, it is one of the church's demands that we travel the whole way on foot. Unless, I assume, that we become disabled somehow."

Anastrace

First Post
Leira Olren

"Ah, damn it Brandon don't say that you'll jinx us! I know I don't want to end up lame this young." Leira says with a laugh.

epicbob

Explorer
Brandon the Swift

With a shrug and a smirk, Brandon responds :

"Well, you have to admit. Whether we walk or ride as a cripple, we'll be suffering either way."

Suddenly, he snaps with an idea. He then bends down towards Francis and, covering his voice, he half-whispers to him :

"Maybe you can pretend to break your leg. If that doesn't give you a free ride, you'll still get the priestess' ministrations as a consolation prize."

FrancisJohn

Explorer
The halfling silently acknowledges Brandon, but just adds, "Eh, bugger all this. I can probably walk faster than Anna anyway. Sorry, milady, for any offenses your way. Gailin, it was a pleasure meeting you. Hopefully our paths cross sooner rather than later, and with frosty brews in front of us. Let's be on our way!" The halfling begins meandering down the eastern road, and the heat from the sun begins to caramelize the sugar in his hair.

Aura

Explorer
And the Journey Begins

With that, the gnomish lady that took the order at the 'Big Folks' window comes out carrying a huge sack of fruit and pastries. She and Anna exchange coin for breakfast (that gold coin might look familiar to those in the DWI meeting room) and the gnome bids Anna farewell by name. Although the sack doesn't look quite so impressive in the priestess' hands as it did in the gnome's (a 'little old lady' gnome, at that), it still constitutes a rather generous helping for everyone on the group. After making sure Galin gets some before departing, everyone gets an apple, a pear, and a cinnamon roll*. Life is good.

Thankfully, the way out of Venza is just a matter of following the main road, across a bridge or two, and soon you find yourself to the main bridge that connects Venza (which is, in fact, nothing more than a small set of islands connected together by its inhabitants) to the mainland. The main road out connects up to the Silver Road several hours later at a place called Baron's Cross.

Baron's Cross is a small stay over for Venza. It's normally a couple hour's travel on foot (although you arrive in the early afternoon due to the lower speeds of your two debatably slower members--Anna and Francis), it has several sizable farming houses and an inn and eatery known as the Broken Log. Rather wonderful aromas come from the kitchen of that place. And, of course, the Silver Road is a major feature, running north-south through the small community. Armed with rumors of kobold activity along the road to the north, the Silver Road, the famous trade route of the Baronies, beckons you.

[sblock=planning]OK, this is where you need to have any advance plans made, for things can become dangerous once you get past Baron's Cross. As already mentioned, anything you don't detail I'll handle in a somewhat random, barring unreasonable results, fashion. I also assume you don't have weapons drawn as you travel. Things like that. Try to make any suggestions you make to others as IC as reasonably possible, although you can still perform actions in spoiler blocks, as usual.

We've got several new play by post players, so feel free to work with Coyotecode.net ahead of time (for die rolling). Establish a consistent name on the rolls so a history can be checked if needed. Also, when rolling, try to make the roll description as descriptive as reasonably possible. Say you're attacking, include the target and important conditional modifiers, particularly if they are invoked by choice. A good example of that is Power Attack. Example (taken from my character's roll log in her last adventure):
Round 3: Charging Glaive Power Attack on Warhounder 05: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9
1D10+6 = [8]+6 = 14

In this roll, I'm listing the round number (maybe overkill on that), two conditional modifiers that effect the hit or damage roll (charging, Power Attack), the hit roll, and the damage on hit. (Result was a miss, so the damage was irrelevant.)

If you have any problems, just let me know. I'll answer questions as best as I can--I know this is a lot to digest at first, but you've really gotten 'over the hump' once you got your character entered on the wiki and approved. Die rolling is just one more little hurdle. :)

PS: I think ENWorld performance is improving with a relaxation of GenCon/5th Ed activity. That's good.[/sblock]
[sblock=*]Context: Depending on your character's background, both the pear and the cinnamon bun might be considered rather extravagant, even if the latter is not as rich as found in many modern bakeries.[/sblock]

Anastrace

First Post
"Mmm, Fresh country air! It's like being back home already. If you don't mind, I think I'll stay and watch the front of our caravan with Anzaldo." Leira winks. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather walk ahead of a mule than behind it."

[sblock=ooc]

Ok, this is a quick test of the coyotecode system, this is only a test. If this were a real dice roll, it would be a critical failure.
Test Unarmed Strike Attack Roll, Dragon Style Modifier Applied. Attacking Big Nasty Thing with Teeth: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
1D3+6 = [3]+6 = 9

I figured I'll take the lead since I'm a fighterish type, with some armor so..I might be able to soak a hit or two. In theory. ;) I've had iffy luck in the past. Heh.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Lindeloef

First Post
Enjoying the view of the landscape Karra sometimes stops to soak in the scenery but makes sure to never fall behind the cart.

[sblock="ooc"]
[MENTION=6747658]Aura[/MENTION] you can position Karra somewhere in the Middle of the caravan
[MENTION=6700202]Anastrace[/MENTION] coyote auto generates a bb code you can use on this forum (To link on forums supporting bbcodes use: )

[/sblock]

Anastrace

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Ah ha! Now I see it, and I edited it in to my test sample. Thanks so much ^.^ You can tell I'm now at this pbp thing.

[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Francis walks alongside Anna, with the priestess in between the mules and himself, on the left side of the caravan. The halfling puts a bit of leaf in his pipe, and happily walks along with the group. To anyone to listens, he tells the story of the mysterious half-dwarf who couldn't tell the difference between a rock and a gemstone. "We must be sure to stop by the Broken Log on the way back. Nothing beats a good broken log!"

[sblock=Dice Test]Test Bluff Roll, take highest: 2D20.HIGH(1)+14+2 = [8, 18]+14+2 = 34
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads