[OT] National Pride?

cthuluftaghn

First Post
One thing I find interesting, due to the culture I was raised in, is how the European members of this community speak so casually about popping over to France for the afternoon, or running up to Scotland for the weekend... or similar such conversations that involve what I have come to call "country hopping".

For someone raised in rural America, leaving the country is a big deal. Some people over here never leave, and the majority leave on rare occasions for vacations that take months or years of planning. (Of course, there is a small minority that's flying outta here on business every other day, but that's not the norm.)

I'd just like an "insider's" view of what it's like to live where you live. Here's my input...

I was born and raised in the United States. I love my country, but I weep for it. We have the right of free speech. The right to freedom of religion. The right to bear arms... we have the right to do everything. Unfortunately, we've become so hung up on what our rights our, that we've lost track of what IS right. America has become so hung up on individuality, that we have lost our culture, in my opinion. That could be a deep and controversial topic by itself, so I'll move on.

I had the privilege of visiting Europe twice when I was in high school. England and Scotland in '89, and Greece in '90. Of course, I only saw everything from a tourist's perspective, but I LOVED it over there. The rich history and pride in tradition really impressed me. I am curious to know if those of you that live over there share the same sentiment, or is all that which is a wonder to me just the boring status quo for you?

I have a lot to say on this, but I'll let y'all pitch in for a while...

EDIT - added OT to post - Henry

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixchan

First Post
Born in raised in Darkest Glasgow, I lost my respect for my country long ago. There is a very bad drug problem here, as well as a crime one. We have halflings in Glasgow, and they're all of evil alignment. I once left here from Japan for some time, but money ran out and I was foced to come back here. I want to live somewhere else, either back in Japan, or somewhere else where I can get Anime at my local video shop. Or even in a shop.

I've been a lot of places, and I've liked it better there than here except for:
London (too similar)
Houston (too hot)
Turkey (the heat was literally suffocating) and
San Francisco (How the hell can it be colder there than here?)

I'd like to travel, but I haven't the money.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think the better analogy here is the feeling a Southerner gets when he visits a state north of the Mason-Dixon line, or a New Yorker visiting a midwestern state. You may see Americans that have never left the U.S., but you RARELY see an American who has never left the state they were born in, even for a short trip.

You have to remember that Countries like the U.S. and the Former Soviet Union, and Ancient Rome are anomalies in history - most sovereign countries in history are the size of Texas or smaller. Whenever this wasn't the case, it was usually invaders conquering another people to acquire large sections of territory that didn't have the same culture.

Europe, though I have never been, has struck me with a much mroe cosmopolitan history, and more open to differences in culture and traditions among near neighbors. So, where we in the southeast talk about taking a trip to Atlanta for the weekend, a French citizen might speak of visiting London or Prague for the weekend getaway. It's as much differences of scale, as it is differences of cultures.

Crothian

First Post
While Americans might not travel outside of country often, there is lots to see just in the continental 48. There are still dozens of places here that I want to visit. And many places the culture is different enough from whereever you may be that it is like another country.

Zappo

Explorer
I know that I'd be spending all my holidays abroad, even the weekends, if I could afford it. I consider a nation as a bureucratic entity above all, crossing a border is no big deal. The people are the same everywhere. If I need planning for a trip, it's only because I need to save as much money as possible.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Remeber in Europe something thats 200 years old isn't that old
and here in America a 200 mile drive isn't that far.

And USA has "countries". I live Florida and people from New England are from another country :D

California its own country. So is Orlando. Orlando is rules by omnipotent rodent with powerful mind control abilities and the power to make money disappear.

Allanon

Explorer
Well as Crothian pointed out it is really a matter of scale and since the introduction of open borders way back and the more 'recent' (since januari 2002) standard currency the 'Euro' traveling has become even more easy for the standard european citizen. Granted England is still sorta independant by holding on to their own coin :p (good for you, already more that 46% of the Dutch population want the gulden back ;))

The rich history and pride in tradition really impressed me. I am curious to know if those of you that live over there share the same sentiment, or is all that which is a wonder to me just the boring status quo for you?

Well maybe it's just me, but The Netherlands although a nice country doesn't have that rich cultural feeling you talk about. Been to Italy, Austria, England, Germany, France and Spain and only a couple of tourist type of places gave me that sensation. Mostly when you travel there with someone who knows the area and guides you to some of the more normal places you'll soon see that most is like back at home, urbanised and boring.

Still the chance to meet people and the general feeling of making friends in other country's is worth it to me. I may see though the illusions created by the travel agencies but I still can have a grand time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases