Where did you first buy your D&D stuff?

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Heard about D&D from some friends and then a rumour that a local stamp shop (Stamp Corner) was selling the rules.

I bought the Moldvay Basic Set and the Cook Expert Set together. By the time BECMI was revamped I'd moved over to 1E AD&D and bought books from Games Workshop in Sheffield. This was back in the 80s when GW sold a myriad of RPGs.

Nowadays, I tend to buy books online (e.g. from Amazon, Infinity Games, etc.).

Hussar

Legend
From a long defunct FLGS in London, Ontario called, appropriately, Fads in the early 80's. But, as I recall, my brother picked up the Moldvay Basic set at some store while we were travelling in the States, way back when.

Was given Moldvay Basic by a friend who was moving into AD&D in '81.

After that it was either Compleat Strategist in NYC, or Allied Hobbies throughout the 80s.

Mercurius

Legend
My first exposure to D&D was at a community gathering in Boulder CO in 1981 or '82, when I was pulled into a VW bus (I think) and handed a character sheet. It was basic D&D, although am not sure which version. Then, either that same year or the next (no later than '82) I was given a set of four hardcover AD&D books--DMG, PHB, MM, and Deities & Demigods--from friends of my older brother who didn't play anymore as they were getting big-time into computers (their loss, my gain).

But as far as where I first bought D&D stuff? I wish I could remember the name of the store, but there was a game store that I would bike to and buy stuff from, I think on 28th and Canyon or so. There was another game store across town that I would occasionally take the bus to. I think both closed sometime in the '90s. I believe the local comic store, Mile High Comics on Pearl Street, sold some D&D stuff, but I can't remember.

Those were the days...Man, I miss good game stores. Most of the ones I've been to lately are rather creepy places, and usually focus on Magic or Warhammer. There is nothing more off-putting than coming into a game store and a motley group of folks playing Magic at the back of the store all turn to stare are you, then go back to what they were doing without a hello.

Remove ads