How I adapted the icons to work in my Neverwinter campaign

landovers

First Post
(I originally posted this on RPGGeek)

First, my personal opinion on the icons:

I loved much about 13th Age, but I have a conflicted relationship with the icon mechanic (pun intended). On one hand its free-style storytelling potential and the way it entwines plots and interests is just my thing. On the other hand, it feels a bit limiting IMHO, while it should be versatile. It feels like everyone in 13th Age is supposed to be an agent. Why should there even be a figure such as the Archmage? Maybe there are a dozen powerful wizards, with not a single on standing out. Surely there can be more than one Dwarf Kingdoms? Demons, for example, usually have such a convoluted hierarchy, with factions, many different powers and goals, but in 13th Age they end up all under the umbrella of a clear leader, the Diabolist. I know that's just the way the game is designed, it's not supposed to fit all settings and play styles, but I gave it a shot to make it more to my liking. I know I'm not alone in this; I've seen many people mention using organizations as icons, for example. I reinterpreted icons as "concepts". Just wanted to share what I came up with.

The story behind this:
D&D 4E had many good fluff books, but the Neverwinter Campaign Guide was by far my favorite. It is small scale (designed for Heroic Tier, which are the first 10 of 30 possible levels), full of gray areas, convoluted agendas and intrigue. I ended up using Neverwinter in my one-shot 13th Age game (back then I just ignored the icon rules) which turned into a campaign. Some disclaimers: I'm a newbie DM. The campaign is just started. I'll butcher the NW setting. I'll also butcher the icons.

My idea in a nutshell:
To fit the smaller scale of the setting, I consider my icons "non-global". So the Prince of Shadows in Neverwinter might not be the same person in Waterdeep or Icewind Dale. This raises the issue: how does one character relate to the Prince of Shadows if they don't know him personally (at least at first)? To fix this, my second idea was to make the icon a concept, not one particular person or organization. Here's what I have so far:

The Emperor: In the setting, Lord Neverember is self-appointed ruler of NW, while the Sons of Alagondar are an opposing group of rebels that served a previous lineage of rulers. There's no real "Emperor" here, it's just the concept of ruling NW that matters. So if a player works for Neverember and is hated by the Sons of Alagondar, he might have a conflicted relationship here. If he supports the rebels and Neverember doesn't know about it, it might be a positive relationship.

The Archmage: Based on the party wizard's background, I had an order of wizards investigating the Spellplague in the city. He's one of them. He receives patronage from the leader of his order, in a manner that resembles a less powerful version of 13th Age's Archmage. There are other wizards in NW, they can also come into play in Archmage relationships.

The Lich King: Easy one. The Thayans are active in the region in the form of the lich Valindra. You can be sure any undead business in the region has her fingerprints all over it, so necromancers and undead hunters will certainly know of her. She responds to Szass Tam, but as far as the setting is concerned she's the biggest deal (of course, of she dies this could change).

The Diabolist: The Ashmadai cult worships devils in NW, so I had to adapt a little, but it's close enough. The wizard Mordai Vell is a leader of the cult. They have relationships with many other factions/icons such as the Thayans, Aboleths, the "Emperor" and the Netherese, in true 13th Age fashion.

The Great Gold Wyrm: The Harpers: "A group that seeks to help NW develop into the bastion of good it was before". Close enough for me, just needed a bit more paladin!

The Orc Lord: Another easy one. The Many-Arrows tribe is in the region, with a vanguard in a ruined area inside the city itself. The leader of the vanguard is Vansi and she's power-hungry and a bit of a pain in the neck for Orc King Obould. So it's unclear who the real Orc Lord is, even though Vansi is being slowly twisted by the Abolethic Sovereignty.

The High Druid: without an obvious equivalent, I replaced him with the Uthgardt lycanthrope barbarians who inhabit the mountains known as the Crags, keeping the "attuned to the wild" theme.

The Elf Queen: The elf city of Sharandar is ruined in the setting. I like the idea of the Elf Queen, so in my game she's there ruling elves in the woods, albeit among the ruins of a once greater fey empire.

The Priestess: In my game the priestess in the Prophet Rohini, and she's bad. This icon is secretly in league with the Abolethic Sovereignty. There are still many good people in Helm's Cathedral honestly trying to illuminate and guide the people, such as Brother Satarin, and there's bound to be a conflict between the clerics and priests of Helm and the Abolethic Sovereignty. I expect this "icon" to evolve a bit during the campaign. Servants of Oghma can come in here as well.

The Prince of Shadows: I I thought about the Netherese (in the setting they are led by Clariburnus Tanthul, one of the twelve Princes of Shade, so very appropriate) but decided to subdue them in my campaign, so I opted to increase the influence of the drow spy/informant group Bregan D'aerthe, led by Jarlaxle, and any other drow in NW.

The Dwarf King: somewhere beneath NW lies the great ancient halls of Gauntlgrym. Many dwarf adventurers seek it. I decided that a good relationship here means just that the PC is somehow famous among dwarves in NW (a negative relationship would mean he's infamous).

The Three: These look a lot like their original icon counterparts, since there's no clear equivalent in NW. I liked Drakkenhall, so I made the Blue ruler of Luskan to the north of NW. The Red sleeps inside the volcano instead of the setting's Primordial. The Black is somewhere in the wilderness.

The Crusader: Sabine is NW's ruthless chief law enforcer and leads the Mintarn soldiers stationed there. They are theoretically on Lord Neverember's side, but I made them more independent and now they are a mercenary group who operates in various militaristic matters.

Overall it was interesting to see how some of the associations were pretty easy to make. It's not perfect, and it's certainly more difficult to keep track of the icons and what they represent, but allows me to use the icon rolls in my setting to guide the story. I'd love to see similar stuff people have come up with. Any suggestions are also very welcome.

Dungeoneer

First Post
(I originally posted this on RPGGeek)

First, my personal opinion on the icons:

I loved much about 13th Age, but I have a conflicted relationship with the icon mechanic (pun intended). On one hand its free-style storytelling potential and the way it entwines plots and interests is just my thing. On the other hand, it feels a bit limiting IMHO, while it should be versatile. It feels like everyone in 13th Age is supposed to be an agent. <snip>
I hear ya. I too have struggled to come to turns with using the icons in non-Dragon Empire settings. Bravo for making the effort, though! In theory it seems like it should work pretty well, as the Neverwinter setting as presented has lots of intrigue and different factions and powers vying for influence.

I know that's just the way the game is designed, it's not supposed to fit all settings and play styles, but I gave it a shot to make it more to my liking. I know I'm not alone in this; I've seen many people mention using organizations as icons, for example. I reinterpreted icons as "concepts". Just wanted to share what I came up with...
<snip>

These sound pretty good to me (I have the NW setting book but have only skimmed it, so I'm no expert). I do notice that you have gone out of your way to 'reskin' all 13 icons. I don't think that that is STRICTLY necessary.

The important thing is not that you find an analog for every icon but that you offer your players a good mix of good, evil and ambiguous icons to have relationships with. If, for instance, there isn't really a Crusader-type figure in the NW setting, leave it out! Or replace with another major figure that is more relevant, even if they aren't a 'dark paladin' type.

Over on his blog, Lester Gash has been talking about adapting the icons to his own homebrew setting. He wrote something I thought was brilliant:

Treat your icons like living plot hooks. Got an idea for a scenario, or campaign? One of the greatest things about icons is they let the DM know exactly what style of game and types of stories the players interested in. That doesn't mean it can't work both ways though! Turn your idea into an icon and see if any players bite! Chances are at least one will, if it's as good as you think it is!
I think this is it in a nutshell: icons are living plot hooks. They are great because they let the characters know what parts of the world you, as the DM, think would make good stories. And they let the players respond by telling you which ones specifically appeal to them!

So for example if you do indeed use Gauntlgrym for the dwarf lord and a couple players pick it, that tells you that Gauntlgrym should indeed be a focus of your campaign.

On the flip side if there's an icon that doesn't appeal to you as a campaign focus, drop it.

Just some personal thoughts. I'd be interested to know how this works out for you!

landovers

First Post
(...) I do notice that you have gone out of your way to 'reskin' all 13 icons. I don't think that that is STRICTLY necessary.

The important thing is not that you find an analog for every icon but that you offer your players a good mix of good, evil and ambiguous icons to have relationships with. (...)

That makes a lot of sense (and is precisely in tune with what replies to this thread elsewhere pointed out). I think the problem is I lacked some examples of how to use different icons, and was needlessly restricting myself. The few sessions I've watched on Youtube and the podcast with Rob Heinsoo as DM all used the standard icons. The core book focuses so much on the standard 13 that I was having trouble envisioning alternatives.

The "living plot hooks" comment is interesting: Icons can be people, organizations, ideals or concepts, but the main thing is they're there to engage characters in the plot and guide the story in directions that are unexpected and interesting for the players. Thanks for the article, it's a cool example of what I was going for.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Thanks for posting these, [MENTION=6750964]landovers[/MENTION]. Like you, I also have a conflicted relationship with the Icon mechanic which, in one sense, is odd because my games revolve heavily around factions and villains could, in theory, be turned into icons. I'm also running a Neverwinter game that riffs off the Neverwinter Campaign Setting but is otherwise fairly different (basic rule-of-thumb: if R A Salvatore invented it, it's not in my game [beyond the eruption of Mt Hotenow]).

A year or so ago there was a fairly interesting article posted at Critical Hits with suggesting about using the character themes as icons - click here - and I can't help but think of the new factions posted at the redesigned WotC website as nothing but icons in disguise.

landovers

First Post
A year or so ago there was a fairly interesting article posted at Critical Hits with suggesting about using the character themes as icons - click here - and I can't help but think of the new factions posted at the redesigned WotC website as nothing but icons in disguise.

Someone had pointed that Critical Hits article to me elsewhere as well. When I was coming up with my icons I was actually impressed to see how closely the character themes translated to icons, and I kept them in mind, but the article goes even further. I'm think an Icon relationship can be thought of as a broader, less specific version of a theme, and it looks like its easy to translate from one to the other.

Remove ads