D&D 5E [LMoP] My Players just cakewalked through Part 1 (Spoilers)

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm running the Starter Set adventure with six players (five of them are using the pregens and one a Human Wizard who is really not much of a combatant) and so far they're having an easy time with every encounter up to Redbrands Hideout (which they'll assault next session). I've read about the adventure being quite lethal and people ragequitting the game after being TPKed by goblins on the first encounter, so I'm at a loss to know if I'm doing something wrong as the DM or they are playing really smart and/or having a lot of luck.
No you're not doing anything wrong, and your group isn't especially clever.

They're just not newbies or unorganized ditzes.

Let's put something straight. It's a starter module. It's not supposed to kill off characters.

That this still happens (and that players are ragequitting) is more an indication of how 5E is bringing in people unaccustomed to the tropes of ttrpgs, people unaccustomed to cooperating as a group, and so on.

Any group with minimal prior experience will have to experience seriously bad luck to find the module challenging.

For instance, the green dragon. Expect your group to successfully bring it to half hp and to drive it off.

The difference between reasonably competent players (as in people playing the game well; D&D isn't just an opportunity to characterize a role, it's also a game) and... some other people we read about... can be quite astounding.

I wouldn't worry.

If anything, 5th edition is too easy, not too hard. But don't worry about this now - you will find out yourself once you enter tier III play...

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No you're not doing anything wrong, and your group isn't especially clever.

They're just not newbies or unorganized ditzes.

Let's put something straight. It's a starter module. It's not supposed to kill off characters.

That this still happens (and that players are ragequitting) is more an indication of how 5E is bringing in people unaccustomed to the tropes of ttrpgs, people unaccustomed to cooperating as a group, and so on.

Any group with minimal prior experience will have to experience seriously bad luck to find the module challenging.

For instance, the green dragon. Expect your group to successfully bring it to half hp and to drive it off.

The difference between reasonably competent players (as in people playing the game well; D&D isn't just an opportunity to characterize a role, it's also a game) and... some other people we read about... can be quite astounding.

I wouldn't worry.

If anything, 5th edition is too easy, not too hard. But don't worry about this now - you will find out yourself once you enter tier III play...
3 years and 8 months later, I hope that advice helps the OP.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases