5E Player's Handbook Binding
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 90
  1. #1
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    Mercurius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The center and periphery
    Posts
    3,291
    Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

    ° Block Mercurius


    ° Friend+

    Player's Handbook Binding

    I've got the 5E books pre-ordered on Amazon but I couldn't resist checking out the Player's Handbook so went down to the fairly local game store to check it out. Aside from the obvious wow-factor of the book, I was a bit irked by the binding. There were two copies left and the end papers on both were crinkled - on one it was the front end paper, on the other it was the back end paper; the latter one also had a slightly cocked binding.

    Now neither of them were that bad and barely noticeable. But for a $50 book, I'd like it to be damn near well perfect. I would have bought it right there as the game store sells D&D books for 20% off, so it was only $40, but I hesitated, hoping my pre-ordered copy is immaculate.

    Anyone else noticing minor issues with the binding?

  2. #2
    Member
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Larchmont, NY 10538
    Posts
    1,431
    Reviews
    Read 8 Reviews

    ° Block Rhenny


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    I've got the 5E books pre-ordered on Amazon but I couldn't resist checking out the Player's Handbook so went down to the fairly local game store to check it out. Aside from the obvious wow-factor of the book, I was a bit irked by the binding. There were two copies left and the end papers on both were crinkled - on one it was the front end paper, on the other it was the back end paper; the latter one also had a slightly cocked binding.

    Now neither of them were that bad and barely noticeable. But for a $50 book, I'd like it to be damn near well perfect. I would have bought it right there as the game store sells D&D books for 20% off, so it was only $40, but I hesitated, hoping my pre-ordered copy is immaculate.

    Anyone else noticing minor issues with the binding?
    Interestingly, when I went in on Friday morning to buy my copy from my local store, the guy at the store told me that when they got their shipment earlier that week, all of the books they ordered were damaged. The owner personally drove them back to the distributor and got new ones before selling them.

    I bet some boxes have been dropped on their edges, which will bang up the spines.

    Hopefully, it won't be a huge issue.

    I have to say, I'm happy with my copy!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    I've got the 5E books pre-ordered on Amazon but I couldn't resist checking out the Player's Handbook so went down to the fairly local game store to check it out. Aside from the obvious wow-factor of the book, I was a bit irked by the binding. There were two copies left and the end papers on both were crinkled - on one it was the front end paper, on the other it was the back end paper; the latter one also had a slightly cocked binding.

    Now neither of them were that bad and barely noticeable. But for a $50 book, I'd like it to be damn near well perfect. I would have bought it right there as the game store sells D&D books for 20% off, so it was only $40, but I hesitated, hoping my pre-ordered copy is immaculate.

    Anyone else noticing minor issues with the binding?

    A buddy of mine and I stopped by our local hobby store today and I glanced at the new 5e Player's Handbook while I was there. Flipping through the spells section of one of the books, I noticed several pages that looked as though the printer was almost out of ink. The lettering, though I could still make out what it said, was faded and streaked severely. On several copies of the 5e PHB, the shiny gloss cover was scratched, and on a couple, the black matte finish on the back cover was scratched off in places. Now, obviously, the latter two issues were the fault of bad handling somewhere along the way between the print shop's shipping department, to the book's placement on the shelf. But there is no excuse for the faded ink. And the decision to use the shiny, high gloss, and the black matte finishing on the covers, that are so easily damaged, are the product of faulty decisions. Neither is excusable, in my opinion, on a book with a price tag of $50 and some change after taxes.

    I may not have cared much for 4e, but it seems to me the quality of the book covers and their bindings (not necessarily the art on the cover, mind you) was of much better quality.
    Last edited by Pentegarn; Saturday, 9th August, 2014 at 10:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,960
    Reviews
    Read 31 Reviews
    Doctor WhoD&DWotC EvacueeEN World EN5iderRavenloft

    ° Block Jester David


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
    Flipping through the spells section of one of the books, I noticed several pages that looked as though the printer was almost out of ink.
    ...
    But there is no excuse for the faded ink.
    I have some faded ink in my copy as well. I imagine that has to do with getting 100,000 copies out in under two months. Less time to change toner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
    I may not have cared much for 4e, but it seems to me the quality of the book covers and their bindings (not necessarily the art on the cover, mind you) was of much better quality.
    You probably don't remember the 4e core books goof, with the ink that reacted poorly to the oil in some people's hands and smeared when touched.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
    You probably don't remember the 4e core books goof, with the ink that reacted poorly to the oil in some people's hands and smeared when touched.

    Nah, didn't know anything about that. My turning to 4e was a desperation move to get away from the rule bloated 3e/Pathfinder system after my 2e/AD&D books had been destroyed by water damage. So I didn't try 4e til 2010-2011 (somewhere 'round there).

  6. #6
    Member
    Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,960
    Reviews
    Read 31 Reviews
    Doctor WhoD&DWotC EvacueeEN World EN5iderRavenloft

    ° Block Jester David


    ° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
    Nah, didn't know anything about that. My turning to 4e was a desperation move to get away from the rule bloated 3e/Pathfinder system after my 2e/AD&D books had been destroyed by water damage. So I didn't try 4e til 2010-2011 (somewhere 'round there).
    Yeah, it was a really sore point for a lot of people. Imagine touching a page and the text just smears under your fingers, like tones that wasn't sealed. They quickly changed the ink though, and it only affected certain people.

    It's hard not to have some duds when you're making thousands of copies of something. I saw some copies of 3e books with errors, including a Monster Manual with a flipped interiour (upside down compared to the cover). And since most gamers are tech savvy, and likely to get angry when an expected book is damaged/ imperfect, we're likely to hear more horror stories than other products.

    There's always the risk of little errors. For example, my copy has a little extra glue from the binding that was atop the pages, but I spotted it before it could rip the pages.
    They can't have someone checking every page of every copy. So bad copies will get out. But, most of the time, those will be easy enough to replace.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
    Yeah, it was a really sore point for a lot of people. Imagine touching a page and the text just smears under your fingers, like tones that wasn't sealed. They quickly changed the ink though, and it only affected certain people.

    It's hard not to have some duds when you're making thousands of copies of something. I saw some copies of 3e books with errors, including a Monster Manual with a flipped interiour (upside down compared to the cover). And since most gamers are tech savvy, and likely to get angry when an expected book is damaged/ imperfect, we're likely to hear more horror stories than other products.

    There's always the risk of little errors. For example, my copy has a little extra glue from the binding that was atop the pages, but I spotted it before it could rip the pages.
    They can't have someone checking every page of every copy. So bad copies will get out. But, most of the time, those will be easy enough to replace.

    Of course there's going to be mistakes. But all these defects I spotted was just by glancing. I didn't even open the other copies. The other were all damaged on the exterior. The one I picked up was the only one with a decent exterior. And I only flipped through it to guage the art and presentation. The faded ink wasn't restricted to the spells section. It's just that the spells section was more quickly noticed because it was multiple pages.

    Granted, I never really planned on purchasing the book, but other books I purchased that were $50+, had quality covers, binding, art and presentation, and were generally 400(ish) pages. I'm sure there were flawed version of those to make it to the shelves as well, but I've never witnessed so many, and with such glaring flaws.

    I've never minded giving that price for a book I wanted, and I always try to support hobby and book stores as I have had many fond memories visiting them throughout my youth, but my advice for anyone buying a 5e PHB (at least during this 1st printing) is buy it from Amazon. The odds of you getting a quality copy doesn't look as though it's worth risking $50. That or give the book a thorough inspection at your local retailer before dropping the money on it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    chibi graz'zt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Palace of Zelatar
    Posts
    862
    Reviews
    Read 21 Reviews

    ° Block chibi graz'zt


    ° Friend+
    Binding on mine seems solid, just got them today, they open nicely and well bound.

    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 988
Size:  120.2 KB

  9. #9
    Member
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Block LabyrinthLord718


    ° Friend+
    I agree; a retailer should be responsible for ensuring that the copies that hit their shelves are free from defects.
    It's really not fair to expect someone to plunk down $50 (especially in this economy) for a book with a dinged, dented, or damaged cover.
    I hope you brought the issues to the attention of the store staff.
    It's one thing to be unaware of an issue, but quite another to allow them plausible deniability.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by LabyrinthLord718 View Post
    I agree; a retailer should be responsible for ensuring that the copies that hit their shelves are free from defects.
    It's really not fair to expect someone to plunk down $50 (especially in this economy) for a book with a dinged, dented, or damaged cover.
    I hope you brought the issues to the attention of the store staff.
    It's one thing to be unaware of an issue, but quite another to allow them plausible deniability.
    ^ This.

    My FLGS owner is extremely fastidious, and my book is pristine and solid.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Player's Handbook 2
    By C.W.Richeson in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Saturday, 30th May, 2009, 09:55 PM
  2. 4E Playerĺs Handbook II
    By The Grumpy Celt in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Monday, 16th June, 2008, 07:24 AM
  3. Player's Handbook II
    By Wik in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Saturday, 19th August, 2006, 11:37 PM
  4. For those of you who own a 3.0 Player's Handbook...
    By Egres in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Friday, 28th January, 2005, 12:13 AM
  5. Warped Binding in the FR Player's Guide to Faerun?
    By reiella in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sunday, 21st March, 2004, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •