The next Game of Thrones? Try Dragonlance!

Quartz

Hero
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...05/What-will-be-the-next-Game-of-Thrones.html

The Dragonlance Chronicles (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman)
On screen, Game of Thrones deals gingerly with the overtly fantastical aspects of the George RR Martin novels. There are witches and giants, but not so many that it starts to feel silly. At the other end of the spectrum we find the Dragonlance novels, heaving with gnomes, dwarves, Arthurian knights and dragons with exuberantly bonkers names such as Cyan Bloodbane. Fans of unexpurgated spectacle – such as those millions who flocked to the latest Transformers movie – would go wobbly-kneed for it.

Dragonlance has one major advantage over GoT: it's complete.

Umm... no. Dragon Lance would make a terrible TV show. Not that it's a bad story. It's just that I don't think it can be done well on screen. It would require a lot of special effects, probably done with CGI, to create a lot of the creatures and settings. The writing would also get butchered. I heard tales of a Dragon Lance cartoon being made. Fortunately that atrocity never happened.

The Malazan series would also not translate well. On a side note, I liked the Malazan series, for the most part; however, one of my pet peeves was the constant grunting characters did in that series. Every time someone got up, sat down, or said hi, they had to grunt. It's like everyone was constipated, and they were in the middle of trying to push when they were inconveniently interrupted.

Dioltach

Legend
Umm... no. Dragon Lance would make a terrible TV show. Not that it's a bad story. It's just that I don't think it can be done well on screen. It would require a lot of special effects, probably done with CGI, to create a lot of the creatures and settings. The writing would also get butchered. I heard tales of a Dragon Lance cartoon being made. Fortunately that atrocity never happened.

There was the animated version of Autumn Twilight, with Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless. Not very memorable.

There was the rumored but never happened animated version of Autumn Twilight, with Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless. Not very memorable Never happened... ever.
Exactly! It never happened, but if it did, and for some reason I was gullible enough to have watched it, I'm pretty sure I would say it was horrible.

Quartz

Hero
Just a thought: it would be interesting to see Kitiara get the GoT treatment.

Yes, that would make for some interesting sexposition scenes. But making Dragonlance X-rated would ruin it. Part of the charm of the books is that they're thoroughly PG.

Remove ads