D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

the Jester

Legend
Some of these monsters are EXTREMELY dangerous! The mummy rot is nasty! Mummies are only a CR3 creature, but a cleric needs to be 5th level to get Remove Curse. A party better know ahead of time what they are up against, or they will be sorely pressed not to have some players permanently killed, especially if they are days away from higher level Cleric NPCs.

I, for one, appreciate a fairly lethal game.

It seems that you share my enthusiasm. :)

Lancelot

Adventurer
Well there's one odd retcon in there. Rakshasa are now specifically linked to and originate in the 9 Hells, rather than previously an implied link to Acheron. That seems an unnecessary change.

Rakshasa link to the Nine Hells predates 2e. I recall a "creature frequency" table under the Devil section of the 1e Monster Manual 2 which included rakshasa alongside other inhabitants, such as imps, hellcats, stench kow, etc. I don't have my copy in front of me, but I'm pretty darn certain of this. It was either in the MM2, or it was in a Dragon magazine issue of the same era (e.g. the classic #75/76/91 Hells series, or a response/errata by Gygax or Greenwood to same).

Given this was (to the best of my knowledge) the very first mention of the plane of origin for rakshasa, then it's not necessarily odd or unprecedented. They've just decided to take it old-school. I kind of appreciate this. I also like the old school empyreans/titans (back to being Greek), the return to the arcanaloth (from the completely unnecessary ravasta), cambions = cambions, succubi = demons (or devils, whatever your preference), and modrons as core. Better days for us Planescapers.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Nope, because the book actually states that, unless specified otherwise, summoned monsters are worth full XP. So the encounter gets tougher, but the summoning demon itself doesn't.

Such a simple and yet good change.

Makes total XP match better the difficulty of an encounter every time and not just on the long term.

Allows for some creatures to even occasionally summon others more powerful than themselves.

pemerton

Legend
Well there's one odd retcon in there. Rakshasa are now specifically linked to and originate in the 9 Hells, rather than previously an implied link to Acheron. That seems an unnecessary change.
See, that is exactly the kind of stuff I don't get. Why would they do that? Who stands to gain from this change?
As [MENTION=30022]Lancelot[/MENTION] noted, this is a return to 1st ed AD&D lore. The table that [MENTION=30022]Lancelot[/MENTION] refers to is found in MM2 (under the Devil entry). And in Dragon 75, Ed Greenwood's discussion of the 2nd Hell (Dis) refers to the role of rakshasas on that plane.

beej

Explorer
The lich is terrifying. Suddenly we can say that its been doing a lot of research these past few centuries as it can do 9th level spells now.

On a fluff note, I'm glad that it finally lost that crown. I always hated the D&D lich's crown for some reason.

Remove ads