D&D 5E NPC based on ATLA's Master Piandao

Afrodyte

Explorer
I'm getting started on running a city-based campaign, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but just for my own amusement, and to create a fighter that's awesome, I want to make Master Piandao because this character fits the cultural and aesthetic elements of my campaign very well.

Key elements:
  • Phenomenal swordsman, favoring the longsword
  • Swordmaker, calligrapher, painter
  • Extremely agile
  • No heavy armor, if any
  • Strategic approach to combat
  • Acute senses
  • Seasoned warrior
  • Won many battles
  • Believes that creativity, versatility, intelligence define a great swordsman
  • Lost taste for war
Race: Human. Although a case can be made for half-elf or even elf, he's a human on the show, and that could stay the same.
Alignment: Neutral Good. He cares deeply about the greater good and will work to achieve it but does not particularly care about rules, orders, or what he's expected to do.
Class: Fighter. Becoming the swordsman in the world requires the focus and dedication to warfare granted by the fighter class. As a person at the pinnacle of human ability, he would certainly be in the higher tiers. Although a case can be made for Piandao being level 17-20, he definitely fits within level 11-16. "These mighty adventurers often confront threats to whole regions and continents" seems just about right. Let's put him at level 16 because he has to be that good in order to hold his own against those who have magical abilities.
Background: His background says that he grew up among the nobility, but most of his experience comes through military experience. Either noble or soldier fits, but if he were a 1st-level character, I'd pick the noble background.
Ability scores (27 point buy): Piandao is quite well-rounded physically and mentally, although speed and agility get better as he trains. Using the variant human rules, he starts off with Strength 13 (+1), Dexterity 14 (+2), Constitution 13 (+1), Intelligence 14 (+2), Wisdom 14 (+4), Charisma 10 (+0). By the time he reaches 16th level, his scores would be: Strength 14 (+2), Dexterity 18 (+4), Constitution 14 (+2), Intelligence 14 (+2), Wisdom 14 (+2), Charisma 12 (+1)
Armor Class: 15 (leather)
Hit Points: 99
Saves: Strength +7, Constitution +7
Proficiency bonus: +5
Skills: Acrobatics +9, Athletics +7, History +7, Intimidation +6, passive Investigation 17, Perception +9 (passive Perception 19), Persuasion +9
Tools: calligrapher's tools, painter's tools, smith's tools
Languages: Common, Dwarfish, Elvish
Weapons: Rapier +9 (1d8+4 piercing). Choosing rapier because Piandao's movements rely more on agility, reflexes, and precision than raw power, and he would design a weapon that would enhance this.
Feats: Defensive Duelist, Observant, Skilled
Features
Fighting Style (Duelist). +2 bonus to damage rolls while wielding a melee weapon in one hand
Second Wind. Use a bonus action to regain 1d10+16 hit points. Must take a short or long rest before using it again.
Action Surge. Take one additional action on top of a regular action and a possible bonus action. Must take a short or long rest before using it again.
Martial Archetype (Battle Master)
  • Student of War. Proficiency with smith's tools.
  • Know Your Enemy. Spend at least 1 minute observing or interacting with another creature outside of combat to learn if they are equal, superior, or inferior in regards to two of the following: Strength score, Dexterity score, Constitution score, Armor Class, current hit points, total class levels (if any), and fighter class levels (if any).
  • Improved Combat Superiority. 6 superiority dice (d10s). A superiority die is expended when used. Regain all expended superiority dice after a short or long rest. Saving throws to resist maneuver effects is DC 17.
  • Maneuvers. Disarming Attack, Evasive Footwork, Feinting Attack, Goading Attack, Parry, Precision Attack, Riposte, Sweeping Attack, Trip Attack
  • Relentless. When rolling initiative with no remaining superiority dice, regain 1 superiority die.

I believe this fits him very well, but if there are some stats that would suit his concept better (not particular about optimizing), what would you suggest?

Remove ads